U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,612,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've actually begun to dread the weekends.

That's when all the "Workies" flood the stores and the entertainment.
I usually stay home on weekends so my Saturday and Sundays are pretty peaceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 PM

13,905 posts, read 25,364,805 times
Every day I try to take a minute to be grateful for being retired. For me, the time is going fast and it's hard to believe I retired in 2008. I'm busy and I never get caught up. There's always still so much to do. I love the freedom and the gift of self determination.

Back in the day I was always on a strict schedule and loaded down with responsibilities. I was always running and never getting anywhere. Completing one set of duties just got me more duties. Now I am duty free...just like the shop at the airport.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 PM

21,967 posts, read 14,442,747 times
I too like to remember how grateful I am for the gift of retirement. I do take mornings slower and if I get one significant thing done per day, I am happy. So that is a change from when I was working. I have down time after breakfast and after lunch most every day. So, I think I am pretty much in the same boat as many of you. I do keep social engagements, though, and I feel as if they are burdens. As I have gotten older I have realized that social activity makes me mentally tired. It is worse for me than when I was younger. So, extra social stuff feels burdensome; but I am lucky to have social stuff so I make myself participate. Being in the house all the time is boring.

We have to find balance in our lives after retirement, as we tried to do when we were working. It is easier when we retire, that's for sure.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,529,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
When we retired 2 years ago our neighbor said it best....."Being retired is 6 Saturdays & a Sunday every week!!!!"
But the down-side is, you never get a day off!

Old 02-14-2016, 05:47 PM

8,416 posts, read 9,168,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My time seems to fly since retirement. We have a lot to do, and sometimes things on the calendar sneak up before we realize it. Can't believe I've been retired 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
What amazes me is similar to what others have posted: Time seems to fly by. It doesn't seem like seven years since I stopped working. I also have trouble keeping track of what day of the week it is. But what surprised me most is that I seem to always be busy. I imagined I'd have long, lazy days with not much to do, and that I'd be bored. That hasn't been the case at all. Instead I wonder how I ever found the time to hold a job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Every day I try to take a minute to be grateful for being retired. For me, the time is going fast and it's hard to believe I retired in 2008. I'm busy and I never get caught up. There's always still so much to do. I love the freedom and the gift of self determination.

Back in the day I was always on a strict schedule and loaded down with responsibilities. I was always running and never getting anywhere. Completing one set of duties just got me more duties. Now I am duty free...just like the shop at the airport.
Hmm...

I see a pattern here. I really want to preserve my slower perception of time. I have enough to do and I have always been good doing hobbies, doing outdoorsy stuff, socializing and taking time to relax. I am now cautious about filling up my time with work-like activities having seen the above posts. Sounds too much like my life six months ago. I have resolved to not become too busy. I've always been a "smell the roses " kinda of guy. Even when I mountain bike, it has always been about enjoying the scenery and not trying to best my personal limits.

Thanks for the insights.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:24 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,342,281 times
I look forward to the weekday when going to the movies, shopping etc, isn't as crowded. I hate going to places that are super crowded on the weekend when I know I have all day every day to go here and avoid the crowds.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopsonite View Post
the thing that tickles me is when someone asks, "what are you doing this weekend?" or "how was your weekend?"

we purposely do very little on the weekends -- why fight the crowds in stores and restaurants? And why not stay home to give the monday-friday workers a little more space when they do their errands or fun stuff that has to be done on weekends?

I try to explain how it is: When you're retired, every day is saturday! But people who are still working can only imagine.

exactly!!!!!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:27 PM

On occasion I wonder why I'm up and about so darn early at the crack of dawn then I realize it is noon.....haha!!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:13 PM

13,905 posts, read 25,364,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Hmm...

I see a pattern here. I really want to preserve my slower perception of time. I have enough to do and I have always been good doing hobbies, doing outdoorsy stuff, socializing and taking time to relax. I am now cautious about filling up my time with work-like activities having seen the above posts. Sounds too much like my life six months ago. I have resolved to not become too busy. I've always been a "smell the roses " kinda of guy. Even when I mountain bike, it has always been about enjoying the scenery and not trying to best my personal limits.

Thanks for the insights.
I agree! But in my case, it's stuff I want to do!

Old 02-15-2016, 12:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 5,369,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Hmm...

It's not as if I am trying to cram every day with activities. It's just the opposite. I am a real homebody. It's just that the business of everyday living such as housework, shopping, meal preparation, paperwork, etc. seems to have expanded to fill all the available hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or