U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:33 PM

4,686 posts, read 3,258,145 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^ Thank you. I need to remember that.

But I am finding there is no "free" help. They all want some kind of payment. After all, they are a business. I can accept that. Why others want to believe that is not true, I don't know what to tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 01:47 PM

16,370 posts, read 10,361,162 times
Never had 1st hand experience but I would think a credit counseling company might lend credence to your claim of wanting to pay back, not just empty words.

Good luck.

wonder if you'd get more help on the economics forum. Debt isn't just for the retired.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/economics/

Old 02-15-2016, 01:53 PM

^^^^^^^^ Thank you, more helpful info. It all helps.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Talk about coincidences; my local evening news TV station had several debt counselors available for phone calls. I spoke with one of them and plan to make an appointment with him. I believe he is the only one available for a face to face appointment.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,705,154 times
Smile Something you can do yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Anyone who has read my posts knows I've got a problem with credit card debt (along with a couple of loans).

I've been wanting to find a way of getting some assistance with paying it. No, I do not mean have the debt magically disappear. I'm more interested in paying my bills since I am the one who created them. I am not interested in comments re going bankrupt. Also, since the interest rates on my two loans are low, I will not be getting help with them, which is fine with me. I know in four years they will be paid off.

I have talked with someone from American Consumer Credit Counseling and find their suggestions and written information to be very interesting. I will have a followup call on Monday to make a decision. Their help would consist of greatly reducing the interest I am paying on these credit cards.

The woman I spoke with agreed that I am living on a pretty tight budget and going with a reduction in interest rates would free up some extra cash so I can breathe a little easier.

Have any of you had to do this type of thing? And if you have, were you happy with the result?

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thank you.
Even though I'm a mortgage broker, I have a credit background.

Please call your credit cards and ask for your interest rate to be reduced. That's what the counseling services try first anyway. It also hurts your credit and if you ever want to buy something, lender look at debt counseling like financial mismanagement and it hits like a bankruptcy would. FYI.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 AM

662 posts, read 480,635 times
What about this:

Debt Counseling Services | GreenPath Debt Solutions

They *say* it's free.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Bette: I have talked to my credit card holders and I have not been able to have the interest rate reduced.

At my age (close to 74) and not planning a big purchase (I am a renter and my car is a 2009 Corolla with no plans of replacing any time soon), I am not overly concerned about what other lenders will think.

crusinsusan: Thank you for that information. I did actually talk to a credit counselor yesterday. Our local TV news station had a few counselors to talk on phone regarding how they can help those of us who have debt. I liked him, he has office close by and I can have a face to face meeting with him, and plan to make an appointment.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:58 PM

662 posts, read 480,635 times
Excellent. Hope it works out for you.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:31 PM

Just discovered my interest rate on the two credit cards I'm trying to resolve is 16.24%.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 AM

16,370 posts, read 10,361,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Just discovered my interest rate on the two credit cards I'm trying to resolve is 16.24%.
yikes!

I normally don't recommend playing the credit card game but if/when you get one of those credit cards offers to roll over a current balance to a new card at a lower rate, you might take it. Read the fine print of course but even if the special rate only lasts a year, that's a year of lower interest paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or