U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 PM
 
718 posts, read 604,623 times
Reputation: 1052

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife, now 68, lost her job this past Oct They called it "job elimination", but we really think it was due more to her age. She had worked for this bank for 5 years. She got a descent Severance Package, but had to sign/approve a form stating what she could/couldn't do after leaving.......like, no "bad mouthing" the company. Part of her Package was getting Employment Consulting and online Seminars on finding a new job. She really wanted to work for this bank until she turned 70, so she could get an extra money from SS for Late Retirement, but that obviously wasn't meant to be.

Fortunately, she was already at the age for Medicare. Got that, plus will be getting her SS/FRA starting this month. And, during the month she was off, got another, higher paying job, working for an insurance company. So, she will get that descent salary PLUS her SS with no earnings requirements. Nice!
I remember when you were talking about that, so glad it worked out so well for your wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2016, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
9,011 posts, read 7,770,007 times
Reputation: 12242
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife, now 68, lost her job this past Oct They called it "job elimination", but we really think it was due more to her age. She had worked for this bank for 5 years. She got a descent Severance Package, but had to sign/approve a form stating what she could/couldn't do after leaving.......like, no "bad mouthing" the company. Part of her Package was getting Employment Consulting and online Seminars on finding a new job. She really wanted to work for this bank until she turned 70, so she could get an extra money from SS for Late Retirement, but that obviously wasn't meant to be.

Fortunately, she was already at the age for Medicare. Got that, plus will be getting her SS/FRA starting this month. And, during the month she was off, got another, higher paying job, working for an insurance company. So, she will get that descent salary PLUS her SS with no earnings requirements. Nice!
While happy that she found something it does beg the question why? Meaning if she wanted to work to make life more enjoyable (as in when retired) at a later age than fine. If she economically needed to work than I call poor financial planning on you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 12:51 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,389,649 times
Reputation: 18712
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
So, this Monday, the boss-tard called us into a conference room, individually, for a 1 on 1. Topic was work force reduction aka head chopping or axing. Since our company had split into two entities, the side I was on needed to reduce head count to satisfy the bottom line (it's always about the bottom line).


Anyhow, I was job eliminated as was another guy in our immediate group. I am 63 and he is 64. Of course this seemed like age bias. 1 month short of my 5th anniversary. Company wide reductions.


At 1st I went through all the standard emotions: disbelief, fear of the unknown future, redoubled loathing for my boss and a little relief.


This is probably the best thing that could have happened, in retrospect. I was thinking of bailing out at the end of April anyway and my FA said I had enough funding to do so. I receive 3 lump sum payments as part of the package and I am eligible for unemployment. So, I guess I should just suck it up and realize that my cake has just gotten icing on top.


I had become disenchanted with my job and my micro managing, anal retentive boss. On the flip side, I was a little pride bashed since I was among the casualties and had always had great performance reviews.
So, age and salary most likely came into play. The one guy in my group that was retained is 50 and most likely makes less. So I suppose there is justification there.
The only thing I can tell you is when my DH took a class for his PhD he learned that "age discrimination" is the ONLY lawsuit you can bring where the burden of proof is on the employer vs the employee to prove that they did NOT discriminate against you because of age. If you are a month short of benefits, I would certainly check it out to see if it applies in your state.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 AM
 
761 posts, read 640,088 times
Reputation: 2229
Here is the email I got from Bosstard yesterday:
I will be at the XXXXX office on Friday to collect equipment, etc and for final farewell.

I donít expect you will need to spend the entire day Friday.

I am tempted to respond that he better bring a pretty big box based on the amount of equipment he has to gather up. And oh, by the way numbnutz Bosstard, after you take our laptops and all access away, what the hell are we supposed to do all day anyhow? This beeyastard is completely clueless!!!!!!

As for the final farewell, I am tempted to draw a smiley face on my ass and ask him to kiss that goodbye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Close to an earthquake
890 posts, read 679,057 times
Reputation: 2390
When I read your share about what you're experiencing and those of others I've read in the past, I'm so glad I've been a self-employed person for most of my life. While a client can fire me and some have, I too can fire them and have and when that happens, it's not an all-or-nothing outcome but just a sliver of the total.

Despite all the good advice here and I'm not sure my earlier advice was good, go with your gut and perhaps a giant middle finger goodbye will best match your emotions and thoughts at the moment.

My best to you and may abundant opportunities reveal themselves to you during the next chapter of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 PM
 
1,734 posts, read 1,952,024 times
Reputation: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Here is the email I got from Bosstard yesterday:
I will be at the XXXXX office on Friday to collect equipment, etc and for final farewell.

I donít expect you will need to spend the entire day Friday.

I am tempted to respond that he better bring a pretty big box based on the amount of equipment he has to gather up. And oh, by the way numbnutz Bosstard, after you take our laptops and all access away, what the hell are we supposed to do all day anyhow? This beeyastard is completely clueless!!!!!!

As for the final farewell, I am tempted to draw a smiley face on my ass and ask him to kiss that goodbye!

Why should you stay the whole day? Leave!


What can they do - fire you?


Best to you - Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 04:37 AM
 
761 posts, read 640,088 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Why should you stay the whole day? Leave!


What can they do - fire you?


Best to you - Jane
The bosstard is a sooper dooper gaping rectum. Once all my equipment and badges are turned in, hell, why would I stay. My last exit out the door will be my last exit out the door. No getting back in and I don't want to. I pray that he extends his hand to me because I will just tell him to stick it someplace where the sun don't shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 07:53 AM
 
761 posts, read 640,088 times
Reputation: 2229
Free at last! Free at last! God God Almighty, I'm free at last!


Final few hours on the job went something like this:


I brought all my equipment in to turn in to Bosstard.


I am sitting at my desk waiting for him to come by.


Bosstard: so how's it going?
Me: ok
Bosstard: have you found anything, yet?
Me: (urge to kill or at least put my foot up his a$$) No, I plan to take some time off.
Me: here's all my equipment, do you have a big box to put it in?
Bosstard: No, that's ok, I can just carry it.
Me: (this guy is a total maroon....he has twice this amount to carry when the other WFR guy shows up).
Bosstard: do you have your corporate charge card?
Me: it's in the bag with all of the other crap...(headset, id cards, etc.) and when I turn my door access cards in I am not coming back in again.
Bosstard: so are you working on anything right now?
Me: Nope....(cementing and reinforcing the idea that this dude is just completely clueless)
Bosstard: did you have any monitors to turn in
Me: a curt NO


So as he left my cubie, he stepped into another manager's office and closed the door.
I did an exit stage left, shook one coworker's hand and rode off into the sunset.


Good luck you poor unfortunates that are left behind! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,835,234 times
Reputation: 13083
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Free at last! Free at last! God God Almighty, I'm free at last!


Final few hours on the job went something like this:


I brought all my equipment in to turn in to Bosstard.


I am sitting at my desk waiting for him to come by.


Bosstard: so how's it going?
Me: ok
Bosstard: have you found anything, yet?
Me: (urge to kill or at least put my foot up his a$$) No, I plan to take some time off.
Me: here's all my equipment, do you have a big box to put it in?
Bosstard: No, that's ok, I can just carry it.
Me: (this guy is a total maroon....he has twice this amount to carry when the other WFR guy shows up).
Bosstard: do you have your corporate charge card?
Me: it's in the bag with all of the other crap...(headset, id cards, etc.) and when I turn my door access cards in I am not coming back in again.
Bosstard: so are you working on anything right now?
Me: Nope....(cementing and reinforcing the idea that this dude is just completely clueless)
Bosstard: did you have any monitors to turn in
Me: a curt NO


So as he left my cubie, he stepped into another manager's office and closed the door.
I did an exit stage left, shook one coworker's hand and rode off into the sunset.


Good luck you poor unfortunates that are left behind! Lol
See!?! He is so unworthy of courtesy. He didn't even offer to shake hands or wish you luck.

Enjoy your Friday!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,899 posts, read 1,210,636 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Free at last! Free at last! God God Almighty, I'm free at last!


Final few hours on the job went something like this:


I brought all my equipment in to turn in to Bosstard.


I am sitting at my desk waiting for him to come by.


Bosstard: so how's it going?
Me: ok
Bosstard: have you found anything, yet?
Me: (urge to kill or at least put my foot up his a$$) No, I plan to take some time off.
Me: here's all my equipment, do you have a big box to put it in?
Bosstard: No, that's ok, I can just carry it.
Me: (this guy is a total maroon....he has twice this amount to carry when the other WFR guy shows up).
Bosstard: do you have your corporate charge card?
Me: it's in the bag with all of the other crap...(headset, id cards, etc.) and when I turn my door access cards in I am not coming back in again.
Bosstard: so are you working on anything right now?
Me: Nope....(cementing and reinforcing the idea that this dude is just completely clueless)
Bosstard: did you have any monitors to turn in
Me: a curt NO


So as he left my cubie, he stepped into another manager's office and closed the door.
I did an exit stage left, shook one coworker's hand and rode off into the sunset.


Good luck you poor unfortunates that are left behind! Lol
I hope you can let go of the ill feelings soon, it's THEIR loss, not yours. If you let this bother you from this point on, they win.

Enjoy the next chapter in your life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top