U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM

19,928 posts, read 18,947,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think it seems reasonable at $10.00/serving, especially for those who rely on take-out or dining out, like my sons. The menu is varied, and quite interesting, and I've been told the ingredients are very fresh and high quality.
Well, they've figured it out right. The vegetables they offer are the type that don't spoil--root vegetables, brussels sprouts, etc. The menus are interesting, healthy, and varied. I still think it's a good intro to cooking for people who need to learn how to cook. It includes ideas for what to eat, directions for how to prepare it, and it saves you the trouble of grocery shopping.

It sure beats eating out--which is a concept I don't understand anyway except for every once in a while. If it will get young people to stop all this fast food and restaurant eating, that's a good thing. They'll be eating healthier and they'll be learning how to cook.

I can also see where it could come in handy when you are really stressed out from working too much. That's not a retirement issue though; most of us have plenty of time to plan and cook if we want to.

I'd like some kind of food that didn't even need preparation at all for when I'm sick. Not take out junk but actual food. Also for the very elderly, that kind of meal would be useful.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 PM

718 posts, read 605,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is that food delivery or meal (prep) delivery?
Neither. It's sort of a community garden kind of thing where you pick up your "basket" chock full of whatever vegetable and fruit is available...may or may not be what you want. You don't choose what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 PM

4,991 posts, read 3,484,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Wow Schwan's is still around? I remember as a kid the Schwan man would pull up to all the houses around me and delivery these mystery boxes and I was always so intrigued. I felt so special when I'd go to my friend's house for dinner and his mom would pull out a Schwan box!

Is / was Schwan's really expensive? I'd imagine they'd have to have changed their business model recently. Back then they probably had a monopoly, now they have tons of competition.
I didn't find it too expensive. I didn't order the treats, just chicken, fish, 3 different vegetable packages & assorted frozen fruit. I was surprised at how large the packages were for the price. It wasn't as cheap as going to a regular grocery store but worth it to me with the weather we've been having. I do not want to drive in blowing snow, freezing cold &/or snow storms.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:09 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,229,892 times
My son and DIL in NH received a subscription (?) to Blue Apron. Son was quite enthusiastic about the meals, so I'm guessing it works for them. Meanwhile, I'm not a cook. At all. But I recently purchased a cookbook (!) that I reviewed prior to purchasing.

A Real Southern Cook in Her Savannah Kitchen by Dora Charles.

I love it! Tips such as: "A good frying fat is stable and won't break down easily." [Examples include] Crisco, Rendered lard from a butcher or farmers' market ...bacon grease...peanut oil, etc. The tips are helpful for someone like me, the food looks delicious and I am so psyched!

Obviously not for the cook who is interested in a "healthy" meal.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 PM

13,352 posts, read 25,625,436 times
[quote=Mattie;42988529]
I also looked into HelloFresh, and was concerned by the amount of reviewers who said the cancellation process was difficult. It was easy with BlueApron.
QUOTE]

My cancellation with HelloFresh was very easy.
I am currently going through the many recipe cards I have to see which ones to keep and try on my own.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:59 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,875,142 times
Doesn't look very appetizing. Who doesn't know how to cook a hamburger?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:20 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,689,422 times
Neighbor in Omaha used to go to a business where they had different stations you could assemble a recipe from the prepared food into a container to freeze. Take home a week or two of ready to freeze meals and then just pull them out in the morning before you go to work, come home, preheat the oven and pop one in.

Not sure those places survived the arrival of more frozen means ready in the bag at your supermarket. I guess it gave more control over sodium content. IDK.

I don't mind cooking on my own. I'll be interested in alternatives down the road as I age where I don't have to assemble or do much prep.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:53 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,037,446 times
It looks like a good way to teach someone how easy it is to start cooking, then you can buy your own ingredients and a cookbook. I can't see it (with my budget) as a long-term commitment.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:56 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,082,431 times
I will stick with my 'kiss the cook apron' Never been a fan of blue.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:55 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,368,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My son and DIL in NH received a subscription (?) to Blue Apron. Son was quite enthusiastic about the meals, so I'm guessing it works for them. Meanwhile, I'm not a cook. At all. But I recently purchased a cookbook (!) that I reviewed prior to purchasing.

A Real Southern Cook in Her Savannah Kitchen by Dora Charles.

I love it! Tips such as: "A good frying fat is stable and won't break down easily." [Examples include] Crisco, Rendered lard from a butcher or farmers' market ...bacon grease...peanut oil, etc. The tips are helpful for someone like me, the food looks delicious and I am so psyched!

Obviously not for the cook who is interested in a "healthy" meal.
Wow! Let's all raise our cholesterol together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or