U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:20 PM

5,785 posts, read 4,841,461 times

Advertisements

That's why working for yourself is the perfect situation for a retiree. Also most volunteer organizations understand that the volunteers' time is exactly that, voluntary, so volunteering might be a good option if making money is not your main reason for working. If you have a particular interest or talent you can look into what organization near you might benefit from your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:32 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,296,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

It has been over 50 years since 65 was considered retirement age, certainly not in the 70s, 80s, 90s. Too bad it seems it is getting back to that.

I'm 59 now. I expect to keep working till I'm seventy, out of necessity.

There was an article in the August '14 issue of Harpers magazine, "The End of Retirement". The author discussed people having to work into old age, often as migrant workers.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:59 PM

12,924 posts, read 8,751,901 times
I see way too many folks over 60 still working and not retiring and companies can't fire them so just keeping them around. Some of these folks are in management so they protect their jobs while they stifle young people at these companies. So many young workers sees a job as a lot of old people, they just get up and leave. These are the companies that exploit immigrant workers because they have thick layer of aging workers that can't perform the job but the company still needs advance level work done. They can't hire young people who refuse to work for older people and get no promotion. So these companies turn to immigrants on contract work visas to complete the work on low pay.

I think it's time America should think about mandatory retirement. I hate working for some 70+ manager who can't keep up with today's world and expects people of working age to solve all of the problems using their accepted old ideas that don't work.

Hang it up please for the betterment of society and your kids and grandkids.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:56 PM

888 posts, read 811,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I see way too many folks over 60 still working and not retiring and companies can't fire them so just keeping them around. Some of these folks are in management so they protect their jobs while they stifle young people at these companies. So many young workers sees a job as a lot of old people, they just get up and leave. These are the companies that exploit immigrant workers because they have thick layer of aging workers that can't perform the job but the company still needs advance level work done. They can't hire young people who refuse to work for older people and get no promotion. So these companies turn to immigrants on contract work visas to complete the work on low pay.

I think it's time America should think about mandatory retirement. I hate working for some 70+ manager who can't keep up with today's world and expects people of working age to solve all of the problems using their accepted old ideas that don't work.

Hang it up please for the betterment of society and your kids and grandkids.
Maybe you would like to just put them down at the vets office. Think of all the problems that would head off! Mandatory retirement.....

Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 PM

71,626 posts, read 71,777,271 times
Mandatory retirement would be great. But i suppose if they can't afford to retire you would love to have more money taken out of your check to support them even though you may not get those jobs.

Many senior jobs will just be done away with and no one gets them.

Other senior jobs require so much knowledge and on the job experience there is no one to fill them. I have been retired 6 months , i gave 1-1/2 years prior notice and my job slot has still not been filled.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-13-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 03:34 PM

14,260 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm so glad you find me and my friends and neighbors bizarre and preposterous. Those were merely examples, and they are ACTUAL examples of people I know personally. The opportunities for making money are limited for those without imagination and willingness to try. If a retiree lives in a retirement type community there are numerous opportunities without ever leaving their neighborhood. I could think of dozens of other examples of ways to make extra money, all being performed right here among my friends and neighbors RIGHT NOW so not theoretical, but your mind is obviously closed to those ideas, so I won't waste my breath. I never intended to say that these activities would be a person's sole support, but certainly they could supplement the "fixed income" that folks are getting from SS and their other resources.

I totally AGREE with you. There are so many ways to make money in retirement out there from running neighbors around , caring for their pets, the arts and crafts scene and the like.

Personally, I have probably turned down $1k in the last year from people offering to pay me for things that I have done for them. I do not feel comfortable taking money for a lot of the things that I do.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 PM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I see way too many folks over 60 still working and not retiring and companies can't fire them so just keeping them around.

... I think it's time America should think about mandatory retirement.
My employer [US Navy] has a High-Year-Tenure [HYT] policy. When each person reaches their HYT date the individual is not normally allowed to extend their contract beyond that date.

HYT dates vary by pay-grade.

For example;
an E5 cannot stay on active duty beyond 14 years,
an E6 can not stay beyond 20 years,
an E7 -- 24 years,
an E8 -- 26 years,
an E9 -- 30 years,
the E10 -- 38 years.

This is the military's method of addressing the issue that you have brought up.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,073,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Mandatory retirement would be great. But i suppose if they can't afford to retire you would love to have more money taken out of your check to support them even though you may not get those jobs.

Other senior jobs require so much knowledge and on the job experience there is no one to fill them. I have been retired 6 months , i gave 1-1/2 years prior notice and my job slot has still not been filled.
Sounds like they are not going to fill the position.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM

5,785 posts, read 4,841,461 times
HYT also serves to weed out people who should be advancing but are just skating along in second gear. 14 years and still E5! We need the people in the military who strive for excellence. And Thank You for your service.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

People are often surprised at how often this happens. In fact, we have several retirees that came back as consultants to help out until we could find replacements. Many of the non-tech jobs that are highly specialized do require a lot of experience, in some cases we require 10 years minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or