Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 03:13 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,016,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
Go to any State's Dept. of Health web site any you will find more that you can imagine physicians of every specialty with revoked or suspended licenses because the care they rendered was questionable, deemed unsafe, or caused actual harm due to negligent practices. I think it is safe to say all should exercise caution and informed judgment when seeking any kind of medical care and not just chiropractic. I have lost count of the physicians of all specialties and a few nurses I might add that I have worked with through the years that I would not allow any of them to lay a hand on a family member or friend.
This is nutty. It represents this as the norm instead of an unusual occurrence. Sure, bad physicians leak out into the system but there are very few of them. Most land in Federal jobs nobody else wants after their state license has been yanked. The VA and the Federal Prison system are loaded with problem doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,607 posts, read 57,579,010 times
Seems those who have no interest or need to relocate are back to CONTROL the thread, and diss the needy / information channel of "outside-the-conventional-box" retirement choices, including other countries.

Just imagine...
What if someone retired pre age 65. OMG say it isn't true
Suppose someone is actually INTERESTED and willing and DESIRING to live outside the USA in retirement.
Per small chance, just a couple readers happened to get RIF, re-trenched, or downsized pre age 65
Could you imagine a C-D poster who is NOT on a Federal or State pension
Surely EVERYONE gets retirement healthcare provided by their former employers...

"Best countries to retire" may include the USA

If ...you are 'priviledged' (and retired AFTER age 65 and on a double 'attorney' income)! ... That is surely about 99% of C-D posters, but probably only 5% of C-D readers.

The Italian Alps looked pretty good to me last week.
I can see my next post-retirement career as a 'woodchopper'

At least I could get in to see the Dr, without insurance, and in spite of being retired over 15 yrs pre age 65.

USA Dr. would have his friendly 'retired' attorney friend draft up a property lien on my house, BEFORE he would schedule me in for an appointment.

As mentioned... The USA is great for those who can afford medical care / coverage.

You gotta love the new USA A(?)CA options... $2000/ mo for a $20,000/yr out-of-pocket.
Perfect.... What's not to love about that!

Old 05-02-2016, 12:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,518,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Seems those who have no interest or need to relocate are back to CONTROL the thread, and diss the needy / information channel of "outside-the-conventional-box" retirement choices, including other countries.

Just imagine...
What if someone retired pre age 65. OMG say it isn't true
Suppose someone is actually INTERESTED and willing and DESIRING to live outside the USA in retirement.
Per small chance, just a couple readers happened to get RIF, re-trenched, or downsized pre age 65
Could you imagine a C-D poster who is NOT on a Federal or State pension
Surely EVERYONE gets retirement healthcare provided by their former employers...

It's true, I retired 16 days after I turned 60. With both a federal and state pension. My wife retired the same day I did, 14 days after she turned 58, but she only gets a state pension. And we both get free health care from the state and free Tricare from the military.
"Best countries to retire" may include the USA

If ...you are 'priviledged' (and retired AFTER age 65 and on a double 'attorney' income)! ... That is surely about 99% of C-D posters, but probably only 5% of C-D readers.

The Italian Alps looked pretty good to me last week.
I can see my next post-retirement career as a 'woodchopper'

At least I could get in to see the Dr, without insurance, and in spite of being retired over 15 yrs pre age 65.

USA Dr. would have his friendly 'retired' attorney friend draft up a property lien on my house, BEFORE he would schedule me in for an appointment.

As mentioned... The USA is great for those who can afford medical care / coverage.

My insurance coverage is free to me, but it's been a total waste. It's paid for a couple of prescriptions when I had bronchitis and when I stepped on a rusty nail. But other than that, my insurance hasn't paid for anything. Those two doctor visits were out of my pocket. Other than that, I've never needed the services of a doctor.

You gotta love the new USA A(?)CA options... $2000/ mo for a $20,000/yr out-of-pocket.
Perfect.... What's not to love about that!

Try not to be too bitter. I worked hard for those retirements. So did my wife.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 05-02-2016 at 12:19 AM..

Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM

813 posts, read 1,129,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
It is Sunday morning here and my one year old had a slight fever the past two nights (but fine during the day) Do not feel like schlepping to the Doctor, So my wife called the insurance company and asked for a Pediatrician to come to the house. If we took him to the ER (it would be free) but to come to the house on Sunday it will cost me $15 bucks. You gotta love this country!
So, the pediatrician came and saw my son and I paid $15.00. She handed me a script with three medications on it (and I thought here's the catch). But No, we walked outside to her van, The driver came out and the DR. gave him the script wich he proceeded to fill on the spot at no additional cost. I bottle of Arithmetician, 1 bottle of Analgesic and a third bottle of something else.

I have a zero deductible health policy that only costs $53.00/mth!

Old 08-14-2022, 07:53 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,581,692 times
I really like these 2 countries.

Armenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbQpoVRkcAA

Bulgaria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HgiJR2XhJA

Old 08-20-2022, 10:01 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,581,692 times
With cheapening euros, anyone else wanting to check out Schengen more?

Old 08-20-2022, 05:06 PM

7,168 posts, read 3,980,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
There's going to natural gas shortages over there. Germany apartments are already is cutting back on hot water/heat. I'm not interested in cold hotel rooms.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:17 PM

5,231 posts, read 3,570,791 times
While the Euro may be cheapening they have inflation at least as bad as the US.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:13 AM

5,671 posts, read 11,227,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
There's going to natural gas shortages over there. Germany apartments are already is cutting back on hot water/heat. I'm not interested in cold hotel rooms.
Not all places in Germany or the EU are affected by the natural gas shortage - the city where I live has a coal-fired power and steam plant. The soft brown (lignite) coal arrives by train from an open pit mine about 1 hour north. It is the same old-school system that has chugged along for many decades. The coal furnace heats water for steam turbines to generate power, and additional steam is carried all over the city in a massive underground pipe network as the source of heat for hot water and central heating boilers in the basements of many apartments and commercial buildings. It is a great heat and hot water system.

With the strong dollar, I am doing fine on my retirement income. My rent has not increased - my all in rental cost is $650 (or Euro) per month including furnishings, water, trash, heat, hot water, power, internet and TV. I pay more for private health insurance than my monthly rental cost, but even that combined with my rent cost is still less expensive than a high quality 1 bedroom apartment rental in most US cities. For June, July & August, I got almost free transportation for 9 Euro per month with the unlimited transit and regional train pass in Germany.

Old 08-21-2022, 12:53 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,544,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Sure. I'd like to live in Schengen 3 months, Turkey 3 months then here at home 6 months. The Greek isles were a favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement