Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,701,021 times

Advertisements

I cook 3 meals a day now, well my husband does breakfast, but it's a lot of work for the clean up, and that's why we retire. We don't eat out much because my husband doesn't like the food of some of the restaurants around here, he prefers my cooking. A few years ago, we ate out practically all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:27 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,685,814 times
On any given day, I have a hard time remembering, or caring about, what day of the week or month it is, unless we are travelling or I have a work engagement. It is a life without deadlines, except for paying bills on time.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:56 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,023,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I cook 3 meals a day now, well my husband does breakfast, but it's a lot of work for the clean up, and that's why we retire. We don't eat out much because my husband doesn't like the food of some of the restaurants around here, he prefers my cooking. A few years ago, we ate out practically all the time.
You make an interesting point. We started eating out more right before retirement, and we have kept it up, even though finding good food to eat at restaurants is always dicey. I actually cook simpler, and fewer times than I did 15 years ago.

But on Saturday and Sunday nights, I almost never cook. We "graze" on leftovers or snacky things. I don't keep many chips or any cookies and stuff like that. I do keep nuts, fruit and cheese around. Sometimes DH requests a cheese sandwich, and I am happy to do that for him. Both of us eat less, and we eat more simply than we did before retirement.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:25 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,331,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Not really the best time for vacation in TN. So many of our fun activities are outdoor activities best enjoyed in the warm time of year.
I suspect the OP is spending lots of time outside in knee deep powder.

He mentioned something about a season pass at a ski outfit.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:35 AM

42 posts, read 58,114 times
4+ months and counting, cant believe its that time in my life....can't wait!

Old 02-21-2016, 05:34 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,996,179 times
Here is a short, fun, well-written article by a retiree on this very subject.

Maine Observer: On the nature of time and retirement - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 02-22-2016, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 10,323 times
At the beginning I found that time dragged a bit as I didn't have much structure to my days. But now that I've established a routine and filled up my time with new hobbies!

Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,109,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Been retired for two months. The most interesting thing I have noticed is how my perception of time has changed. The passing of Time has slowed way down. It's only February 13?!? Seems like the weeks just creep by and that is a good thing. I feel more in the moment. No more wishing the days away (can't wait for 5PM) No more wishing the weeks away (is it Friday yet)

I like it!
No one give a cr@p about what I think about anything. Took awhile to get used to that. Always enjoy former college professors and doctors who still think anyone cares about their pontificating.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:14 PM

88,271 posts, read 84,222,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Been retired for two months. The most interesting thing I have noticed is how my perception of time has changed. The passing of Time has slowed way down. It's only February 13?!? Seems like the weeks just creep by and that is a good thing. I feel more in the moment. No more wishing the days away (can't wait for 5PM) No more wishing the weeks away (is it Friday yet)

I like it!
I'm only three weeks in, but now that you mention it, I think you're right.

The first two weeks I kept feeling surprised that school buses were coming down my street on a Saturday lol.

Something I don't like is finding myself sleeping too late or staying up too late. I love the dawn, and I hate the middle of the night. My first day, I let the alarm go off at the regular 5:15 just to be able to shut it off and go back to sleep. Then I cancelled it. I wanted to get up at 6 or 6:30, but found myself sleeping naturally until 7 or 7:30. Now this week Daylight Savings Time has begun, and some days I slept till 8 or even 8:30. I feel as if half the day is gone! And then a couple of days this week I was up until 1 a.m. I don't want to become that kind of person, so I am thinking I will have to start setting an alarm again to get myself back on track.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-19-2016 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 02:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,023,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm only three weeks in, but now that you mention it, I think you're right.

The first two weeks I kept feeling surprised that school buses were coming down my street on a Saturday lol.

Something I don't like is finding myself sleeping too late or staying up too late. I love the dawn, and I hate the middle of the night. My first day, I let the alarm go off at the regular 5:15 just to be able to shut it off and go back to sleep. Then I cancelled it. I wanted to get up at 6 or 6:30, but found myself sleeping naturally until 7 or 7:30. Now this week Daylight Savings Time has begun, and some days I slept till 8 or even 8:30. I feel as if half the day is gone! And then a couple of days this week I was up until 1 a.m. I don't want to become that kind of person, so I am thinking I will have to start setting an alarm again to get myself back on track.
I wanted to be on something of schedule when we retired, so when we were both retired I arbitrarily set 7 am as our wake up time. After almost 10 years, I am finding that I don't adhere to it as often. Sometimes I get up earlier, and sometimes allow myself more sleep. I don't know if our bodies require more sleep, or if I've become lazier.

We've both been fighting respiratory infections, and I've noticed that we both want more nighttime sleep. This might be temporary for us--or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement