U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 PM

15,251 posts, read 8,543,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
I still think Bountiful Baskets is the best bang for your buck!
Is that food delivery or meal (prep) delivery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 03:18 PM

7,185 posts, read 2,757,042 times
We wouldn't want to get the pre-designed foods, but would love to have someone shop for us.

We live pretty far in the goony weeds in north central Florida, and I just heard about a shopping/delivery service, we go shop.com where, for $20 for up to $150 in grocery receipt, they will shop for you. Extra $5 per store for multiple stores, and 25% discount for military & veterans. Couldn't believe we are actually in their delivery area. Only drawback I see is that we like to shop at a store that gives a discount for gas, and we wouldn't get it with the service. But, at $.05 a gallon with a 20 gallon max, we aren't saving a huge amount. I'm thinking with our F350 diesel, going round trip is about the same in gas as their fee, and we can avoid the trips, if all we want is groceries.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:02 PM

544 posts, read 252,475 times
We've been doing Blue Apron for 10 months and really like it. I've learned to like foods that have never before appealed to me, as well as foods that I've never heard of before.

Out of the three weekly meals, we have enough leftovers for another meal from at least one of the selections.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:22 PM

19,848 posts, read 18,874,270 times
Well, the website inspired me to go out and buy the foods to make one of their meals. Cost about $5.00 and won't be so much prep--it uses squash so I bought squash that's already peeled and cut.

I think it would be a good gift subscription for millennials who are getting their first apartment and want to learn how to cook. They might be overwhelmed with how to cook and what to buy, but this site provides it all, including the lessons. This would get them started.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,672,610 times
My sister emailed me today asking I'd I had heard of Blue Apron and I had not. What a timely topic, She loves it, she's working full time and a part time job. Her daughter is in town with her for 6 months of college after doing online classes and there is an infant grandson in the mix until they leave in May and rejoin the father. They are so busy and passing like ships through the night that Blue Apron is giving them a fun alternative to the eternal question of "what's for dinner?" They both like to cook and are open to new foods and recipes, so it's working well for them.

I've got the time and I enjoy making meals and shopping so I don't have a need. The one advantage I see is getting the right amount of unusual spice and not buying a large amount that may not be used again. I have a nearby health food store that sells items in bulk bins and I can buy as much or little of spice I need, which is nice although they don't carry all spices. I borrowed some astafoetida from our son and got some sumac from Amazon in the past few months that I couldn't find locally. I'm fairly adventuresome with food too.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,804,608 times
Two of my sons and their SOs use BlueApron, and love it. On their advice, I ordered it for my mother (she's 90), and the prep exhausted her. The boxes were also too heavy for her to bring inside. But I have only heard wonderful things about the quality of the ingredients.

I also looked into HelloFresh, and was concerned by the amount of reviewers who said the cancellation process was difficult. It was easy with BlueApron.

The portions with BlueApron are generous. I'm not sure about Hello Fresh, but my sons always have leftovers for lunch.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM

13,046 posts, read 15,403,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Wow Schwan's is still around? I remember as a kid the Schwan man would pull up to all the houses around me and delivery these mystery boxes and I was always so intrigued. I felt so special when I'd go to my friend's house for dinner and his mom would pull out a Schwan box!

Is / was Schwan's really expensive? I'd imagine they'd have to have changed their business model recently. Back then they probably had a monopoly, now they have tons of competition.
My mom used to buy the ice cream when I was a kid, and I think it was expensive. I think all they had back then was ice cream. I remember her buying some that had crunchy butterscotch chips in it and we thought it was soooo good. We didn't have a lot of money so she much have really thought it was good to pay a lot for it.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,070,414 times
Wow -- it's really expensive. $60 per 6 servings? Uh, no.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 PM

205 posts, read 440,657 times
The cost is expensive when you look at it from a point blank figure but if you take into account what you pay, meal by meal, and add it up over the course of a week or month I think you would be even more surprised. $5 here, 8$ here, $7 here etc... it adds up. Especially if there is enough food left over for the following days lunch, that kills having to buy that meal.

Lots of good information and opinions in this thread. My vote is in favor of it. I would rather spend the time doing the prep (how else do you learn your way around the kitchen if you don't have great prior experience?). Not to mention the time spent doing the prep is much better than spending that time in the grocery store! I would rather not leave the house. The time you spend getting in the car, going to the store, getting home and sorting everything and your meal prep was already done and you didn't have to leave the house!

Just my opinion!

BTW, the food is very good quality.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,804,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Wow -- it's really expensive. $60 per 6 servings? Uh, no.
I think it seems reasonable at $10.00/serving, especially for those who rely on take-out or dining out, like my sons. The menu is varied, and quite interesting, and I've been told the ingredients are very fresh and high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or