U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:27 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,087,563 times

Advertisements

I retired last year at 62. Husband is in his mid 70's and we wanted to get some good years before health issues slowed us down. I also wanted to be more physically active, which I found difficult to do while owning my own business. I have plenty to keep me busy and I joke that if I were to get a job, it would have to be between 2:30-4:30 because that's my only free time. Only reason I'm posting here and not out on the bike this morning is I have a bad cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 AM

2,237 posts, read 983,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?
I'm 48 and have saved all my life with no debt including the house. Been saving for my kids college education since the day they were born. Just got laid off after 26 years and my wife and I are in active discussions about this right now. Strongly considering retiring, although I may work part time. Sitting around the house? Not likely. Even with a full time job I rode my bike 100-150 miles a week year round, skied 30+ days a winter, fly fish, rock climb, backpack, volunteer on non profit boards, read, Boy Scouts, etc. Essentially, my second job has been my hobbies. Now I can do them full time.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
I retired the month I turned 60. I would have done it sooner, had the planets aligned sooner. But I find myself busier than ever and I can't even get to some of the things I'd like to do. I'm only half joking when I say I should go back to work because I'd have more free time and I'd be making even more money.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Is "Just Converation" brother of "Serious Conversation"?
He's I'm Retired Now. I'm not related to him

Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times
My next door neighbor (elementary school teacher, single-no kids) retired at 55 after 33 years with the public school system. The district offered an early retirement package and she took it. She volunteers as a chaplain at the local hospital.

My mother's significant other retired at 55 after working 35 years as a meter man with the County of Los Angeles ... that was back in 1977. He's 91 years old now, a little tired, but still works in the yard and does small house repairs. He's given up camping and fishing, though. He had 2 kids and his first wife died a couple years before he met my mom.

My father was planning on retiring at 59 back in 1975, but was killed in a car accident just before retiring. He had worked for the Federal Government for 37 years.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
I retired at 51 five years ago. DH was 56 and retired at the same time. We both have over 25 years (he had 34) working in public service, so we have pensions. I certainly COULD have worked longer, but at the time my job was quite stressful and the corporate culture change happening at my agency made me want out. DH was being forced to take furloughs that caused his salary working to be LOWER than his pension would be. Seriously, he makes more retired than he did the year before retirement, so in effect he was paying to go to work! We could have had a much more cushy retirement if I had stayed another five or ten years, but we are happy with "enough" money to cover our expenses in a lower COL area.

We honestly have more on our calendar now than we ever did before and there are always more things we want to do than time to do it. So we're not sitting like bumps on a log. There are so many ways to fill your time and to find purpose in life that I don't feel it's my place to judge how others spend their time. I know numerous people that have retired in their 50's, and not all public employees, so it doesn't seem odd to me. We did get a few of those grudging "Must be nice" comments, and I reply "Thanks, it is". It's not like we won the lotto, our pensions come from money that we earned and that was invested for us by our agencies, and our other funds come from the fact that we were frugal and very prudent with our spending for 30 years.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 AM

130 posts, read 92,682 times
I have read media reports that people are working longer but I suspect many people who are working in their 60s and 70s are working a few hours a week and a majority of people are not working full time any more.

I have read lots of stories online about so called early retirement and it seems like I hear of more people work have at least gone down to part time by the time they are 55-60.

Of the hundreds of people you know who are in their late 50s how many of them are working full time?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
I have read media reports that people are working longer but I suspect many people who are working in their 60s and 70s are working a few hours a week and a majority of people are not working full time any more.

I have read lots of stories online about so called early retirement and it seems like I hear of more people work have at least gone down to part time by the time they are 55-60.

Of the hundreds of people you know who are in their late 50s how many of them are working full time?

Most are where I'm at in Indiana, but the economy is strong here. Granted, I don't make a habit of hanging out with folks specifically because they're unemployed. Back home in Tennessee, I know more people who were basically bumped out of the labor force in their 50s, and haven't been able to get back since the Great Recession (or are only marginally in the labor force), but that's because they are generally unwilling/unable to relocate the local economy remains poor.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 AM

4,553 posts, read 6,639,734 times
Quote:

None, they are retired now with soft skills.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:29 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times
I know quite a few including myself. Off the top of my head, five are working past 65 full time, but work at home and come into work once a month. Their skills are badly needed as there is shortage of experienced medical coders/health info techs for the institution I work for and they are very well compensated.

Last edited by smpliving; 02-10-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or