U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 03:49 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't really disagree but to say that most immigrants that leave Mexico and South American countries do so for better economic opportunities although in Central America, they are also leaving very violent countries as well. As a place to retire, after living n Peru for 16 months (legally), I could retire there and have a very nice life at much less cost...you would be sacrificing some 1st world standards and amenities but could live a much more extravagant life at the same cost. The reason I won't do so is family in USA and I don't need to live that cheap in retirement.

About Malaysia, they are close to offering 1st World amenities and it is much less expensive and the food is outstanding there, so I don't think you need to have worried about going there.

Regarding Thailand, there is no reason for us not to have great relations with the Thais, I blame our current administration for creating an unnesessary adversarial relationship. I know several Americans retired there quite happily.
The thing to remember is that as you add regulations, codes, standards, etc. you are adding cost that some could and do live without.
I don't know any immigrants I've encountered here in Florida from Central or South America or similar who care to "go home". Not even in retirement. The only people I know who have kept "going home" as an option are people like a cousin-in-law who was born in Norway. Only for retirement benefits. And I doubt most US citizens have something like that as as option (even if I did - Norway would be more than a bit cold for me).

I guess I could look up the history of diplomatic relations between Thailand and the US - to see whether your assessment is correct. But - I won't. Since I'm not even planning a trip there - much less considering it as a place to move. People who are considering doing either should investigate more thoroughly.

Although I love great food - it is at best for me a sufficient reason to visit a place. Not to move there. Next trip is to Madrid. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 10:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,596 posts, read 39,974,527 times
As usual, this thread gets commandeered by those who have no need / interest in immigrating.

Do listen to their legitimate points but not all of us(a) tax paying citizens (45 yrs of USA employment taxes paid by me) have the option to remain in USA. i do consider the USA as the preferred option, it is just not an available / affordable / sustainable option. (for my family, hopefully yours has the federal / State pensions, or the attorney earnings / wealth of the adamant negative posters here.

We are Far under age 65, Lacking healthcare, pension was absconded by CEO, don't like the history I have seen of 1 'medical event' creating spousal impovrishment, property taxes up by 1000%, longevity of middle class retirement in USA is limited, quickly drawing to a close.

Countries on my short list are in Asia ans South America. I am currently on a one yr RTW scouting trip. USA healthcare is termed 'barbaric' by my current international hosts.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As usual, this thread gets commandeered by those who have no need / interest in immigrating.

Do listen to their legitimate points but not all of us(a) tax paying citizens (45 yrs of USA employment taxes paid by me) have the option to remain in USA. i do consider the USA as the preferred option, it is just not an available / affordable / sustainable option. (for my family, hopefully yours has the federal / State pensions, or the attorney earnings / wealth of the adamant negative posters here.

We are Far under age 65, Lacking healthcare, pension was absconded by CEO, don't like the history I have seen of 1 'medical event' creating spousal impovrishment, property taxes up by 1000%, longevity of middle class retirement in USA is limited, quickly drawing to a close.

Countries on my short list are in Asia ans South America. I am currently on a one yr RTW scouting trip. USA healthcare is termed 'barbaric' by my current international hosts.
I am wondering if your current international hosts have ever had the personal experience of "USA healthcare" in order to come to that conclusion?

Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 AM

18,548 posts, read 9,586,076 times
Quote:

Where are you considering? I just worked 16 months in Peru and it has some plusses but if I were going to choose a country in S. America, i would go with Chile which has a good health care system and is safer and more developed than other S. American countries. I'm currently in Spain and I really enjoy it here...if not for family in the Evergreen state, I would probably choose to live here.

As far as Asia goes, I really like Thailand and have many friends that live there. There is some instability to deal with though but most do so and haven't left. Malaysia has a good emigration plan, is cheap, has excellent health care, English...the only negative for me is the Muslim majority gives me pause. Philippines works but it is pretty corrupt.

About health care, the US cost is exorbitant....since we are also far from 65 and are trying out retirement, we have considered emigrating until we hit 65 and can access Medicare. I could live very well in Spain for about 70% of my cost in the US (not even factoring in Medical savings) and have an equivalent 1st world standard.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,596 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Spain and southern France are worth considering. I lived there while on foreign work assignments.

Parts of Thailand, Malaysia, and Philippines are acceptable. It is nice to have the bargain travel availed from BKK or KL. Safe and decent villages within an hour of each.

USA folks who went to NZ and AU 30 yrs ago are sitting pretty with pensions and HC. Strong US dollar, makes it possible to do even now. (if. You bring investment dollars).

Secure Gov, economy, legal, and financial systemx is imperative for LT retirement. That is becoming scarce, (including USA).

Accessible affordable healthcare will not be arriving in USA anytime soon.
It is so nice to drop in and out of a hospital / doctor < 20minutes and under $20.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:08 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,356,527 times
Quote:
Spain and southern France are worth considering. I lived there while on foreign work assignments.

Parts of Thailand, Malaysia, and Philippines are acceptable. It is nice to have the bargain travel availed from BKK or KL. Safe and decent villages within an hour of each.

USA folks who went to NZ and AU 30 yrs ago are sitting pretty with pensions and HC. Strong US dollar, makes it possible to do even now. (if. You bring investment dollars).

Secure Gov, economy, legal, and financial systemx is imperative for LT retirement. That is becoming scarce, (including USA).

Accessible affordable healthcare will not be arriving in USA anytime soon.
It is so nice to drop in and out of a hospital / doctor < 20minutes and under $20.
Stealth, when mentioning quality of life for foreign retirement destinations, could you also address visa and health care? That would help immensely.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 AM

5,367 posts, read 5,645,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We're originally from Phoenix Arizona so despite the greater humidity the heat doesn't bother us much.

Never been to Hua Hin, if we get a chance will swing down that way thanks for the tip! In Thailand right now (out west), planning on entering Myanmar overland via Mae Sot in mid March, returning four weeks later then eventually heading to Laos. If have time/inclination will Hua Hin.

Have been to Hua Hin.
Yes, there are many/some retirees living there.
Here is the website"
LINK
And this one:
LINK

Hua Hin is on the ocean. Hua Hin is where the King of Thailand has Summer home.
Hua Hin is a smaller oceanside town. But with all of the amenities. More laid back then say Pattaya, Thailand. Pattaya Thailand has over 10,000 Expats. With English speaking churches, and American Legion and many other social clubs. But Pattaya can be quite hectic.

Hua Hin is more laid back, smaller, and quieter.

You can't own property in Thailand. It's a tad complicated. Unless you have a Thai partner.
Renting though can be quite inexpensive.
Medical care in Thailand can be superb and you do have to pay out of pocket.

Just remember, any foreign countries have different laws. Best to meet up with an attorney in any foreign country that specializes in Expat needs.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Stealth, when mentioning quality of life for foreign retirement destinations, could you also address visa and health care? That would help immensely.

Inquiring minds want to know.
I did my research in the late 90's on the internet. I lived in NYC, so, of course, there were numerous foreign consulates there that had web sites, and also embassy and consulate web sites located in other parts of the U.S. My recollection is that at this time most of these sites had very well lined out info on retirement visa requirements, including the amount of money one needed as income and on deposit in the country.

Since that time these countries have gotten vaguer and vaguer about the specifics. Just out of curiosity (after this thread started) I spent a half hour trying to find the same information from the country I immigrated to that I found easily on a web site just over sixteen years ago...and I came up with NO information as specific as in the past. I gave up with the assumption were I in that position now I would have to go to the consulate to get it. Or seek it elsewhere on the internet that would not be an official site....like C-D forums, or various ex-pat sites.

An American friend who is interested in the possibility of retiring outside of the U.S. told me last year that he had to visit consulates in order to get this type of information.

This strikes me as a rather backward step from the point of view of the consulate staff and the interested parties.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Where are you considering? I just worked 16 months in Peru and it has some plusses but if I were going to choose a country in S. America, i would go with Chile which has a good health care system and is safer and more developed than other S. American countries. I'm currently in Spain and I really enjoy it here...if not for family in the Evergreen state, I would probably choose to live here.

As far as Asia goes, I really like Thailand and have many friends that live there. There is some instability to deal with though but most do so and haven't left. Malaysia has a good emigration plan, is cheap, has excellent health care, English...the only negative for me is the Muslim majority gives me pause. Philippines works but it is pretty corrupt.

About health care, the US cost is exorbitant....since we are also far from 65 and are trying out retirement, we have considered emigrating until we hit 65 and can access Medicare. I could live very well in Spain for about 70% of my cost in the US (not even factoring in Medical savings) and have an equivalent 1st world standard.
This is very interesting to me because it is similar to the path I have been tracing the last few years. I finally have rejected Thailand & Malaysia primarily for the weather, too extreme in the heat/humidity department for my northern disposition to handle constantly.

As far as So. America I was impressed with my brief working visit to Santiago Chile & even more so by BA Argentina which is a very sophisticated city similar to European cities, if one is fluent in Spanish & inclined to SA & city life I would strongly suggest looking into it. (I know nothing about visas or the current political/financial stability there though)

My question to you is about Spain, I've been looking at it recently & would like to know your experience there so far. Specifically I've been looking at the coastal area north of Barcelona, primarily because I figure it may be more moderate temperature-wise, but I never see much info about it, all the press seem to be about Costa Brava or Costa del Sol. Also I think I would like being closer to Barcelona too but not too close.

But I am not committed to anywhere & completely naive about the region. Where are you, or where do you recommend. I do like having some expats nearby but I don't want to be surrounded by vast package tour group crowds or such.

Also I believe there is a pension tax of sorts levied on Yanks, how does that work out compared to say living in Portugal? Or does living as a renter just de facto exempt you from the tax?

I have been looking at Spain & Portugal for the last year, trying to figure out where to visit this year on my first foray. I have dual EU citizenship & recently found out that a cousin is coincidently spending large amounts of time in Barcelona now each year.

Last edited by Hefe; 02-23-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 12:03 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,731,498 times
I'm still quite a ways from retirement but I'm constantly giving it some thought. Retiring overseas is definitely a possibility for me and I'm lucky enough to have been able to travel fairly extensively over the past few years. I've yet to make it to the retirement hot spots of Central and South America but I have been to places like Thailand and Vietnam as well as all over Europe.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Europe. I took a trip to Budapest last year and was amazed at how affordable it seemed. It's Central European location is a huge selling point. A few hours by train to Vienna and cheap flights all over Europe doesn't sound bad. And the city itself seemed very livable. I'd definitely have to budget for a membership for one of the bathhouses. I haven't been to Prague but I've heard it's relatively affordable as well. I'm also watching the markets in Spain, Portugal, Croatia, and Montenegro. You just can't beat the cultural amenities Europe offers and there are still some affordable spots.

As beautiful as Thailand is, I get the feeling I'd never truly feel at home there. I'd forever be a "Farang" and the political situation there is odd even without the current tension. Not to mention, they have some weird property laws for foreigners. And the heat...don't get me started on the heat. Chiang Mai may be tolerable and if money were no object I'd have a winter home on Ko Samui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or