U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,823,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I hope you had the opportunity to thank her for supplying you with the time to watch her life circling the drain. Did she see you in court?
Oh, yes, she saw me.

Can't say anymore without writing a book!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 10:57 AM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ha, I got a freaking text message on the Monday morning after Xmas..."Don't bother coming to work".

Nice, eh?
My little business unit with 20 people was sold to a Korean company 14 months ago. Most of us telecommute and are spread around the country. They've been picking us off with sniper fire one at a time as they've decided they've sucked our knowledge dry and our job function can be replace by Koreans with H1B visas shipped in from the mothership and working for pennies on the dollar. We're paid on the 15th and last day of the month. You get an email on the 16th or the 1st that your next pay check is your last one. Wrap things up and ship all your capital equipment back. It's followed by a FEDEX envelope with the legally required termination letter and COBRA stuff. We're down to 10 people. I click on emails from the Korean overlords with iffy titles with a bit of trepidation. I have skills and subject matter expertise that would be impossible for the Koreans to easily replace if they want to stay in my business so I "think" I'm OK for a while. My target retirement date is 7 years, 10 months from now. It would be challenging to find a replacement telecommuting job and I'd be facing a really nasty commute to an office building. Like a lot of people, I don't have the net worth or defined benefit pension to retire early. I kind of need to stay on plan for 7+ years or I take an enormous lifestyle hit.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:42 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
I think all will be ok. I had planned to go out in April when I turned 63, anyway. Now, I get some additional pay on top of that that I hadn't counted on. Just met this morning with my excellent FA for reassurance and I will have enough to wait until FRA for SS (how's that for a mouthful of abbreviations?)

This bosstard was on my a$$ all the time and I knew any infractions would move me to the top of the sh*t list. So, now I must accept it and move on and put pride on a back burner.

Here's to retirement! Not exactly the way I planned, but pretty darned close.
Hold that thought. Sounds like your ex-boss did you a favor in the long run.

Maybe you wouldn't have chosen retirement this way, but but it could very well be it's the best thing that could have happened with regards to your long term plans.

And having to swallow any pride from this turn of events will be a very short-lived thing as you prevail.

I can identify from my last experience at being downsized from an employer many years ago in a move where they cut the staff down by one half. They actually did me a huge favor when they did that, as I went on bigger and better things, including another job I liked much better.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:20 PM

3,612 posts, read 1,628,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Hold that thought. Sounds like your ex-boss did you a favor in the long run.

Maybe you wouldn't have chosen retirement this way, but but it could very well be it's the best thing that could have happened with regards to your long term plans.

And having to swallow any pride from this turn of events will be a very short-lived thing as you prevail.

I can identify from my last experience at being downsized from an employer many years ago in a move where they cut the staff down by one half. They actually did me a huge favor when they did that, as I went on bigger and better things, including another job I liked much better.
Who knows if it was a favor or guilt, but I do like the direction you took. Having been on the other side of the fence and knowing what's coming or likely coming causes decisions to be made. If someone quits, they get nothing. If I have to RIF 10 people, but can pay severance packages and know of 7 looking to go within the year I want to start there.

I've no problem paying someone out 80 weeks of pay that was planning on staying just 12, especially if that will motivate them to train someone and keep the ship moving while they're gone and go on good graces. RIF costs are normally below the "bottom line". Payroll never is.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:03 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
I think you all need to talk to labor lawyers and file discrimination complaints/lawsuits. There are a lot of lawyers out there who specialize in wrongful terminations and discrimination.

It doesn't matter if you were planning on quitting or not.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:55 PM

3,612 posts, read 1,628,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you all need to talk to labor lawyers and file discrimination complaints/lawsuits. There are a lot of lawyers out there who specialize in wrongful terminations and discrimination.

You have to think that through. I file claim, I win, I never work again because nobody will hire someone with that in their background.

Think the accountant that ratted out Enron ever worked as an accountant again?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,033,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

If you can't prove unlawful discrimination in a RIF termination a lawsuit would be just a waste of time and money. Especially when one serves "at the will and pleasure" of the employer. And the last job from which I was downsized paid me well, and had good benefits, and I probably would not have quit on my own. But it was a highly stressful job that took quite a toll on my psyche, demanded time and energy outside the stated terms of employment I should have spent on my own personal and family needs, and those demanding that time and energy neither acknowledged or appreciated it. I spent over six years at that job, and when they announced the elimination of my position along with the others, after the initial shock I breathed a silent "Halleluia" under my breath, I think. Especially as the termination package, including 8 weeks of PTO ( which I could never take off due to the work demands), and another 9 weeks of pay did just fine to tide us over till I started to work again.

I got several job offers when it got around that I was available. I took one and began work there three months after I left that job.
The funny thing was that I was contacted twice over the years by the people who had laid me off , they wondered if I might be interested in coming back to work for them. The first time was about 1.5 yrs after I left, and the second time was about 10 yrs after that. I think my responses were, "hell no", and, "who did you say you were, again", and "surely you jest", respectively.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
Serving at the will of an employer doesn't allow discrimination. Of course, suing isn't the right choice for everyone, but if you were planning on retiring anyway, why not? Especially if the lawyer works on contingency.

So many on this thread have been wrongfully terminated because of age discrimination. It's against the law. I don't understand putting up with it, especially if you are prepared to retire. Might as well get a settlement out of it and give those twerps a nice consequence.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
This is exactly right.

I stupidly stayed at a company and watched four rounds of layoffs happen. Each time with less people left, the demand for work remained the same. It was a nightmare for those of us left. In a sick way, I was hoping for the layoff so I could get severance/unemployment/etc. Didn't happen.

"Anybody know how this system works?"
"Just Bill, and he was let go in round 2. Good luck!"

After talking with people that found other, more fulfilling jobs, it showed that the layoff was the best thing to happen to them. Those talks inspired me to leave. Believe it or not, some companies actually have competent bosses that care about you, and you'll probably be a way better worker there too.

Bad bosses are toxic, and can rob even the best work ethic from people after awhile.

OP, I hope you find a better fit! My guess is with the bar so low, that shouldn't be hard.
I've heard how that played out at SONY and also was one of the unlucky ones left behind to do everyone's work at a publishing company.

the lucky ones are the first to go because they tend to get the best packages.

even better, if they are offering early retirement, you should always jump to be the first to take the offer because it goes downhill from that point on very quickly.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 AM

761 posts, read 638,090 times
Mine was forced retirement. I do feel better about things in the long run. After meeting with my FA I have renewed confidence. May pick up some contracting work here and there but it will be on my terms from here on in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement