U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:55 PM

7,457 posts, read 4,324,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
When you drive around trying to find your car keys and realize they are in the ignition you have a problem

My car doesn't have an ignition. Just a push button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM

11,347 posts, read 8,583,031 times
I don't sweat it. My hard drive's full. One of the supplements I take is E. When I suspected one of my horses had EPM one of the things recommended was vitamin E therapy for the nervous system. So I take it now. (He didn't have EPM, thankfully, however he did go blind)

Old 02-11-2016, 06:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,119,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

How about you? Do you find yourself spending an inordinate time, at times, trying to remember things that aren't all that important to remember? Or are there times it sends you into a panic? Like, I think I'm losing my memory!
Today I was at the library and the woman at the checkout desk brought up my record of recent book and DVD loans. There was a whole string of small fines on most of them. I objected, saying I returned all on time. She turned the computer screen my way and I did not recognize half the titles the computer claims I not only had checked out, but had racked up fines on. I was aghast. I wracked my brain, total blank, what were these items? Surely I neither chose nor read them. They must've mixed me up with another patron! (the return of materials is a sloppy area on the counter, surely someone else checked these things out and....) Well the upshot is I did indeed check out (and returned) all those items. The ones I didn't remember were returned on the same day as the ones I did remember and read. I looked like an idiot to the librarian, who got involved, and joked about early dementia (no laughing matter). I left there seriously worried for my memory blanks. Just one of a number of episodes lately.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,373,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Good point. Or, that you find your keys in the refrigerator?
My friend put her checkbook (years ago when everyone used them) in the freezer with the meat she unpacked from the grocery store. Her daughter found it quite a while afterwards - after she'd ordered new checks, LOL!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,373,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I don't sweat it. My hard drive's full. One of the supplements I take is E. When I suspected one of my horses had EPM one of the things recommended was vitamin E therapy for the nervous system. So I take it now. (He didn't have EPM, thankfully, however he did go blind)
Check out Qunol CoQ10 - great for cardiovascular system, aches, and memory

Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 PM

20,455 posts, read 11,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
From a recent report I read, it's not that worrisome if you forget where your car keys are. Or where you parked the car. What's worrisome is not knowing what the keys are for, or what to do when you get into the car. Made me feel better because I always have trouble remembering where I park! I try to park in the same area of stores I frequent.
Absolutely. Most often, what I forget are minor things I simply didn't pay close attention to in the first place. For whatever reason, at a younger age I'd likely have remembered it.

But I don't forget (yet) things I make a point of remembering, or things I actually knew--long term memories.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,167,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Used to walk into rooms in my 30s and forget why I went there. I too do the alphabet trick. If it doesn't come to me then, it generally pops into my head the next day. Just takes a little longer on the retrieval. I joke with my husband, my brain has to go fetch if from off-line storage.
I have done that for years and still do it. But I remember what it was when I go back to the room I just left, maybe that counts for something.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:54 PM

17,600 posts, read 21,470,707 times
Some memory slips can be rather costly.

Last April, when writing out checks for my monthly bills, I was thinking it was May, and dated them one month ahead of time, in effect, all postdated checks. I ended up with 2 late charges on my credit cards!

And I know what they were thinking: he doesn't have enough money in the bank, thus, postdated!

And please don't try and persuade me to go with online banking, with all the identity theft going on! You can try hard to persuade me to use this stamp-saving service, but you'll end up banging your head against a concrete wall!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 3,331,278 times
^^^^^^ Most of my bills are paid by autopay. I'm beginning to question how smart that is for me. The past two months I have made two payments on the same bill, which left me with a 0 balance and withdrawal from my line of credit.

I've always been really good at keeping this stuff straight. But lately I wonder if I need to go back to writing checks.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM

20,455 posts, read 11,398,522 times
I don't consider autopay a good idea at all, especially not from the biller side. My general rule is: Never give anyone else authorization to pull money out of your bank account.

But I don't otherwise have a problem with paying bills directly from my bank account online. Unless you eschew online access completely, there is no further vulnerability to scheduling payments online...the vulnerability lies in having online access in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or