U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 AM

339 posts, read 322,972 times

Advertisements

My best friend from high school found me on Facebook last year. After high school we had drifted apart - her in the military; me in college. After marriages and moves, we completely lost touch.

One day I had a friend request - we have been catching up ever since!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:50 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,929,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In 2006 I ran across my old college sweetheart whom I hadn't seen or talked to since 1966 when she dumped me after I joined the Army. Since then we've talked a time or two and emailed very occasionally. We've discovered that our lives and lifestyle choices are very different and there's little if any compatibility in those regards. It's a good thing we split 50 years ago or we might have made a huge mistake.
Other than the Army part , my experience mirror's yours. 40 years is a long time too........we were hot and heavy in the early seventies , I so often fantized about my choices. Since we made contact on Facebook two years ago I now realize I made the right choice long ago.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,596,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I haven't, many old people don't have computers or have one but barely use it. Or they shun Facebook, I go on it rarely myself, or they have every privacy turned on, or you can't remember how to spell their last name.
How old is old? I find lots of people in their 60's are very active on Facebook. Of course it trickles off from there and who really knows how people who grew up with the Internet will behave as they age. Their likely will be a day that Nursing homes and transitional units will have internet available and allow computers. I think if you grew up with computers being the focus of your youth, it will extend until you physically, or mentally, can't perform.

in regards to searching for people, I find many adults simply don't know how to effectively use the tools and search techniques properly.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,737,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
How old is old? I find lots of people in their 60's are very active on Facebook. Of course it trickles off from there and who really knows how people who grew up with the Internet will behave as they age. Their likely will be a day that Nursing homes and transitional units will have internet available and allow computers. I think if you grew up with computers being the focus of your youth, it will extend until you physically, or mentally, can't perform.

in regards to searching for people, I find many adults simply don't know how to effectively use the tools and search techniques properly.
I'm 69, wrote my first FORTRAN program in high school in 1963, and have been on the internet since my grad school days circa 1983. Most of my generation doesn't have this level of technology engagement, but more and more seniors are going online.

In 2005, only 2% of those 65 and older used social media. Today, it's 35%.

Source: Social Media Usage: 2005-2015 | Pew Research Center

Internet access in senior living facilities is becoming the norm:

https://www.senioradvisor.com/blog/2...nts-want-more/

Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,279,387 times
I don't look anymore cause when I have they had already passed away.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM

30,766 posts, read 49,611,385 times
I have found and reconnected with many of my 'old friends'.

Two GFs that I dated in Highschool. One of which remains in contact with me and my wife. The other old GF has a current husband who is very jealous and doe snot want her to speak with other men.

My highschool class [from '77] has a Facebook group.

The crew from my first sub has a Facebook 'group' and re-unions. Many of us remember each other.

My second boat has a FB group but it is HUGE, so far I have not came across anyone who served with me there.

My third boat does not have a FB group.

My fourth boat does, but I have not found anyone I know there, yet.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 599,708 times
Yes, I have. I enjoy Facebook and have also made friends with several people I have never met, but probably will, as they are in my home state. I also keep in touch with friends I have known since early childhood, and relatives.

One time I was at a conference in Denver and it was a Monday night [before the conference started]. I was going down the elevator and was going to go out for dinner. I got on the elevator with a group of chattering older ladies who said they were computer group friends who get together each year in a different city, just to visit and have fun. They invited me to go to dinner with them, and I said, "Sure". So we all went somewhere to eat and I learned all about them. They were 60-ish and all had gotten to know each other through some group [not Facebook]. They talked almost everyday and now have the yearly get-together. They never would have met otherwise!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,929,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'm 69, wrote my first FORTRAN program in high school in 1963, and have been on the internet since my grad school days circa 1983. Most of my generation doesn't have this level of technology engagement, but more and more seniors are going online.

In 2005, only 2% of those 65 and older used social media. Today, it's 35%.

Source: Social Media Usage: 2005-2015 | Pew Research Center

Internet access in senior living facilities is becoming the norm:

https://www.senioradvisor.com/blog/2...nts-want-more/
I may win the trophy for age.......( 75 in July).......looking back, I started out before Computers using the teletype at work everyday , never mastered the typewriter, still use 2 fingers for typing,getting by just fine. A writer as a hobby , 3 books in print and am fighting with myself on a regular basis to finish my autobiography....as far as social media I see that as an addiction, at about any age ,anyone over 40, and that's one hell of a lot of folks these days ! For me it started with My Space 14 years ago as a creative thing,and went from there. Facebook was not on my radar but because of the demise of MySpace there was little choice.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:54 PM

10,830 posts, read 8,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Their likely will be a day that Nursing homes and transitional units will have internet available and allow computers.
Mom was in an assisted living center in 2008 that had internet access. She had an IBM laptop.
My mother-in-law is in one now and it has internet access also, many residents have laptops, tablets, etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 PM

10,392 posts, read 4,939,205 times
I have only found one. Unless a woman puts her maiden name on FB it makes it very hard to find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or