Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

For a lot of folks on Facebook , they join a " group " I have several , great way to keep informed about a common subject as well as express your self.....the first thing you do , keep remembering the past, if not , you will loose it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 AM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Someone found me. There is a Facebook page for people from my small hometown.

From age 6 to age 13, my best friend was "Joan", a girl who moved in around the corner. Her father was the superintendent of schools. He took a job in another state--in 1971--and we wrote to each other for a few years but lost touch eventually.

Weirdly, about five years ago my daughter came across a picture of my ninth birthday, when I went swimming with three friends. She knew two of them, but asked who the third was, and I told her about Joan and said I never knew what happened to her. I decided to search and nothing turned up with her name that I knew.

TWO WEEKS LATER, I got a Facebook message from someone named Joan with a different last name who said she saw my name on the hometown page, and said she used to live there and wanted to know, "Are you my friend from so long ago?"

We exchanged info, and write to each other occasionally.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:12 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In 2006 I ran across my old college sweetheart whom I hadn't seen or talked to since 1966 when she dumped me after I joined the Army. Since then we've talked a time or two and emailed very occasionally. We've discovered that our lives and lifestyle choices are very different and there's little if any compatibility in those regards. It's a good thing we split 50 years ago or we might have made a huge mistake.
This, totally.

My high school love who I adored. Even then I knew it was never meant to be, and when I met my husband, I knew he was the one, and my ex and I happily broke it off and parted friends. My ex found me, and I found out how right I was and better yet, got to see pics of his beautiful wife and kids. He did real good in that department.

I still wear the jewelry he bought me ( my husband is so not the jealous type).

Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My high school love who I adored. Even then I knew it was never meant to be,
Wow do I relate! Thanks to Facebook, I was finally able to quit carrying my high school torch.
For decades I dreamed - literally, in my nightly dreams - about high school torch.
He and I are now good Facebook buddies but we're over that torchy stuff - no more dreams. Both of us appreciate that things worked out for the best. Like you said, never meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement