U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:45 AM

17,751 posts, read 11,279,332 times

Advertisements

I have my senior moments, but one thing that has really helped is my going back to work full time. I retired twice, once for 3 years and a second time for a year and a half, and I started to vegetate. Once I got back to working, I had to solve problems all day long and interface with other people, that helped a lot. I am constantly being challenged to work out some problem for a customer and that has helped keep my brain oiled.

But when I feel that empty space in my head when I am trying to remember something I know as well as my own name, it is infuriating. I try my best to recall what I am trying to remember, but you feel that void in your head and it is very strange.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 AM

5,266 posts, read 678,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
From a recent report I read, it's not that worrisome if you forget where your car keys are. Or where you parked the car. What's worrisome is not knowing what the keys are for, or what to do when you get into the car. Made me feel better because I always have trouble remembering where I park. I try to park in the same area of stores I frequent.
I took care of this issue when I purchased a screamin' green Mazda 2--I have no trouble finding my car in a parking lot now

Old 02-11-2016, 06:13 AM

32,200 posts, read 36,816,104 times
I've read where Statin drugs for cholesterol causes memory loss. I've debated if that's one of my main reasons for losing some of the short term memory.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM

678 posts, read 846,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Listening to a talk show on the way home from a doctor's appointment today, he was talking about the murder of an 18 year old girl and the guy who murdered her was sentenced 25 yrs to life.
He was going on and on about what it meant to be 18 -- all the stuff a girl in her senior year would have to look forward to, etc.
Then he talked at length about graduation day, he could remember his down to a T, and kept saying how it was something no one would ever forget, graduating, senior ball, etc., etc.
Well I can tell you right now at almost 74, I do not remember anything about graduation. It is a total blank. I must have done it, I still have my diploma. But remember the day? Where it was?? Inside, outside?
Good grief, if I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, how and why would I remember my graduation when I was 18?

Do any of you remember high school graduation day?
Yes I do. I remember the entire day. Even down to the pictures my mom took of me beforehand. Where they sat in the bleachers. Having my name called. Dinner after. I also remember the young man who asked me to prom and where we were when he asked. Now, will I remember it tomorrow, next year? Sure hope so!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:18 AM

3,747 posts, read 4,235,555 times
I cannot remember my high school graduation at all. I'm not even sure I attended, but it seems likely I did. I clearly remember my nursing school graduation that took place three years later.

As far as my most frustrating blank moments, there are a few that freaked me out. These include:

Getting into my 12 year old vehicle after returning a rental vehicle and finding I was unable to immediately recall how to adjust the passenger side mirror.

Failing to remember the name of my favorite author.

Failing to remember the PIN for my bank card (of course).

Going "blank" and incorrectly guessing the answers to two questions on an I.Q. test that I would have answered correctly had I been tested the day/week before. (This was when I underwent a cognitive assessment for self-reported memory issues, ha ha.)

I was used to having memory problems because of my ADHD but those listed above were of a different nature and scared the bejesus out of me.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,223,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've read where Statin drugs for cholesterol causes memory loss. I've debated if that's one of my main reasons for losing some of the short term memory.

So does smoking marijuana. Not that I have any reason to believe you do, but a lot of people have been smoking the stuff for 40 or 50 years now.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM

27,254 posts, read 9,246,164 times
I have spent most of my lifetime trying not to remember anything about yesterday. No point in hanging on to a bunch of clutter that competes with really useless information that gets stored. It has the added benefit of not having anyone ask me questions about pass events and keeps me focused on the now. I don't remember names or numbers. If they are important I will write then down and put them someplace where I can't find them. I have a large file drawer some place with all that important info. I don't remember where it is but I do have it. If I need the information I can organize a search and locate it instantly after several hours looking in the ten most likely places. Been taking Statin drugs for a few years and they don't seem to effect my memory, least not that I can recall.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM

17,472 posts, read 21,341,077 times
I used to think that taking photo's on trips, saving postcards, travel stubs, would be of help one day as I aged, and about a year ago, I delved into a huge box of postcards, travel stubs, photo's, and I was going to organize, put everything in chronological order, ever since my first domestic or foreign trip in 1968.

You do know that, after whatever timeframe, they stopped printing the dates on photo's, but even with some photo's with dates, I was at a loss as to who went with me on a particular trip. I'm on a boat, smiling, with the Statue of Liberty in the background, and who took the picture?

Wherever I've traveled, if the hotel offered a post card, I'd take one for future memories. There I am staring at a postcard of a Hotel in Wales, and

I found an airline receipt, from 1976, a one way ticket to Louisville from Minneapolis. Yes, one way, and I know nobody there! It took me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to figure that one out! I was to meet a friend of mine there, visiting relatives, who wanted me to fly down and help him drive to Florida and back.

I saved some train stubs for a 6 week Euro-train trip around Europe in 1972, and I was trying to re-piece that trip together, with missing train stubs. Ok! Where did I go from here or there?

And is it really all that important? Heavens no! And why get so worked up over it!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 AM

890 posts, read 681,682 times
The "gold standard" memory test is one simple question asked at the end of a day. It is, do you remember what you had for breakfast?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:18 AM

4,715 posts, read 3,280,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Yes I do. I remember the entire day. Even down to the pictures my mom took of me beforehand. Where they sat in the bleachers. Having my name called. Dinner after. I also remember the young man who asked me to prom and where we were when he asked. Now, will I remember it tomorrow, next year? Sure hope so!

Just to be safe, make a scrapbook with the pictures and write down all that you can remember now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or