Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:54 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times

Advertisements

Antarctica is not very crowded if you are the get away from it all type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 01:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I left the U.S. more than sixteen years ago, and only regret that I couldn't have left even earlier.

You do your homework, you don't choose based on costs first, and you get honest with yourself about yourself - then you go....or in most cases shouldn't. IMO, we Americans on the whole are not a very adaptable people.

I've never lived in a place with barbed wire around it, always had a sea view and no more than five minute walk to a beach, country views as well and quick access to the countryside, absolutely fine medical care, lived in working class-middle class local neighborhoods -except once (mistake, don't live with ex-pats!), learned enough of the local language to make my way and not pull the above-it-all-ex-pat act.........Comfort zone?

Mine doesn't have elastic walls, but you sure can't do it if everything in life is a B effing D and your built-in beetch-o-meter is always on. If someone wants an American lifestyle, why the hell would they think of looking elsewhere than the USA?....you're not going to find it in Panama, Portugal, Belize, Greece, Thailand......etc., unless you're limiting the term "lifestyle" to a few material items maybe.

I don't think there are any "best countries," what matters is the fit to the particular individual.

That's true about Americans not being the most adaptable people. I've had several friends visit me in Puerto Rico from the US mainland and they had a great time but were definitely not going to join me here in retirement. Too much Spanish language, food too unusual, too third world, too hot, no winters, service workers are too slow, blah blah blah ... and this is an American Commonwealth with full US rule of law and a much higher standard of living than any Caribbean Island or Central American country! I'm fine with the different culture and really enjoy it. However, we've lived in other countries working in the oil industry and have developed lots of adaptive mechanisms. You really do need to do a months long "trial period" living in a place in rental property before going all in with a permanent move, buying a place. Living somewhere isn't at all like spending a week or two vacation in a place.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:53 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Living somewhere isn't at all like spending a week or two vacation in a place.
This.

The rooster crowing from the cardboard box on your bus is only cute and novel the first few times.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Stable inexpensive countries include Spain, Chile, Peru, Thailand, Philippines. Thailand, Peru, and Philippines should cost about half of what you would need n the USA for similar lifestyle, Chile and Spain you could probably do for about 25% less than similar in USA. One thing to keep in mind is that costs and currencies change over time so what may be a great place can become not so great. If i really were crunched for money, I would pick Thailand and if I wanted to live a 1st world lifestyle at a lower cost, I would go with Spain.
TT, one of the posters here on C-D (kevxu) lives in Algarve, Portugal. He speaks highly of the country, and of his life there. Do you also know about Portugal? If so, please do tell! Thanks, Jane

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I read an article about a couple who retired to Portugal, not Thailand level of cheapo but definitely cheaper than similar digs (block from the beach) in the United States.

Malaysia is also appealing, in many ways has some advantage over Thailand in that English is more widely spoken by locals not in the tourism industry and the visa exemption for US citizens is 90 days instead of 30. Malaysia has some expat communities (granted mainly Brits in Penang, Kuching, and Kota Kinabalu), like Singapore is far more culturally/racially diverse than other Asian countries with Chinese, Malay, and Indians making up most of the population.

In my opinion Malaysia also has a much more attractive retirement visa program than Thailand. If you do need to make a visa run just take a bus to Singapore or a $35 Air Asia ticket to Krabi in Thailand for a weekend, neither option has you dealing with visas and fees like border runs from northern Thailand into Cambodia/Laos/Myanmar.

Info on Malaysia retirement program here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_My_Second_Home

Liequiang, very useful information! Thank you for sharing!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't understand how single white looking for sex tourism would impact your retirement life.

What do you go hang out at the red light district then get offended that single white men are about? Maybe you take offense if you see a single white man at the mall, assuming he must be there for sex tourist thus ruining your stay?
Liequiang, some of us are just prudish that way. Personally, it makes me all squirmy that the parents popped out those puppies for an economic incentive: sell a kid for cash on the hoof, or get a lifetime annuity from a percentage of the profits. "Cash for kids" is the economic model.

It's the same thing in Mexico. The systemic corruption in Malaysia and Mexico enables captive trafficking of children. In Mexico, a country with which I am familiar - having lived there as a professional - your objective while in office for a two year term is to make enough money to live from for the rest of your life, and to leave a legacy to the kids, and to employ all of your in-laws.

Breed less, educate more is my preference.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I love watching those beautiful oceanfront retirements on "House Hunters International," but always worry when the house is behind tall fences with barbed wire on top and the windows are barred. I'm strangely (for a staunch Capitalist) attracted to Denmark, Sweden, and the Netherlands.

Otter, FWIW - surely you know the Corruption Perception Index published annually by Transparency International?

Corruption Perceptions Index 2015 - Transparency International

The countries that you mention, in Northern Europe, dominate the rankings for least corruption. The higher up a country is on the list, the least corrupt.

I also have a gut level aversion to corruption, and to being around morally and intellectually corrupt people. Hence (although being capitalist-minded myself), I share your views.

A quibble on terminology: we do not live in a capitalistic society anymore. We live in a fascist society, in which corporate money controls government policy. My comment is not intended to incite a flame war. The inner research scientist insists on correct definitions and correct terminology. Best, Jane

Old 02-15-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post

we've lived in other countries working in the oil industry and have developed lots of adaptive mechanisms. You really do need to do a months long "trial period" living in a place in rental property before going all in with a permanent move, buying a place. Living somewhere isn't at all like spending a week or two vacation in a place.

You would be doing us all a favor if you told us some more about your adaptive mechanisms, or better yet, how you happened to learn them!

Thanks in advance, Jane

Old 02-16-2016, 12:57 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Yep Mr5150

In the United States you might have a neighbor that irritates you with a barking dog, but in Thailand or Panama it might be a neighbor who decides they are going to string up lights and open a Karaoke Bar in their backyard that runs until 2:00 am every night and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it because their brother in law is the local assistant government minister of whatever. Totally different level of irritation.
You nailed it with longer nail!

I made a dozen trips to South and Central America between 2004-2009 with the possible idea of becoming an expat somewhere down there, and being too sensitive to noise, it was the unwarranted noise that put an end to that idea!

Loud, heart-stopping boom cars, nonstop car alarms going off, roosters waking me up at 5am, pick-ups with loud speakers riding around town advertising whatever, blasting loud speakers outside electronic stores, riding on some buses with blasting rap music playing, disco's blasting out music until all hours of the morning which you can hear 4-5 blocks away, dogs barking and the evangelical churches. Yes!

I stopped off for a day along the Ruta de Flores in El Salvador, small little town, I was thinking it would be the quietest place in El Salvador for a good night's sleep if nothing else. Overlooked, was 4 evangelical churches, blasting their sermons/music (as if they were competing with one another for patrons) until 1am! Sheesh! Gimme a break!!!

One time, I went as far as having a real estate agent show me some properties in the Tijuana/Rosarito area, and the agent was boasting: Here, you can have a loud all-night party, and no one calls the police!

That did it!!!!

What a long, long way they are from NYC/Manhattan where car alarms are illegal, $350 fine for honking your horn in a residential area!

And with the lowering of the fertility rate all over Latin America, including Mexico, the cost of living is going to go up and up and up and up, over time!

Yes, you'll be stumbling over senior citizens in those countries one day as well!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
This.

The rooster crowing from the cardboard box on your bus is only cute and novel the first few times.

Since you brought up the roosters, I will note that in a lot of the YouTube videos from some of the countries mentioned in this thread, the noise levels between all the dogs and the roosters is very high and the "peace and quiet" index is very low.

==================

As for Americans being adaptable, I do not think that MOST 60+ year olds from other countries are all that adaptable either. You get to an age where the routine and the familiar are valued. (No, I don't do hostels.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement