U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:10 PM

6,153 posts, read 2,987,014 times

Advertisements

Yep Mr5150 you nailed it. Everyone is different and needing to fit into a different culture than their comfort zone isn't something desirable.

Even people who think they can often find out they are wrong, an expat in Costa Rica said for every ten retired couples that triumphantly arrives there to start their brave new cheapo retirement life of fresh fruit and clean mountain air there are eight moving back to the United States having decided the culture shock and constant struggles with bureaucracy aren't for them.

In the United States you might have a neighbor that irritates you with a barking dog, but in Thailand or Panama it might be a neighbor who decides they are going to string up lights and open a Karaoke Bar in their backyard that runs until 2:00 am every night and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it because their brother in law is the local assistant government minister of whatever. Totally different level of irritation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 PM

18,162 posts, read 23,295,045 times
I moved to Mexico for a year, intending to retire there. It made me love the USA.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 PM

1,085 posts, read 833,918 times
"Totally different level of irritation". Nicely sums up leaving the country one is deeply rooted in and culturally familiar with.

Look for a state in the union that offers affordable living for your pocketbook and move there.

We are still the best country in the world ----- flaws and all

Old 02-11-2016, 10:40 PM
Status: "Is that all there is? Then let's keep dancing!" (set 7 days ago)

996 posts, read 873,769 times
We have friends who came close to pre-retiring to Belize. They were going to run a small business there for 10 years or so, then retire.

It's an English-speaking country with a great climate. Not sure about how cheap it is. They ultimately decided against the move. But it does look like a beautiful country.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 PM

5,418 posts, read 3,109,339 times
Costa Rica has less turmoil than Nicaragua.

Florida is as far south as I will go.

Canada is nice, but they really need to do something about their winters to get me to go up there.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 AM

19,079 posts, read 9,832,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I moved to Mexico for a year, intending to retire there. It made me love the USA.
We have friends that moved to a famous Mexican retirement place and hated it and came back after 2 years. But I also have friends that have retired or moved to Thailand and love it.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:59 AM

6,229 posts, read 5,415,415 times
Probably somewhere in Asia. The upside is you can get quality healthcare for only a fraction of the cost you pay in the US because of the health care cartel. Seeing these bozos that we have as presidential "candidates" makes me want to retire even faster.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:24 AM

10,574 posts, read 8,867,060 times
I will retire in Denmark. Where I'd like to retire? The Spanish Pyrenees.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:57 AM

14,287 posts, read 7,630,536 times
I will be tethered to Medicare in 7 1/2 years and prefer to live easy driving distance from world class health care. I'm French-fluent and can hack my way through Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, and German. The Algarve as a snowbird renter looks somewhat interesting as something to try to cut the edge off New England winter. With the huge Brit expat population and all the Brit tourism, English works pretty well and the costs are low by European standards. Lisbon isn't that far and it's an easy flight back to the US if I need more than basic medical care. I don't think I'd want to be permanently out of my comfort zone in a non-English speaking place but 2 or 3 months would be fine. I've already made my decision that I'm staying put.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:25 AM

1,149 posts, read 3,047,118 times
Default Why not try PR.

I'm about half-retired to a beautiful place called Humacao, Puerto Rico. PR is a truly tropical Caribbean Island that was a Spanish Colony until the Spanish-American war defeat brought it over to become a self-governing (put USA-defensed, dollar-denominated) American territory or "Commonwealth". It's not as cheap as Nicaragua, etc, because of US minimum wage, environmental rule-of law, but it's still in the Great Recession and has a Commonwealth debt problem making it super-cheap place to buy a nice piece of land. Unlike Mexico you can BUY, not lease land near the coast. We bought a place with the view below for around $200K with view of the Caribbean and over an acre. We're going to soon have an infinity pool overlooking the Straits of Vieques.
Attached Thumbnails
best countries for retirement?-humacaopool.jpeg  

Last edited by bamba_boy; 02-12-2016 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or