Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

I can always answer "I've done a lot of things," because it's true, although the bulk of those things were RN psychiatric jobs. I certainly don't want to hear about someone's second cousin who took Lithium, etc. etc. Maybe I'll say, "My favorite job I had was copyediting and I'd still like to find some work there." Maybe it'd be a good contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Have some time before retirement, but, I have been in essence a scientist/engineer since I was 5 years old, and will always be one. This is part of why I am not so eager to retire, at least not right now.

ER, a lot of your posts on here reflect that you are a teacher to the core. Frequently you admonish a poster for loose logic, non sequitur, etc. Which is great, really.

"Teacher" or more likely "Professor" and also "Craftsman" are other blades on the Swiss Army knife that is me, but the main blade is "Engineer". Sometimes a blade is closed, but, it's still there...

Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Have some time before retirement, but, I have been in essence a scientist/engineer since I was 5 years old, and will always be one. This is part of why I am not so eager to retire, at least not right now.

ER, a lot of your posts on here reflect that you are a teacher to the core. Frequently you admonish a poster for loose logic, non sequitur, etc. Which is great, really.

"Teacher" or more likely "Professor" and also "Craftsman" are other blades on the Swiss Army knife that is me, but the main blade is "Engineer". Sometimes a blade is closed, but, it's still there...
I really like that apt metaphor about the Swiss Army knife and its main blade and its closed blades. Our identities as human beings are complex and are probably composed of all the significant things we have done, not limited to our job/career. And that job/career identity may or may not be our "main blade" as has been made clear in this thread to date.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Math. From the 1st grade thru graduate school math was my life. I loved sports (football and especially baseball) but math even more. But then around age 22-23 I lost all interest in it. Totally. Burned out I think. But that was ok because I'd joined the Army and found another world. The next year I went to OCS.

You move a lot in the Army, so ten years later Huntsville. I was there 3 years, got into math again big-time, it all came back. That was the start. Afterwards, the Pentagon, Ft Monmouth and Europe (Germany and UK). After retirement I worked for a large contractor doing much the same thing for 12 more years. I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of that life (especially the Army), would do it all over again.

But today, retirement is nice. The past is the past I rarely dwell on it. We live well, are in good health, do whatever whim comes along.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
no.

the goal of retirement was to leave the job behind.

mission accomplished.
^^^ Agree with this.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:20 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I don't feel I was ever defined by my career even when working. I would say the opportunities were more influenced by who I am as a person. Possibly it's because the path was so diverse and afforded a great deal of independence. I have picked up a good bit of knowledge in several areas and prefer it that way.

I don't remember people asking what I use to do. I will comment about having done something if I am in a similar situation, or people will know due to my familiarity with a subject. I appreciate others experience and am accused of being a sponge for whatever I can learn from them if it interests me or if they have fascinating stories. One dimensional people I generally stay away from unless they're experts in their field. I will ask what others have retired from or have done as a means to relate to them as I often can.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 AM

888 posts, read 889,591 times
I have a strong identify with my profession and honestly I'm guessing it's an identify I'll retain once retired. Maybe the way I do so will be like the musician "Formerly Known as Prince".

I've had strong identities as a fun runner and a martial artist and now still identify with those former passions by identifying myself as a "retired runner" and a "retired karateka". I once knew a person who was retired and jokingly identified himself as "self-unemployed".

Old 02-18-2016, 01:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Most human beings have an emptiness inside that they continually try to and need to fill throughout life.

They will fill the emptiness with whatever they can, most filling it with as many positive things as possible, others falling into the trap of filling it with negative things.

Having a professional identity as in a career or skills set or expertise is one way to partially or significantly fill that emptiness.

So holding on to that work identity helps to fill whatever hollowness exists inside. It's a very human trait....to feel some emptiness or hollowness inside.

There is a recent song by singer Tori Kelly called 'Hollow' which talks about one form of feeling hollow relating to love, but also relating to life in general.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:06 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Most human beings have an emptiness inside that they continually try to and need to fill throughout life.

They will fill the emptiness with whatever they can, most filling it with as many positive things as possible, others falling into the trap of filling it with negative things.

Having a professional identity as in a career or skills set or expertise is one way to partially or significantly fill that emptiness.

So holding on to that work identity helps to fill whatever hollowness exists inside. It's a very human trait....to feel some emptiness or hollowness inside.
Yes, it could be argued that traveling, fishing, gardening, grandchildren, sewing, pets, genealogy, golfing, volunteering, birdwatching, or anything one does or identifies with is a means to "fill that emptiness".

It could also be argued that happy people like to create things, participate in activities, enjoy the world around them, connect with family and like-minded people, and share their happiness with others.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
yes, those two things do co-exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement