Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If she is truly low income, she can live very well as long as she owns no property. Medicaid will pay her Medicare premiums and give her a free cell phone. No copays and everything is free. Being on Medicaid opens up the food banks for free food and she can apply for SNAP(food stamps). Then she can sign up for low income senior housing. Some are fixed rate but many charge 30% of your income. All bills paid. It's not as gruesome as you think!
I dont know the details but this might be reasonable at some stage. Until then she should make the most out of her job and find a way to save a little if working...at least an emergency fund. cutting expenses or sharing expenses with a live-in might help if she can handle a roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 09:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Folks paid on the 3rd are "Beneficiaries receiving benefits prior to May 1997 or
receiving both Social Security benefits and SSI payment"

The SSA calendar is at https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf
Not true, my husband receives his SS on the 3rd Wed, next week in fact, he is in neither of the two categories.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
She's old enough to make her own decisions.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
How's her health?? What is family longevity history? Depending on those answers, she could be retired and in real poverty for very long while.

Also, there's no way she should be paying for medical insurance until she reaches 65. If her job pays health insurance, she can't afford to quit.

Imo, she should work as long as she can and defer SS until age 70-1/2, if at all possible. Unless she absolutely hates her job and it is detrimental to her health, working will keep her healthier and younger longer. If she isn't even 62 yet, she has a long way to go. I worked until age 67-1/2 without a problem - and could have worked a few more years easily but for the recession and job elimination in 2009.

By waiting until age 70-1/2, her SS benefit will be over 60% higher than what she'd collect at age 62. Just between FRA - which in her case is 66 - and 70-1/2 - SS increases 32%. That is huge. Unless her health precludes working, no way should she begin benefits at age 62.

As others have said, if income is still too low at 70-1/2, she goes on Medicare and Medicaid. Medicaid will pay the Medicare Part B premium which will not be insignificant at that time - probably over $150/mo. Then, there are food stamps, housing assistance, etc. Housing assistance has wait lists, however, so she should plan accordingly as the time approaches.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:18 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Where does Medicaid provide a free cell phone?
The free cell phone program, Lifeline, is provided through private telecom companies but is a Federal program funded by fees paid by telecoms. The phones are basic, the call times are limited but texting is usually unlimited. People often call these "ObamaPhones," but the program was started during the administration of President George W. Bush.

People can apply for the phones through the companies that participate; you put your zipcode in a search engine to see if they cover your area. (Google "free cell phones.") If you have already proven you are qualified for one or more of the following aid programs, then you are qualified for the Lifeline program. Its purpose is to help people with financial need apply for jobs, keep in touch with family, supervise their children, etc. Note, these are cell phones, not landlines.

• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
  • Medicaid
  • National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
There are also income limits that qualify some people who are not on any of the above programs, The income limits vary by state. A list can be found here:

Who Qualifies for a free government cell phone?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Imo, she should work as long as she can and defer SS until age 70-1/2, if at all possible.
Ariadne22,

I have always thought 70 is the latest age that one should defer SS and 70 1/2 is when one has to start taking RMD.

If there is no additional benefit from 70 to 70 1/2, there is no reason to further delay SS after 70.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know if there's a "better" answer. She will get more money if she waits until FRA and doesn't take her SS at age 62. It may not be much more but it wil be more. When you're on a low income, even a few dollars count.
It will be considerably more.

Retiring at 62 would cost the sister 25% of her SS benefit at FRA. Retiring at 70 would add about 30% to it. A FRA benefit of $1000 would be reduced to $750 if taken at 62 and increased to about $1300 if not taken until 70. That's about $550/month difference. For a person with no other income/assets that's significant money! That she also has health insurance at work and enjoys her job are other pluses.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:51 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Here's my situation:

I would have to pay $400-$650 just for rent for an apartment. Then the utilities, then gas, insurance (Car&renters) then food then cable, then internet....

Instead, I live out of my van.

No rent
Showers/wifi/workout $37 a month (I'd do Planet Fitness but they are across town)
Gas $160 a month
food $75-125
Vehicle Insurance $34 a month ($206 every 6 months)
Mailbox $75 a year ($6 a month)
Some other expenses, but can crunch $450 easy.

Changing job to $1,450 a month....So if careful, save $800 a month?

Thing is, if I work till 62, I'll get $759 a month. I can easily survive at that rate as I have shown....
I know folks getting $700-$800 a month. None of them live very well. Or maybe you're just more creative than they are.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:24 AM

89 posts, read 268,068 times
Here's an interesting point about the day of the month that regular Social Security benefits are paid: It used to be at the beginning of the month for everyone; then they started paying it on the first, second, third, or fourth Wednesday depending on birth date. Not only that, but I think they also pushed everyone's first payment back a month. This means the government is saving itself one or two payments for everyone getting Social Security. For example, my husband started getting his benefits at 62. He turned 62 on February 24, but he didn't get his first check until April 27. I believe that under the old system, he would have gotten his first check at the beginning of March, but instead he had to wait until the end of April (almost two full months).

Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 AM

89 posts, read 268,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d

Retiring at 62 would cost the sister 25% of her SS benefit at FRA.
Not only that, but the sister would also be working part time. If she earns over about $16,000 per year and is collecting Social Security before FRA, she will lose $1.00 in Social Security benefits for every $2.00 she earns above that $16,000 threshold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement