Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 PM

480 posts, read 619,873 times

Advertisements

Hello and I hope one of you SS experts can educate me a little on something I read on the SS website that just doesn't seem fair or right if I am in fact reading this correctly?

From the SS website; " We reduce spouse’s or surviving spouse’s benefits if you also get a pension based on your own federal, state or local government work not covered by Social Security. This reduces your Social Security benefit by two-thirds of the amount of the government pension. This sometimes reduces a spouse’s benefit to zero."

My wife worked for many years before we were married and I already knew that the SS WEP would reduce my SS check by up to 2/3rds. But I sure didn't think they would reduce my wife's until I read this today.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM

6,517 posts, read 7,036,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
Hello and I hope one of you SS experts can educate me a little on something I read on the SS website that just doesn't seem fair or right if I am in fact reading this correctly?

From the SS website; " We reduce spouse’s or surviving spouse’s benefits if you also get a pension based on your own federal, state or local government work not covered by Social Security. This reduces your Social Security benefit by two-thirds of the amount of the government pension. This sometimes reduces a spouse’s benefit to zero."

My wife worked for many years before we were married and I already knew that the SS WEP would reduce my SS check by up to 2/3rds. But I sure didn't think they would reduce my wife's until I read this today.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

Thanks
I believe this only is if she is asking for benefits as a spouse against your earnings. If she is entitled to SS she should be getting that regardless. I believe that others will chime in. I hope that I am right though as I read the GPO instructions.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 PM

7,490 posts, read 13,537,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I believe this only is if she is asking for benefits as a spouse against your earnings. If she is entitled to SS (on her own work record) she should be getting that regardless. I believe that others will chime in. I hope that I am right though as I read the GPO instructions.
From https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

Can I still get Social Security benefits from my own work?

The (GPO) offset applies only to Social Security benefits as a spouse,
or widow, or widower.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 AM

480 posts, read 619,873 times
Thanks for the reply's.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 AM

987 posts, read 1,383,212 times
When I took an early retirement at age 49 with 30 yrs of service from the U.S. government Civil Service Commission and Air Force Reserves in N. Calif., the "SS-WEP" affected my SS benefits when I requested for it early at age 62, which was a meager amount about 1/4 or less. I can live with it, because I'm already receiving three other pensions, my Military Reserves Pay, Civil Service pension and VA Disability Compensation and all have the "Survivor's Benefit Plan" (SBP) for my spouse upon my demise.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:30 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,513,863 times
From my research, GPO only applies only if your wife is getting a pension from working where she did not pay into SS. When you read the linked document, it is based from your wife's standpoint, so the pension they're referring to is her pension if she's getting one and not yours. None of it applies if her work history paid into SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement