U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:21 PM

1,510 posts, read 970,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Go out with class and tell your bosstard (like that term of yours) to take notes of your classy exit because one day he/she will get their turn.
Returning a comment like that is classy?

Shake the hand, smile broadly and leave. She will get the message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:48 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
So Friday is the big equipment turn in:

1 personal laptop
1 government laptop
1 secure id card
1 headset and carrier bag
1 cell phone and charger
4 charging bricks (2 each for both laptops)
1 government id card with plastic holder
1 door entry card
1 building entry card
1 American Express Corporate Card

Bosstard has 2 employees turning in
equipment. I hope he brings a big box because the other guy has identical hardware.
I'm sure the bosstard will facetiously offer me an obligatory handshake and a "well wish".
I am undecided as to whether or not to shake his hand.

Shake their hand and leave with dignity.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,205,858 times
"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Smile and shake his hand, be the better person. This exchange won't matter to you 5 years down the road anyway.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:24 PM

2,902 posts, read 4,580,910 times
Quote:

I'm sure the bosstard will facetiously offer me an obligatory handshake and a "well wish".
I am undecided as to whether or not to shake his hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Returning a comment like that is classy?

Shake the hand, smile broadly and leave. She will get the message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Shake their hand and leave with dignity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

Smile and shake his hand, be the better person. This exchange won't matter to you 5 years down the road anyway.
I've never been sorry that I took the high road. I agree with the above posts: shake his/her hand and go into your retirement with a light heart and a smile.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 833,634 times
Yes, shake hand and smile (a Mona Lisa smile would be great). Someone once told me to never burn a bridge behind you cause you never know when you may need it, and I've always followed this great advice (though sometimes it was dang hard to do it!).

Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,887,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My little business unit with 20 people was sold to a Korean company 14 months ago. Most of us telecommute and are spread around the country. They've been picking us off with sniper fire one at a time as they've decided they've sucked our knowledge dry and our job function can be replace by Koreans with H1B visas shipped in from the mothership and working for pennies on the dollar. We're paid on the 15th and last day of the month. You get an email on the 16th or the 1st that your next pay check is your last one. Wrap things up and ship all your capital equipment back. It's followed by a FEDEX envelope with the legally required termination letter and COBRA stuff. We're down to 10 people. I click on emails from the Korean overlords with iffy titles with a bit of trepidation. I have skills and subject matter expertise that would be impossible for the Koreans to easily replace if they want to stay in my business so I "think" I'm OK for a while. My target retirement date is 7 years, 10 months from now. It would be challenging to find a replacement telecommuting job and I'd be facing a really nasty commute to an office building. Like a lot of people, I don't have the net worth or defined benefit pension to retire early. I kind of need to stay on plan for 7+ years or I take an enormous lifestyle hit.
Just don't tell them all you know. Keep as much critical info to yourself as you can. That way if they can you, after a few weeks of severe pain for them, you can come back as a consultant at a higher than current rate of pay...

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,820,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I've never been sorry that I took the high road. I agree with the above posts: shake his/her hand and go into your retirement with a light heart and a smile.
Generally, I would agree with you.

However, some supervisors go out of their way to make an employee's life miserable. I went through that. It can be very traumatic, especially when someone really needs the job, and they know they're getting canned because the boss hates them (no matter the 'official reason').

Those types of people do not deserve respect, not even fake respect, IMO.

I have no regrets.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:27 PM

9,744 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Yeah, countless weekend and some weekdays doing after hours initiatives, sole on call person for close to 2 years, and a near perfect attendance record did not account for much. I only took a sick day recently because I figured I would take advantage of it. Never called in sick in 5 years.

Bosstard can kiss my ass if he wants....but no handshake! Lol
Maybe you can somewhere in that last conversation let your boss know that your being RIF'ed is his loss ( or the company's loss), not yours.

I said that to the director of nurses who conducted my exit interview for the job in which I was downsized many years ago. She had commented that this layoff was strictly a reduction in workforce, and in no way was any reflection on me personally, my abilities or work ethic, so be sure not to take it personally. My response was to tell her "that's for sure, in fact it was the employer's loss not mine. She actually agreed with me, and told me she felt terrible that they let good people go. She wasn't my boss or manager, I'd never even met her before, she was just the person they stuck with our exit interviews and I *almost* felt sorry for her because she obviously hated having to do these. At that point, though, they'd been fooling around with these layoffs for about three months, and expected us to do our usual exemplary jobs as though everything was fine even with these layoffs looming. I was so disgusted with our bosses and the whole place I was ready to go. The docs I worked for were as demanding as ever, and then didn't even say goodbye, good luck or anything when we left. I figured, "same to you, buddies", and other than some contact with some coworkers there, I never looked back.

Anyway, you know about the old saw about living well being the best revenge? Maybe that's yours.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:04 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,466 times
Quote:
Yeah, countless weekend and some weekdays doing after hours initiatives, sole on call person for close to 2 years, and a near perfect attendance record did not account for much. I only took a sick day recently because I figured I would take advantage of it. Never called in sick in 5 years.

Bosstard can kiss my ass if he wants....but no handshake! Lol
The way to play it: simply do not "see" it. Turn around and walk out. Pleasant-but-bland expression. Say "g'bye". Pivot, walk out. Period.

It will make him unhinged. People get very uncomfortable for a long time when you don't follow the script. Make him wake up in a cold sweat for weeks wondering what you've got up your sleeve. Living well is the best revenge, anyway.

Jeepers! Why would this be causing you ANY agita?

Best wishes, Jane

Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM

5,021 posts, read 3,211,192 times
I just quit my hell for a piece of heaven.

yep, wanted to verbally ream them...But heck, I AM LEAVING THAT HELL They are staying! Handed my vest With that asterisk on the back (Hint as to company) to night shift manager. She actually was classy saying "I'll make sure HR gets it tomorrow" and I walked out..

Oh alright...I admit, I had to wait for their meeting (Night crew) to be over and this diet I am on...well, a few people got upset about the air quality.....hee hee hee....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement