U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:01 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,239,300 times

Advertisements

Listening to a talk show on the way home from a doctor's appointment today, he was talking about the murder of an 18 year old girl and the guy who murdered her was sentenced 25 yrs to life.
He was going on and on about what it meant to be 18 -- all the stuff a girl in her senior year would have to look forward to, etc.
Then he talked at length about graduation day, he could remember his down to a T, and kept saying how it was something no one would ever forget, graduating, senior ball, etc., etc.
Well I can tell you right now at almost 74, I do not remember anything about graduation. It is a total blank. I must have done it, I still have my diploma. But remember the day? Where it was?? Inside, outside?
Good grief, if I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, how and why would I remember my graduation when I was 18?

Do any of you remember high school graduation day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:25 PM

13,213 posts, read 6,313,926 times
When I have a bad night, sleeplessness due to cold, I can't seem to Rembrandt much. I used to have much better memory. This is kind of bothering me. But I still temper my graduation day, but ask me that question in 20 years. I might not remember.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:48 PM

20 posts, read 14,926 times
I generally try to forget about them.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,215,210 times
My father has Alzheimer's. Recently, while at rehab, he was given a cognitive evaluation. The result was "moderate to severe cognitive decline". How is an orange and an apple alike? Name the days of the week backwards beginning with Sunday. Epic fail.

Can he recognize car keys? Heck, yes. He was also driving until two months ago because his EYE doctor told him he needed to stop until his cataracts are removed. The cataract surgery is scheduled.

The key "test" means nothing.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:45 PM

9,776 posts, read 14,946,433 times
I see a person from my past who I have not seen in many year. I don't remember his name. On the way home I remember we worked in the same paper mill 40 years ago.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:28 PM

6,302 posts, read 3,569,825 times
Thanks, LauraC, for the fun new game site!

I can remember my High School graduation day but only because my husband (boyfriend then) gave me a diamond right before it started. I was one of the speakers but the only thing I remember was that I was wearing expensive shoes ($10.00) and hoping that I was turning my hand to catch the light right so my diamond would be flashing for the audience.

Hah. I don't think that young thing was anywhere near old enough to get married. Head full of dreams. And here we are going on forty-nine years.

Occasionally I've taken that memory test where they ask you to count out loud backwards from one-hundred by sevens. Math never being my forte it was hard for me when I was eighteen. Can't say it's gotten any easier.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Listening to a talk show on the way home from a doctor's appointment today, he was talking about the murder of an 18 year old girl and the guy who murdered her was sentenced 25 yrs to life.
He was going on and on about what it meant to be 18 -- all the stuff a girl in her senior year would have to look forward to, etc.
Then he talked at length about graduation day, he could remember his down to a T, and kept saying how it was something no one would ever forget, graduating, senior ball, etc., etc.
Well I can tell you right now at almost 74, I do not remember anything about graduation. It is a total blank. I must have done it, I still have my diploma. But remember the day? Where it was?? Inside, outside?
Good grief, if I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, how and why would I remember my graduation when I was 18?

Yes and no. Not with that much detail. But then, I always tell young people, there is LIFE after high school. And I had a good high school "life", but it wasn't everything.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:50 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Default How Do You React To Memory Blanks As You Age?

I forget!

Actually, it's a bit annoying and frustrating at times but usually, perhaps hours later, I'll remember what I forgot. Of course, then I have to try to remember why I cared.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 PM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

I remember my high school graduation was in a then non-air conditioned Commack Arena a day or two after the circus left and it smelled like it, too. That's all I remember --- elephant poop smell.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 AM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
There are times when I contemplate opening up a new thread on CD.com, I hesitate, worry a bit: I hope I'm not opening up a thread I opened long ago (enrolled in 2007) or even not too long ago! And some moderator will come along and chastise me for duplicating a thread!

It really does a job on my head, sometimes, when someone digs up some old thread, from years ago, and not looking at the date of the Opening Thread, I think it's a brand new thread, and I go along, page after page, and there I am! I responded to it years ago, and completely forgot!

Now that's one event I remember all too well, my high school graduation. My mother asked me what I wanted for a graduation present, and I said, with my backpack, to take me to the I-90/Hwy 52 interchange as, even at 10pm, I was too eager to get out of dodge, hitchhike out to California! And, once there, I fell on my face, had to beg for airfare back home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or