U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:42 PM

15,200 posts, read 8,509,345 times

Advertisements

My aunt and uncle were CPA's and they retired at age 45 to travel the world....the were away from home more than at home. And they traveled well into their 80's - THAT took some money - no cheap vacations - mostly abroad and to Asia! But they were obviously very savvy financially and had made great investments in the '60's and '70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 PM

18,445 posts, read 9,548,793 times
My Father retired at age 57 and I had thought he was a workaholic but it turns out, he just wanted to earn enough to not have to worry about money and being frugal and resourceful, he did so and lived another 31 years as a retiree. He lived a fairly simple life but still was able to do many things he wanted to do.

I retired last December still in my 50's and I'm less frugal and wife is even less frugal so not sure that I will stay retired forever. SO far we have had plenty to do and are currently on a 6 week vacation to Spain. My company has asked if I would do some short term consulting and I would definitely be interested after my vacation but don't expect a long term 'job' again.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,543,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I retired about a month ago at age 60, and I've gotten a lot of comments about being "too young to retire." My answer is there is no such thing as too young to retire. If you plan well, save enough and/or have a good pension, and that's what you want in life then by all means go for it. On the other hand if you want to work until you are 75, more power to you.

In a way I feel sorry for people who envision retirement involves a lot of sitting around all day. That comment tells me there never was much in their lives beyond work and perhaps their kids, which I think is sad. I've always had a lot of other interests and hobbies outside of work, and for a long time had felt that the one thing I was most short on was time to pursue all those activities as fully as I'd like. After 39 years of devoting most of my time to my career I now have a chance to devote most of my time to other things I love to do while I am still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy them to the fullest.

Dave
I agree completely. My father retired at age 58. He had worked at the same steel mill for more than 30 years and was eligible to collect his pension. He made the decision based on the fact that he was over-worked and stressed out. The mill had been undergoing hard economic times and they kept laying off employees and saddling him with extra work. By the end, he was essentially doing two other jobs in addition to the one he was being paid for and his health was suffering. My mother supported his decision 100%. As a result, he lived another 21 years doing things he thoroughly enjoyed doing. He kept busy and had a better social life than he had ever enjoyed in the past. My grandfather worked in the same mill until he was 65 and he had a heart attack two years after his retirement.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,297,215 times
The idea of retirement is fairly new. Before the 20th century, every one just worked till they died. The idea of retirement is just a modern working man's option.

So, any retirement is a good thing and the age is unimportant. Any one that thinks that you should work to a certain age for retirement to be acceptable has been programed by the culture to not think for themselves. If you except that age of 65 as the retirement age then you never would have planned well enough to retire earlier then this.

BTW I retired at 47.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
As long as people realize (which if course they should) that the longer they work:
-- the more likely they won't GET to retire because they could die while still working
-- the less time they could have to enjoy a healthy retirement…

If they want to 'die in the saddle' that's they're decision. I'm sure we've all been to funerals where the preacher said the deceased "loved his or her job."
I have a 73 year-old co-worker who struts in happy as a lark every day, does as much OT as he can, and is in his own self-absorbed world. Abut if he's happy there…he's the one who has to live there. There are worse things in life than working at 73 and loving your job.

I personally may think its sad that people have nothing else they'd rather do than work -- on someone else's schedule, but if THEY"RE happy with it…or have convinced themselves they're happy….then that's on them.

Personally, I want the longest. healthiest most active retirement I can…and will retire as soon as I qualify for Medicare, or sooner if calculations show I can live the kind of lifestyle I want…ten if I don't work.
Quote:
My grandfather worked in the same mill until he was 65 and he had a heart attack two years after his retirement.
Quote:
I'm still working at 63 and plan to keep at it as long as I enjoy the work, up to age 70. Each additional year adds to the pension and I get plenty of free time with 5 weeks vacation and 10 paid holidays.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?
I am jealous as hell. I have a busier life now than I ever have had, and I would dearly LOVE to be able to actually get stuff done rather than having it pile up until I get a holiday or take a day off. Retirement can't come soon enough for me.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM

272 posts, read 241,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?
LOL! When I saw this title, I honestly thought the post was going to be about the many people now working beyond the age of 65.

Anyway, how curious... they did not think it was right?? I was always of the understanding that most folks worked until 65 because they "had to" not because it was the right thing to do. I'd say if one doesn't need the money, then maybe the right thing to do is retire early and let someone else have the job.

Also, that's quite an assumption that someone who has retired from a full-time job will have nothing to do. If I could retire today, I promise you I would not be sitting around the house all day (although an occasional loaf-around day would surely be a luxurious feeling).

Different ways of thinking...

Old 02-10-2016, 10:55 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,932,559 times
I retired at 55. Saved my money meticulously for 25 years, and was ready to retire - so I did. Healthy as a horse until age 62 (then, stroke followed by a heart attack, and sciatica that has me almost totally debilitated). Let's face it, I'm circling the drain at 64. We're talking "Mr Cholesterol around 150 and HDL of 65, for 30 years." Moral? Assume nothing.

BTW, in the past 3 yrs, 2 relatives and three friends of mine all died between 59 and 64.

If you want to work til you drop, fine. But, not me. Thank goodness for those 7 - 8 years of useful, fun retirement. I'm glad I retired when I did.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:47 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
did you have unmitigated untreated high blood pressure which maybe caused the stroke?

you seemingly were aware of your cholesterol readings for many years, so maybe you were aware of your blood pressure numbers too?

Or do they not know the cause of the stroke?
I realize sometimes the precipitating cause is unknown, other than a clogged blood vessel. I understand if you wish not to say.

very sorry to hear of your health.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-11-2016 at 12:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 04:57 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
I finally retired 3 months ago when I hit age 66. I actually would have preferred to continue working because I actually loved my job but...

I suddenly noticed that too many of my friends and acquaintances my age were starting to die off

My employer offered a 6 month salary bonus and I had saved enough.

I decided that dying on the job would be awfully embarrassing.

"To everything there is a season.."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or