U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 AM

130 posts, read 92,682 times

Advertisements

At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 AM

11,081 posts, read 12,461,714 times
In 2009, I retired at 58 after 35 years in the same career. I don't just sit around the house all day, and am on the go and doing what I want when I want. If someone is jealous of that, well, I don't care.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
As long as they can afford doing so, more power to them. Still, I wouldn't just sit around and idle for years.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:26 AM

18 posts, read 15,455 times
I think that people who retire in their 50's are excellent planners, lucky or a combination of the two. Good for them!

Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?
I retired in my 40s!

Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
I don't know what day they are talking about. People retired younger before. Once major companies started 30 And Out people were leaving in their early 50's. Some companies had Magic Number retirements where starting young meant young retirements.

It has been over 50 years since 65 was considered retirement age, certainly not in the 70s, 80s, 90s. Too bad it seems it is getting back to that.

The only people I know that sit around the house all day do so because of medical problems not because they are retired.

I know when I worked at what was then the Fortune#1 company, if a person turned down early retirement they were subject to quite a bit of verbal abuse from their coworkers.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:35 AM

5,939 posts, read 5,295,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As long as they can afford doing so, more power to them. Still, I wouldn't just sit around and idle for years.
Why would you sit around? Don't you have any interests, goals, dreams? Have you done everything you wanted to do and gone everywhere you wanted to go?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why would you sit around? Don't you have any interests, goals, dreams? Have you done everything you wanted to do and gone everywhere you wanted to go?
Sitting around isn't my style, but there are posts on this board and on some of the other C-D boards about people basically retiring in their 50s and ending up like a knot on a log.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,080,786 times
I retired about a month ago at age 60, and I've gotten a lot of comments about being "too young to retire." My answer is there is no such thing as too young to retire. If you plan well, save enough and/or have a good pension, and that's what you want in life then by all means go for it. On the other hand if you want to work until you are 75, more power to you.

In a way I feel sorry for people who envision retirement involves a lot of sitting around all day. That comment tells me there never was much in their lives beyond work and perhaps their kids, which I think is sad. I've always had a lot of other interests and hobbies outside of work, and for a long time had felt that the one thing I was most short on was time to pursue all those activities as fully as I'd like. After 39 years of devoting most of my time to my career I now have a chance to devote most of my time to other things I love to do while I am still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy them to the fullest.

Dave

Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
I see nothing wrong with retiring in one's 50's provided one is finanically prepared to do so and therefore doesn't end up on the public dole. But the idea seems odd to me - sort of like a practice from another planet. I would be hard-pressed to name someone I know personally who retired in his or her 50's and I know hundreds of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or