U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:45 PM

446 posts, read 553,072 times

Advertisements

It's like netflix for food. They send you a package of everything you need to make three meals.

I am a total moron in the kitchen and tonight I made the best meal I've had in a year. Better than eating in a restaurant. It was amazing.

By all means check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,425,625 times
I guess if you've never cooked, it's great.

But FreshDirect or AmazonFresh and a recipe book is equally good and cheaper.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:45 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,212,035 times
The regular grocery and a cook book is even better but if you do not like either I'm glad you enjoyed your meal and I hope the rest you try are just as tasty.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:53 PM

996 posts, read 862,463 times
Wow, maybe if the alternative was to go out to a restaurant . . .

I looked into blue apron and a few others of that ilk. Many of the reviews I read mentioned that the suggested prep times were on the optimistic side, so 30 minutes before putting the meal in the oven actually turned into 45! If the point is to make life easier, that doesn't seem to be working.

As I remember, you could choose three meals a week out of five or six choices. I checked back multiple weeks. There was always one yummy-sounding dinner, and then I couldn't find two more that I thought we'd eat, let alone enjoy. Plus it's around $12 per person per meal, and usually the ingredients were nowhere near that pricey. Plus I have to provide the labor!

I actually have been learning to enjoy cooking, though not shopping for the ingredients. So at first these dinner ingredient services sounded like the Real Deal for us. But after a lot of research, I've decided it simply isn't for us. If it works for you, how terrific!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,454,424 times
I've been getting groceries from Schwan' s, but only frozen food and also use Amazon pantry. I still have to go to the store someday, but has sure worked good this winter. So glad I don't have to drive this winter.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:02 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I used HelloFresh for several months, because I really don't know how to cook and overall, I liked the meals and what I learned. I stopped it because I went to full-time third shift, and ended up just grabbing the main protein source and throwing it in the oven, and not using the other ingredients. It was a bit pricey but the meals were largely very good (and when they weren't so good, it was usually my doing).

Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,043,990 times
Now that I'm retired, I have lots of time to prepare gourmet meals from scratch.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:05 AM

71,501 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Our kids tried it. While they claim meals can be made in 30 minutes the cooking ,cutting and prep can take 3x that.
We found the food okay but to be honest we could have gotten similar recepies off the web and just did things a lot cheaper

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 AM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Our kids tried it. While they claim meals can be made in 30 minutes the cooking ,cutting and prep can take 3x that.
We found the food okay but to be honest we could have gotten similar recepies off the web and just did things a lot cheaper
Pricing is the deal breaker for me.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:54 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,456,069 times
It's not cheap, and yes, you do have to provide the labor. For much of the chopping/slicing a food processor helps a lot.

However, while you could get all of the ingredients yourself, not all of them are easily found in your local grocery store. The quantities provided in the box are just enough to make the dinner so you don't have to buy a whole box/bag/package of something just for the tablespoon you need.

I'm not retired (just happened to catch the title in the active threads section) but have subscribed to it for a number of months now, for 2 meals per week. For a working couple with kids it takes away one question that inevitably gets asked when we get home - "what are we going to cook for dinner, or do we just make pasta?"

For a retired person, especially one on a fixed income and who has more time than money to spend, Blue Apron isn't probably your target market. For that you can go shopping and probably borrow a ton of different recipe books from your local public library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or