Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has read my posts knows I've got a problem with credit card debt (along with a couple of loans).

I've been wanting to find a way of getting some assistance with paying it. No, I do not mean have the debt magically disappear. I'm more interested in paying my bills since I am the one who created them. I am not interested in comments re going bankrupt. Also, since the interest rates on my two loans are low, I will not be getting help with them, which is fine with me. I know in four years they will be paid off.

I have talked with someone from American Consumer Credit Counseling and find their suggestions and written information to be very interesting. I will have a followup call on Monday to make a decision. Their help would consist of greatly reducing the interest I am paying on these credit cards.

The woman I spoke with agreed that I am living on a pretty tight budget and going with a reduction in interest rates would free up some extra cash so I can breathe a little easier.

Have any of you had to do this type of thing? And if you have, were you happy with the result?

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
I haven't, but have you looked here: https://www.nfcc.org/

I went to their "About" drop down, then the FAQ, and the 5th question is about the cost, wherein the answer is:

"It varies depending on the support for each member and state laws, but the majority of these services are provided at no or low cost to clients."

I recall reading one of your other posts, in which you mentioned the $50 a month fee, and I felt I agreed with you concerning the cost (seemed counterproductive).

Anyway, hope that helps. They *seem* legit and "trustable". But I've no experience. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I haven't, but have you looked here: https://www.nfcc.org/

I went to their "About" drop down, then the FAQ, and the 5th question is about the cost, wherein the answer is:

"It varies depending on the support for each member and state laws, but the majority of these services are provided at no or low cost to clients."

I recall reading one of your other posts, in which you mentioned the $50 a month fee, and I felt I agreed with you concerning the cost (seemed counterproductive).

Anyway, hope that helps. They *seem* legit and "trustable". But I've no experience. Good luck.

I have looked at that site, nfcc.org/.

When I first read what different groups have to offer, they all sound pretty "free" or "cheap." However, that is not necessarily true. Once you talk to someone and give the details, things change. I don't know what it is that makes it that way. But she is writing me down as hardship case which really lowers the interest rate.

I will talk more with her tomorrow and I do need to review the info she sent me on the internet.

Thank you for your suggestion, I do appreciate it.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
You might write to the cc co and ask then who they work with for consumers that have difficulty paying their bill but want to.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:13 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
At least 30 years ago I used Consumer Credit Counseling which was part of The United Way. I think it cost me something like $8 a month for postage/fees. They are now called Consolidated Credit Counseling and are still affiliated with United Way.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 PM

^^^^^^ Maggie2101, thank you for that info. I will be looking them up first thing in the a.m.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 PM

rjm1cc: I have talked with them (the credit union) and they have not offered anything.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Working with a credit counseling organization to get a hardship interest rate reduction sounds like a good idea. My sister recently did the same thing but at the last minute was able to handle her debt due to insurance payments and other means

Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Working with a credit counseling organization to get a hardship interest rate reduction sounds like a good idea. My sister recently did the same thing but at the last minute was able to handle her debt due to insurance payments and other means
Thank you for that information. I am able to make payments now as well but it leaves very little if any to cover any type of emergency that might come up. Kind of like walking on a tightrope.

The one thing I am sure of is that I am definitely not alone. Many people are in same boat as me.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Being able to make the payments is only one issue. If you have credit card debt the interest is horrible and a credit card counseling service can help. You should be able to pay off your debts faster and/or have more money left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement