U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:48 PM

21,855 posts, read 14,356,798 times

Advertisements

The first winter I was retired, I got kind of bored. But I haven't felt that way recently. As others have said, I can't believe it has 9 years for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,924,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, I find this is true, also. I have been quite busy since retiring, but all of it has been with projects that I enjoy, like time in the workshop, putting up small buildings, and tending poultry.

Now, I am "on vacation" in TN (wife's idea) and sometimes find time dragging. I never really cared for vacations, as I have (mostly) always loved what I was doing. But my wife sees it differently!
If you're in the western part, let me know and maybe we can meet for coffee! Yes, I'm serious.

NJ -> RI -> NY -> W TN

Retirement has been fun - learning new stuff all the time - I've held baby goats and baby pigs, learning about animal care and rescue, gotten certified for DART (federal Disaster program), travelled to almost a dozen more countries, planning more travel, and I'm seriously considering taking some college courses in areas I never considered before.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:25 PM

996 posts, read 862,463 times
The thing that tickles me is when someone asks, "What are you doing this weekend?" or "How was your weekend?"

We purposely do very little on the weekends -- why fight the crowds in stores and restaurants? And why not stay home to give the Monday-Friday workers a little more space when they do their errands or fun stuff that HAS to be done on weekends?

I try to explain how it is: when you're retired, every day is Saturday! But people who are still working can only imagine.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:31 AM

16,415 posts, read 5,350,870 times
What amazes me is similar to what others have posted: Time seems to fly by. It doesn't seem like seven years since I stopped working. I also have trouble keeping track of what day of the week it is. But what surprised me most is that I seem to always be busy. I imagined I'd have long, lazy days with not much to do, and that I'd be bored. That hasn't been the case at all. Instead I wonder how I ever found the time to hold a job!

Old 02-14-2016, 05:39 AM

1,469 posts, read 859,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
The thing that tickles me is when someone asks, "What are you doing this weekend?" or "How was your weekend?"

We purposely do very little on the weekends -- why fight the crowds in stores and restaurants? And why not stay home to give the Monday-Friday workers a little more space when they do their errands or fun stuff that HAS to be done on weekends?

I try to explain how it is: when you're retired, every day is Saturday! But people who are still working can only imagine.

When we retired 2 years ago our neighbor said it best....."Being retired is 6 Saturdays & a Sunday every week!!!!"

Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
I've actually begun to dread the weekends.

That's when all the "Workies" flood the stores and the entertainment.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:57 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,432 times
Been retired 18 yrs now. Sometimes I don't even know what day of the week it is or if it's early morning or evening after I wake up from my short nap. When my wife tells me what day of the week and time it is, I just sometimes go back and continue my nap.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:54 AM

628 posts, read 402,804 times
I used to read/hear about old people 'puttering" around, doing things slowly [ I read insignificantly] It all sounded so sad and pathetic. Now I spend a great deal of my time "puttering," and it is the bomb! [ it is surprising what all you do when there is no rush]

Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,738,719 times
I have 4 grandkids that live with us so my perception for anything has not changed a bit..... In fact it is even more hectic now....

Old 02-14-2016, 03:45 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
When we retired 2 years ago our neighbor said it best....."Being retired is 6 Saturdays & a Sunday every week!!!!"
Another saying..every night is Friday night and every day is Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or