U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 AM

8,429 posts, read 9,183,797 times

Advertisements

Been retired for two months. The most interesting thing I have noticed is how my perception of time has changed. The passing of Time has slowed way down. It's only February 13?!? Seems like the weeks just creep by and that is a good thing. I feel more in the moment. No more wishing the days away (can't wait for 5PM) No more wishing the weeks away (is it Friday yet)

I like it!

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-13-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:39 AM

14,446 posts, read 7,967,079 times
Wow I find the opposite is true for me. The days fly by because of all the fun we've been having. The hours at work dragged and seemed endless. Fun times are over way faster then they should be. I can't believe it's been nearly 6 months since my last day of work. It seems like it was just a few weeks ago. I wish time would slow down a little.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,997,623 times
I quickly forgot the day of the week.

So I bought a clock that shows the day and month as well as the time.

My wife added a card with the year written on it.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:12 PM

5,866 posts, read 4,885,739 times
My time seems to fly since retirement. We have a lot to do, and sometimes things on the calendar sneak up before we realize it. Can't believe I've been retired 5 years.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:26 PM

6,352 posts, read 4,782,330 times
This thread seems to be about "time" in retirement. I was warned in advance that I would be busy in retirement. I quickly learned that was an understatement. I have no where near enough time or energy to do everything I want...in general or for a specific day.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:30 PM

8,429 posts, read 9,183,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This thread seems to be about "time" in retirement. I was warned in advance that I would be busy in retirement. I quickly learned that was an understatement. I have no where near enough time or energy to do everything I want...in general or for a specific day.
I've been busy enough, but my perception of time has changed. The weeks "last longer" in my head. Like I mentioned, I enjoy the change in perception. I savor each day.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:54 PM

7,125 posts, read 8,184,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I've been busy enough, but my perception of time has changed. The weeks "last longer" in my head. Like I mentioned, I enjoy the change in perception. I savor each day.
Yes, I find this is true, also. I have been quite busy since retiring, but all of it has been with projects that I enjoy, like time in the workshop, putting up small buildings, and tending poultry.

Now, I am "on vacation" in TN (wife's idea) and sometimes find time dragging. I never really cared for vacations, as I have (mostly) always loved what I was doing. But my wife sees it differently!

Old 02-13-2016, 03:24 PM

6,372 posts, read 3,612,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Been retired for two months. The most interesting thing I have noticed is how my perception of time has changed. The passing of Time has slowed way down. It's only February 13?!? Seems like the weeks just creep by and that is a good thing. I feel more in the moment. No more wishing the days away (can't wait for 5PM) No more wishing the weeks away (is it Friday yet)

I like it!
I've noticed that also. But for me it works both ways. Time has become very elastic. I'm not sure why that is but suspect it has something to do with the freedom all the choices available give me.

As Vonnegut wrote, "I've come unstuck in time."

Old 02-13-2016, 04:15 PM

13,439 posts, read 6,428,145 times
It's nice and slow sometimes, but I still haven't got things I'm supposed to get done. How on earth would I be able to finish them when I was working?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:38 PM

5,866 posts, read 4,885,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, I find this is true, also. I have been quite busy since retiring, but all of it has been with projects that I enjoy, like time in the workshop, putting up small buildings, and tending poultry.

Now, I am "on vacation" in TN (wife's idea) and sometimes find time dragging. I never really cared for vacations, as I have (mostly) always loved what I was doing. But my wife sees it differently!
Not really the best time for vacation in TN. So many of our fun activities are outdoor activities best enjoyed in the warm time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or