U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:36 AM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times

Advertisements

I looked at and tired some home delivery stuff but the portion sizes were the main problem as I am cooking for one and I am not big on leftovers. The meat portion of a single meal is not an issue as one can buy a piece of most anything. I do not need meat, potato, and a veggie for every meal. Basically I make it a two part meal. Meat and potato or meat and a veggie. I know this is bad, but I have no issues in not using a whole can/package of veggies and disposing of leftovers especially when they are on sale and you are paying less than $1 per can and the frozen about $2. There are also small cans of veggies so I stock up on them when I see them. I also will buy a rotisserie chicken for about $5 when on sale and boil up some potatoes (with dill weed) and end up with a good meal costing about $7 and maybe one more meal with leftover chicken so about $3 per meal. And yes, much of the chicken does get thrown away. I know. Strip the meat and save it, but I do not.

Yesterday, I had some instant oatmeal for breakfast at about 9am. I went out to a Korean restaurant for lunch at about 2pm. As I had a big lunch I was not very hungry come the evening so at about 7pm I baked up some packaged, frozen chicken strips. While they are not that special (had them before), they were OK with some honey mustard dipping sauce.

Tonight I plan on grilling a small rib eye steak and baking a sweet potato. A quick, easy to prepare, and solid meal.

Cooking for one can be easy as there is no one complaining......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,078,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I looked at and tired some home delivery stuff but the portion sizes were the main problem as I am cooking for one and I am not big on leftovers. The meat portion of a single meal is not an issue as one can buy a piece of most anything. I do not need meat, potato, and a veggie for every meal. Basically I make it a two part meal. Meat and potato or meat and a veggie. I know this is bad, but I have no issues in not using a whole can/package of veggies and disposing of leftovers especially when they are on sale and you are paying less than $1 per can and the frozen about $2. There are also small cans of veggies so I stock up on them when I see them. I also will buy a rotisserie chicken for about $5 when on sale and boil up some potatoes (with dill weed) and end up with a good meal costing about $7 and maybe one more meal with leftover chicken so about $3 per meal. And yes, much of the chicken does get thrown away. I know. Strip the meat and save it, but I do not.

Yesterday, I had some instant oatmeal for breakfast at about 9am. I went out to a Korean restaurant for lunch at about 2pm. As I had a big lunch I was not very hungry come the evening so at about 7pm I baked up some packaged, frozen chicken strips. While they are not that special (had them before), they were OK with some honey mustard dipping sauce.

Tonight I plan on grilling a small rib eye steak and baking a sweet potato. A quick, easy to prepare, and solid meal.

Cooking for one can be easy as there is no one complaining......LOL
In a perfect world cooking for one and having someone else to do the dishes would be the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or