U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,046,618 times

Advertisements

Tax forms are available online from the Infernal Revenue Service. If you have too small an income to owe taxes, they tell you NOT to file. You are wasting their time if you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 PM

13,412 posts, read 6,404,610 times
Trust costs money, my sister wants a trust and I told her it cost me $5000 a few years ago, maybe 5 years ago. Will is cheaper.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,350,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Set it up as a trust for tax advantages and avoid to probate.
What "tax advantages" are there when the estate is too small to be taxed? Moreover, what's the big deal with probate? There's nothing much in the OP's father's estate except a house and maybe some funds. All adult children who apparently get along well enough even though living some distance apart. No current wife or second family in the picture. No girl friend in the picture, either. I've been through 2 "probates", one as executrix, and they're no big deal. The OP's father is just an elderly man in poor health who needs a will to protect his children from unnecessary expense and legal trouble when he passes, not an expensive legal document to "protect" him from non-existent threats.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:59 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,081,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What "tax advantages" are there when the estate is too small to be taxed? Moreover, what's the big deal with probate? There's nothing much in the OP's father's estate except a house and maybe some funds. All adult children who apparently get along well enough even though living some distance apart. No current wife or second family in the picture. No girl friend in the picture, either. I've been through 2 "probates", one as executrix, and they're no big deal. The OP's father is just an elderly man in poor health who needs a will to protect his children from unnecessary expense and legal trouble when he passes, not an expensive legal document to "protect" him from non-existent threats.

Good points. Trusts are more suited if estate is rather large.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:12 AM

72,007 posts, read 72,043,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Probate can be expensive in many states and take months. If it is a house the heirs want to sell they may have to support the house for months before having title to first sell.

The other thing is probate courts can be very picky. A staple removed and restapled can have all kinds of grief crop up.

Missing verbage or unclear statements can all come up in probate court.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,350,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Probate can be expensive in many states and take months. If it is a house the heirs want to sell they may have to support the house for months before having title to first sell.

The other thing is probate courts can be very picky. A staple removed and restapled can have all kinds of grief crop up.

Missing verbage or unclear statements can all come up in probate court.
I think these issues would come up if the will is likely to be contested, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Otherwise, it's just a formality. In New York, creditors have 9 months to file claims, so an estate can't be settled sooner than that. If the lawyer, executor(s), and heirs agree to sell property from the estate that can be done, although the proceeds usually can't be disbursed until the estate is settled. The monies can be used to pay estate bills, however.

Again, this is a small estate without complicating circumstances. Spending thousands of dollars for a trust makes no sense in this case. In other situations, that could be different, but one size doesn't fit all. The old gent just needs a will and a POA and a health care proxy to enable his son who lives near him to take care of his business and make decisions if needed.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:08 PM

22,027 posts, read 14,476,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
It goes to the Estate, and based on his will, and other documents, that's how it will be divided up.

Who is the executor of the Will?

I think The exclusion is ~5M before taxes(Federal) need to be paid.
Instead of posting this question here, see a FLA attorney, esp about the tax issue, which I feel could be important. It is true that is you make very little money in a year, you don't have to file. But I don't know the details. Do see an attorney with your sibs and your dad. If he hasn't made a will, he needs to do so. Also, get POA straightened out, and he should do a health care directive.

He can dot these things if he is of sound mind. Later, when he isn't of sound mine it is too late. Get cracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement