Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:12 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an autobiography, he was talking about his grade school days, the rainy days when you couldn't go outside for recess, and I got to thinking of my grade school days in Minnesota, those long winters, snowy days, rainy days, and I got stumped thinking of what we did on those days in grade school? Blank!

With Facebook, I've tried to remember names of childhood friends I grew up with, thinking, hoping I might find them on Facebook, but the names? First name ain't gonna do me no good! Last name?

I dated someone in high school, occasionally, I know her first name, but can't quite spell out the last name, and she may have married, died, so gone with the wind!

I don't get upset by these memory blanks as they're not crucial to my survival, and haven't I got better things to do then remember something that's, essentially, inconsequential?

I figure if it was really important to remember, I'd remember it, no?

How about you? Do you find yourself spending an inordinate time, at times, trying to remember things that aren't all that important to remember? Or are there times it sends you into a panic? Like, I think I'm losing my memory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Because we lose brain cells as we age we have less and less space in our short term memory for the things we don't really care to remember.

Things are like echo's and are only there until they aren't.

I was pretty concerned .

Then unknown to me when we applied for long term care insurance they sent someone to our house to do a comprehensive work up and memory tests.

I found because i was so focused on the tests that i aced it.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:27 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
How about you? Do you find yourself spending an inordinate time, at times, trying to remember things that aren't all that important to remember? Or are there times it sends you into a panic? Like, I think I'm losing my memory!
Nupe.. I now completely understand what my grandpa meant when he said he had forgotten more than some people will ever know

I don't even get upset, when I have a rare occasion of forgetting where my car keys are. If I get to the point that I question what the keys in my hand are for? Then I will start to worry.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:41 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
I had memory lapses before retiring and blamed stress and multitasking but didn't have time to dwell on it. I'm more aware of any lapses now because I have time to think about it. I'm not concerned because so far I have a lot less incidences of memory lapses than when I was working.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-10-2016 at 06:43 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I agree ,since retired it happens very little. I have far less to focus on so im not torn in so many different directions.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,017 times
From a recent report I read, it's not that worrisome if you forget where your car keys are. Or where you parked the car. What's worrisome is not knowing what the keys are for, or what to do when you get into the car. Made me feel better because I always have trouble remembering where I park! I try to park in the same area of stores I frequent.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Nupe.. I now completely understand what my grandpa meant when he said he had forgotten more than some people will ever know

I don't even get upset, when I have a rare occasion of forgetting where my car keys are. If I get to the point that I question what the keys in my hand are for? Then I will start to worry.

Good point. Or, that you find your keys in the refrigerator?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:24 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
like all components of aging memory lapses affect some more than others. Just like balding, wrinkles, age spots etc. I recognize my 'senior moments' as just another confirmation that I am, indeed, getting older. Oh well

Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was just reading an autobiography, he was talking about his grade school days, the rainy days when you couldn't go outside for recess, and I got to thinking of my grade school days in Minnesota, those long winters, snowy days, rainy days, and I got stumped thinking of what we did on those days in grade school? Blank!

With Facebook, I've tried to remember names of childhood friends I grew up with, thinking, hoping I might find them on Facebook, but the names? First name ain't gonna do me no good! Last name?

I dated someone in high school, occasionally, I know her first name, but can't quite spell out the last name, and she may have married, died, so gone with the wind!

I don't get upset by these memory blanks as they're not crucial to my survival, and haven't I got better things to do then remember something that's, essentially, inconsequential?

I figure if it was really important to remember, I'd remember it, no?

It is stuff from many years ago so I am not half surprised that you don't recall it.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
I don't spend much time trying to remember what I came into a room for or any name or where I put my reading glasses. All of these "senior moments" just remind me that I am in my seventies not thirties

Going through the alphabet helps me remember names that just keep bugging me and retracing my steps usually helps find lost items and once I leave a room I mostly remember why I went there for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement