U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,318,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Wow... Around here your immediate manager boxes up your cubicle while you are getting your severance information from HR. Then you are walked out of the building and met at your car with your box(es) of personal items.
Wow, that's cold! No worries, it'll happen to them at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 PM

9,737 posts, read 7,025,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Mine was forced retirement. I do feel better about things in the long run. After meeting with my FA I have renewed confidence. May pick up some contracting work here and there but it will be on my terms from here on in.
There you go. You will feel even more confident and on top of things as time goes by. I hope that you made it a point to tell the FA that your being RIFed is their loss, not yours. Because it's probably true, not that they will care, or maybe even acknowledge it, but it makes you feel great to be able to say it to them on your way out the door.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Serving at the will of an employer doesn't allow discrimination. Of course, suing isn't the right choice for everyone, but if you were planning on retiring anyway, why not? Especially if the lawyer works on contingency.

So many on this thread have been wrongfully terminated because of age discrimination. It's against the law. I don't understand putting up with it, especially if you are prepared to retire. Might as well get a settlement out of it and give those twerps a nice consequence.
Unless one is a member of a government-protected minority, it's very difficult to prove discrimination. I have seen such minorities file lawsuits when they were part of a group that was laid off, or even when they were fired for obvious cause, but in those cases the employer was more likely to settle with the employee than to chance the negative publicity of a trial or hearing and the wrath of....well, you know.....

For the rest of us, when you aren't the oldest employee let go, you're let go as part of a group whose department is being outsourced, or eliminated, or from companies who riff employees as a quarter to quarter cost saving measure and you are the last one they hired, there really isn't much to stand on as far as a discrimination suit. I guess, if your schtick is to look around for opportunities to make a few bucks from a lawsuit-even a capricious lawsuit, then you have at it, and good luck. I've never been the litigatious type, and would only file a lawsuit if there is clear and compelling evidence of deliberate wrongdoing, not just on the chance I could make some money.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:46 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Unless one is a member of a government-protected minority, it's very difficult to prove discrimination. I have seen such minorities file lawsuits when they were part of a group that was laid off, or even when they were fired for obvious cause, but in those cases the employer was more likely to settle with the employee than to chance the negative publicity of a trial or hearing and the wrath of....well, you know.....

For the rest of us, when you aren't the oldest employee let go, you're let go as part of a group whose department is being outsourced, or eliminated, or from companies who riff employees as a quarter to quarter cost saving measure and you are the last one they hired, there really isn't much to stand on as far as a discrimination suit. I guess, if your schtick is to look around for opportunities to make a few bucks from a lawsuit-even a capricious lawsuit, then you have at it, and good luck. I've never been the litigatious type, and would only file a lawsuit if there is clear and compelling evidence of deliberate wrongdoing, not just on the chance I could make some money.
Age is a government protected minority. And suing for age discrimination is not frivolous or a schtick or capricious or done just to get some money.

If the law says someone must pay you money if they discriminate against you, then the government thinks they deserve to.

They love people like you who think it's somehow unscrupulous to actually use the legal system to protect their rights. They bank on it.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Age is a government protected minority. And suing for age discrimination is not frivolous or a schtick or capricious or done just to get some money.

If the law says someone must pay you money if they discriminate against you, then the government thinks they deserve to.

They love people like you who think it's somehow unscrupulous to actually use the legal system to protect their rights. They bank on it.
LOL, about as much as lawyers love people like you who figure using the legal system to make a quick windfall is the American Way.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
LOL, about as much as lawyers love people like you who figure using the legal system to make a quick windfall is the American Way.
Fighting for your legal rights has nothing to do with trying to make a quick buck.

The American Way allows people who are being treated illegally to use a legal system that will help them protect their rights and give a consequence to someone who breaks the law.

I believe in this system.

And I hate that smacking head emoticon. If someone needs to use it, in my opinion, it just shows that their written argument is not effective enough on it's own legs.

But, you can't reason with unreasonable people anyway.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Fighting for your legal rights has nothing to do with trying to make a quick buck.

The American Way allows people who are being treated illegally to use a legal system that will help them protect their rights and give a consequence to someone who breaks the law.

I believe in this system.

And I hate that smacking head emoticon. If someone needs to use it, in my opinion, it just shows that their written argument is not effective enough on it's own legs.

But, you can't reason with unreasonable people anyway.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, whatever it is. And your opinions about lawsuits, however capricious said lawsuits may be, is certainly shared by lots of folks who look for any reason at all to sue when any adverse, or even undesirable conditions fall upon them.

Sorry you don't like the emoticon. Maybe you can sue someone, LOL.

And actually, when someone starts the name calling is a good indication that their argument has failed. Ala, "unreasonable people"...

But thanks for playing...

Old 02-15-2016, 05:07 AM

761 posts, read 637,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Wow, that's cold! No worries, it'll happen to them at some point.
Karma is a beyatch and what goes around........comes around!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 AM

3,609 posts, read 1,623,694 times
Quote:
Serving at the will of an employer doesn't allow discrimination. Of course, suing isn't the right choice for everyone, but if you were planning on retiring anyway, why not? Especially if the lawyer works on contingency.

So many on this thread have been wrongfully terminated because of age discrimination. It's against the law. I don't understand putting up with it, especially if you are prepared to retire. Might as well get a settlement out of it and give those twerps a nice consequence.
That's very true. If you're at the end of you working career you can do it....and thank goodness a few people do or employers wouldn't bother with severance packages.

I recall once being on the sacking end and having a waste of a boss that was trying to go cheap. He started getting crazy when seeing how much 2 weeks per year served would cost for some longstanding employees. He thought it was nuts to pay someone more than 40 weeks and wanted to cap it, mostly because certain overages would come back on our income statement. I finally said, that's been our plan and how we've traditionally acted, which is how we mitigate risk, and anyone that's getting more than 40 weeks otherwise I'll bet is old. I pointed to the (in my mind) most disagreeable selection and noted that they'd been with this company since I was 2 years old, and make a fraction of what either of us did. Told him I wasn't smart enough to know how to cut that person a check with a different algorithm and would need help from Corporate. Once the issue got escalated Corporate came back and told us to if we wanted to do that, we were doing our own thing and they wouldn't cover any of it. The boss backed down, but he didn't forgive or forget. Luckily he didn't get less greedy, and eventually got him nailed in a kickback scheme.

Anyway, the people that actually will go the distance with cause are heroes, because managers that won't even extend rights to not discriminating tend to be bully/stupid/greedy bosses, and they can be hard to get rid of. At least at the top, most companies want to obey the law. But the top says cut, the upper middles says take out labor and it's the middle manager that starts looking at the specific old vs new and thinking discrimination is profitable for them. That kind of thinking is terrible for a company and a lawsuit that can highlight that helps companies who take it seriously.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,819,307 times
Quote:
Sorry you don't like the emoticon. Maybe you can sue someone, LOL.
LMAO!!!!! Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement