U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:57 PM

890 posts, read 684,852 times

Advertisements

I find it to be a good tool to get a heads-up on a prospective tenant. If I see that the person is all tatted up and has a punch of photos posted with his collection of pit bulls then that is valuable information telling me to focus finding my ideal tenant elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:16 AM

4,432 posts, read 5,978,456 times
I reconnected with a girl I hadn't seen since fourth grade. It was fun catching up and sharing old photos....but then I had to see all the ongoing posts of her grandchildren whom I really didn't care about and, even worse, her political posts (total opposite of my views, of course). I eventually quietly unfriended.

Now that the novelty of Facebook has worn off and I have way too many FB friends to keep up with, I am super-careful of who I friend. I hate when someone I've just met, or a neighbor I barely know, friends me. I don't want to be rude but then I accept and sometimes I'm stuck with an over-sharer. I don't like "unfollowing" them because they can stlll see all my stuff and I lose track of who I've unfollowed. It's a quagmire...LOL.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:34 AM

39,753 posts, read 48,124,741 times
So far I've only been able to find old friends on the website Find-A-Grave.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:34 AM

4,432 posts, read 5,978,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
A year or two ago I decided to give in and get a Facebook page. After it was set up, it suggests random people that you might want to have as friends. I wasn't surprised that it came up with my ex-Wife, since we do email about our son and everybody knows that email is virtually public today. However, it also suggested a friend of a friend who I took sailing in a group years before and, most shockingly, a guy who lived in my apartment building almost 40 years ago. I had not had any recent contact with the latter two. It creeped me out so bad that I immediately canceled the account. Big Brother has nothing on these guys.
Maybe someone more technical than I can explain this, but I believe it's most likely because you have a mutual FB friend. Was that the case? I'll have to pay more attention to who it suggests. I'm not shocked by anything FB comes up with these days. It's ridiculous. The thing I really hate is when I "like" or "comment" on a public page, say "Dancing with the Stars" or (worse) a political page, and suddenly it appears in my friends' Facebook feeds. I don't necessarily want all my friends seeing everything I comment on!!!

I'm really losing interest in it lately, though. Reason being, it's become a place where people no longer post about their lives, they just "share" a constant stream of jokes, videos, recipes and inspirational quotes. Oh and the obligatory pictures of their meals and grandchildren. Oh, and those who think their lives are so interesting, they post 20 times a day. I no longer try to keep up with every single post....I see what I see and if I miss stuff, so be it....when I do check FB, I scroll so fast that I probably miss a lot of stuff anyway. I wish it was like it was back in the "olden" days of 2009, LOL.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 PM

20,087 posts, read 19,086,470 times
With women changing their names when they get married, it makes it hard to find them. I have gone back to my original name so a few people have found me. It's interesting to get caught up and find out how their lives went.

We're all late 60s, early 70s. I find that a lot of people won't go on fb due to fears about privacy though. I do enjoy fb for keeping up with family who I never get to see. My husband has found and been found by classmates he hasn't seen in 50 years!

Old 02-23-2016, 01:16 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,797,857 times
I've had mixed results. Found several elementary school friends which mostly were good. Was found by an ex boyfriend who was stil bitter after 35 years! WTH? Move on people!

Old 02-24-2016, 12:00 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,252,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
A year or two ago I decided to give in and get a Facebook page. After it was set up, it suggests random people that you might want to have as friends. I wasn't surprised that it came up with my ex-Wife, since we do email about our son and everybody knows that email is virtually public today. However, it also suggested a friend of a friend who I took sailing in a group years before and, most shockingly, a guy who lived in my apartment building almost 40 years ago. I had not had any recent contact with the latter two. It creeped me out so bad that I immediately canceled the account. Big Brother has nothing on these guys.
If you friend just one person who has their account set on global, with few privacy blocks, and who spazzes out liking everything and checking in whereever they go, then you will have many suggestions passed through due to that connection alone. Beyond that: There are logical engines within both the client and server sides of the FB ap which look at all your connections, likes, and even clicks on unrelated aps but where you told that ap your FB info / account name. They also look at the same things for people you are connected to. It does not take much imagination to realize where they formulate all the suggestions.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 02-24-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 AM

212 posts, read 153,338 times
I have one account for people I know and one for people I enjoy talking to but have never met. I have two friends, a cousin and a childhood friend, on the first account and seven friends on the later account. I find that after the first encounter, people-I-know and I tend to have nothing more to say to each other. The seven people-I-don't-know and I have been chatting on the internet for 15 years, enjoy each other's company and conversation, and care deeply about each other's welfare. Some of the group have had meet-ups and several have died but we went from a public forum to an exclusive to us forum and, finally, to a Facebook group. I didn't friend all the group that moved to Facebook, just the ones I wanted to have private communications with. I don't like the Facebook as well as I did a forum but it's free and no one has to maintain it.

I have found more people from my yesterdays than I can count but they usually are on Facebook to do family/friend things and I just look over the photos of their current life and move on without attempting a contact.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:59 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,806,286 times
No one was more anti FB than I because I couldn't see the need. Then I moved over 2000 miles away from my former city and wasn't having an easy time making friends. I decided I wanted to move to a senior apartment complex but everywhere I looked on the Internet it said "See our FB page." So I grudginly signed on.

Now my younger sister and a couple of friends who were on FB had been nagging me to join for years. So I friended them. Then other people found me and friended me. Although I had been communicating with a couple of people in my former city and others via email, those on FB were people I hadn't been in contact with since I moved a year and a half ago. Pretty soon I had all my friends who were on FB from my former city. It was fun.

Then I got sick, a recurring condition that gotten a lot worse. I was hospitalized for a bit. When I returned home I posted on FB. I got many well wishes from my friends. That was a great comfort.

FB is serving a purpose I never realized it would. Everyone posts great pictures and stories.

I am not interested in high school days. The longest time elapsed from someone I hadn't been in touch with is 2002. That's fine with me.

I don't get how to use FB completely. My niece tells me that just as you get it, it changes anyway. I bought a "Facebook For Dummies" book so that helps. It works for me.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:17 PM

22,314 posts, read 14,647,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

I'm really losing interest in it lately, though. Reason being, it's become a place where people no longer post about their lives, they just "share" a constant stream of jokes, videos, recipes and inspirational quotes. Oh and the obligatory pictures of their meals and grandchildren. Oh, and those who think their lives are so interesting, they post 20 times a day. I no longer try to keep up with every single post....I see what I see and if I miss stuff, so be it....when I do check FB, I scroll so fast that I probably miss a lot of stuff anyway. I wish it was like it was back in the "olden" days of 2009, LOL.
Yes. I really don't care about remembering the old drive in movies' speakers, or the old fashioned baby strollers, or old Pyrex mixing bowls. I get so many of these! And I also don't want the constant stream of "inspirational" quotes. Or carb and calorie laden recipes from people who are dieting! I've learned to delete stuff I am not interested in. That way, I don't have to look at it in my feed.

My page is not public, and I only accept friends or ask to be friends with, people I am interested in being friends with in real life. And with relatives. I really like it for keeping up with relatives I don't get to see very often. And for keeping up with friends I don't get to see any more.

I do like to see the families of people I care about. And I share plenty of pics of my grandkids, and other members of my family. I never link to the kids, but I do link to the adults if they have FB.

Its just like any thing else. It is a tool to use as the user sees fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or