U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 05:14 PM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Is that $2k/month - or $2k/year? I suspect the former. But - even if that's the case - it really isn't hard for 2 reasonably able-bodied people in their mid-50s with IQs in 3 digits to earn $25k/year.

My husband and I once spent about 2 weeks traveling through the Basque country in northern Spain. It is an interesting and in parts charming area of Europe (with world class restaurants today ). But it is a very insular place. I suspect an outsider could - with a lot of work (especially in terms of language skills) - "fit in" - but it wouldn't be easy IMO. And this applies not only to "outsiders" from the US and other countries - it would apply to outsiders from other parts of Spain as well.

Marbella used to be pretty much like Miami Beach 30 years ago - in Spanish. Although it is cheaper these days as Miami real estate prices have gone up and Spanish real estate prices haven't. Also because the Euro has gone down versus the US $. Also - there is probably as much Spanish spoken in Dade County Florida today as in Marbella. So - what do you find attractive about Marbella (except for the weather)? Even when I was there decades ago - it was pretty much wall to wall condos and tourist stuff. Some of the more fun TV shows I see about the Costa Brava and Costa Del Sol are Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmare shows:

Ramsay's Costa del Nightmares - All 4

Robyn

P.S. At your age - it is possible that you and your wife still have 1-4 living parents. Very difficult to help them when they need help if you live far away.
It was $2k/month short but I'm not worried about it at all...we both have offers from our companies to consult that will easily far offset any shortfall plus we have more than enough in our 401k's to handle any shortfall until we become eligible for social security. But just pointing out that we wouldn't need to do any of that if we chose to live in Spain.

Marbella was chosen because we liked the vibe and it seemed to be an excellent investment possibility and so far, I still think that is the case...beautiful, safe, good value for cost Where our condo is located, we can walk to many excellent restaurants and shops as well as the beach and our view of the Med and the mountains is what they are talking about when they say 'million dollar view.' The weather is fabulous and you could get similar excellent weather anywhere on the Med Spanish coast though a bit cooler by the time you get to Barcelona to France. If I were going to live year-round in Spain, I probably wouldn't choose Marbella as it's pretty crazy in the summer time with the vacationing partiers. I love Sevilla but it's very hot in summer so I wouldn't mind giving Malaga a try or even Barcelona for year-round living.

I think it would be difficult to really become engaged in the social culture of the locals but possibly with time. They are accustomed to foreigners coming and going. It's easier to make friends with the Brits for example but if our Spanish became fluent which it would with time and study, life here would be better for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 06:31 PM

785 posts, read 893,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Has anyone looked into old age care, assisted living or nursing home, options in Spain, France or Portugal?
Myself and most of the expats I know (in SA) have married much younger women which takes care of issues such as visa's,taxes,health care,Aging in place,etc. Others, who are single (and since died) have rented apartments and hired round the clock nurses and nursing assistants at very reasonable costs. I also have 1 friend lives in DC but has his Mother in what is called an "adult home" here, and another friend whose Mother had Alzheimer's and they bought an apartment here and had a live in housekeeper and nurse and he claims that she gets great care. I have tried to get my Dad, who is 98 and lives alone in a very expensive retirement home in Northern FL, to come down here for years. He has been there for almost 20 years, probably spent better than a million dollars and complains incessantly about the food and the weather. I tell him all the time we have several of the worlds best restaurants,San Diego like weather and hot nurses from the jungle.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Myself and most of the expats I know (in SA) have married much younger women which takes care of issues such as visa's,taxes,health care,Aging in place,etc. Others, who are single (and since died) have rented apartments and hired round the clock nurses and nursing assistants at very reasonable costs. I also have 1 friend lives in DC but has his Mother in what is called an "adult home" here, and another friend whose Mother had Alzheimer's and they bought an apartment here and had a live in housekeeper and nurse and he claims that she gets great care. I have tried to get my Dad, who is 98 and lives alone in a very expensive retirement home in Northern FL, to come down here for years. He has been there for almost 20 years, probably spent better than a million dollars and complains incessantly about the food and the weather. I tell him all the time we have several of the worlds best restaurants,San Diego like weather and hot nurses from the jungle.
Where does your father live in northern Florida? What type of "retirement home"? Who helps him when he needs some extra help? My father - now 97 - moved here near us in NE Florida about 10 years ago (after my mother died). His living situation here is pretty good (for him). Although it isn't cheap.

How do really old people get around and about in a big city like Lima (most - including my father and his equally old siblings) are well beyond the point where they can use public transportation? Robyn

Old 02-26-2016, 06:25 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
...if our Spanish became fluent which it would with time and study, life here would be better for us.
Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn (both in terms of speaking and reading). It's totally phonetic - and the grammar isn't difficult (compared to a language like German). So why not give it "the old college try"? Robyn

Old 02-26-2016, 06:41 AM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Quote:
Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn (both in terms of speaking and reading). It's totally phonetic - and the grammar isn't difficult (compared to a language like German). So why not give it "the old college try"? Robyn
I can read Spanish and converse on a basic level, I just have to ask native speakers to go slow. But I need more time conversing and studying to become truly proficient and that takes time and effort that I hope to put in.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:06 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Quote:
That's a lot of property tax! I'm sure there are many places in the US (not to mention outside the US) where taxes are (a lot) lower. Also - various states have various laws to protect residents from crazy increases in property taxes. We have the Save Our Homes amendment in Florida. California has prop 13. Etc. There are also laws that give seniors - especially low income seniors - various tax breaks.
Washington voters made their own version of Prop 13 law... it is called I-747.

Subsequently, it was tossed out by a King county judge and my property tax increased 80% in one swoop form what I paid for the place 18 months prior.

I'm over $13,000 now and it was not something I could have predicted since I-747 was the law in Washington...

I've lived in Austria and really enjoyed my time working there...

The lifestyle is very different... people are not big savers and everyone takes holiday trips...

Property tax is also very low... I had co-workers living in magnificent homes that had been in the family for centuries...

Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Quote:
We have friends that moved to a famous Mexican retirement place and hated it and came back after 2 years. But I also have friends that have retired or moved to Thailand and love it.
Friends retired at 50... sold the home and loaded a container and even put their tow Harley Davidson Motorcycles inside...

It has been 6 years and they have never come back... his wife is connected with a Hotel and works part time because she enjoys it... they have plenty of money and have leased a very comfortable home and have help...

Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM

785 posts, read 893,939 times
Quote:
Where does your father live in northern Florida? What type of "retirement home"? Who helps him when he needs some extra help? My father - now 97 - moved here near us in NE Florida about 10 years ago (after my mother died). His living situation here is pretty good (for him). Although it isn't cheap.

How do really old people get around and about in a big city like Lima (most - including my father and his equally old siblings) are well beyond the point where they can use public transportation? Robyn
It's a big gated community with several hundred bungalow type houses, assisted living apartments, hospice center. They have several restaurants, two clubhouses and everyone rides around in golf carts. He paid about 250k to build his two bedroom bungalow, pays maybe $3500 a month for his utilities,20 meals in the restaurant, Gardner, housekeeper and a nurse that comes in a few times a week to give him a shower, cut his toenails etc.

If you want to go to church, grocery store, lunch etc he just calls a driver and they take you wherever you want to go. The hospital is a less than a mile away and they provide a little to much care. My father is never sick, but falls down frequently and is constantly being sent to the hospital overnight for tests.

Lima is a sprawling city like Los Angeles and most expats live in two or three of the wealthy districts. Everything you need is pretty much walk-able. You see older people accompanied by nurses walking down the Avenues or sitting on the park benches all day long. All super markets and restaurants deliver for free and if you need to go to the embassy or are just tired of walking, you push a button on your smart phone and a private taxi shows up wherever you are in 3-5 minutes and many times less.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:36 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
I can read Spanish and converse on a basic level, I just have to ask native speakers to go slow.
That's about how we are. Quite comfortable with basic conversations, getting directions, price haggling, etc. but miss a lot of what is said between locals at normal conversation pace. It sounds like "blah blah blah already went to blah blah because later blah Jorge blah blah three times blah."

When we finish traveling in Asia we're going to Central/South America for awhile, planning on starting with a two month immersion course in Guatemala to (hopefully) get ramped up to near fluency. It'll be a bit of a grind two of us with one instructor four hours morning then two hours conversation practice in the afternoon, but we haven't had much structure since going perpetual traveler mode after retirement so might be a good thing.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 8,697 times
I have some friends who retired to Spain and love it. I'm going to visit them soon to check it out. Great weather, good golf and reasonable prices! They're trying to convince me to join them and I don't know how I'll be able to resist lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or