U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Yeah that floored me. $3k?? My cousin is an elderly woman who rarely drives and I am pretty sure she isn't abusive to her car. Makes me wonder about the shop she went to for repair....
I will admit that I did see a C$2,400 brake repair on a Ford F-150 truck - a salesman in Alberta who neglected his truck until his brakes completely failed ... all the rotors were shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd keep a car. Maybe not a VW, but a car for sure. I'd probably sell the VW now while it's in good shape with new tires to get a good price, then buy a used Toyota which will last you many more years for less upkeep.

But, what I can't work out is where all your money is going. I get $890/month SSI and my rent is also 30% of my income, and after paying renters insurance, car insurance, Amazon prime, groceries, gas, etc., I have $300 disposable income. Right now I'm paying that much per month to pay down credit card debt, which I used to buy my latest used vehicle and do a bunch of repairs on it.

But, if you've got $1500 after paying your medical premium, and your rent is $418 which includes your utilities, that leaves $1082. If your insurance is $100 (my car and renters total $75), you spend $300 on groceries (much more than I do), $100 on gas (not likely), you're still at $582 to spend. So, where is your money going? You should have plenty of money for car repairs, is my point.

If you can't have savings, do like I do. Use a credit card to pay for something, then pay it off each month. I can only have assets of $2,000. But, I can rack up credit card debt and pay it off in big chunks every month. That's how I get around the $2,000 assets rule. Not sure if that's your worry, but I think you need to figure out where your money is going. I bet you could work out a better budget.
Couldn't rep you again. I agree on all you say. Living in the country is not compatible with not having a car. It doesn't compute, and relying on others is unfair to others unless a highly beneficial trade can be created.

To keep a car on a limited budget, something in spending has to go. Gas is low now, but it's reportedly going to be on the rise. Brake pads alone are pricey, and please catch them in time or you ruin the rotors and then you're in for a truly serious bill.

A VW is not the best of cars for repair and possibly for longevity. I echo your advice to sell the VW and get a good used Toyota Corolla for maybe 5 grand. Put the profit into a car-only savings acct.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:19 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times
This is a bit off topic but I felt a need to slip this in. Reading through these posts I notice some are recommending using credit cards.

Well I got a shock yesterday when I called my credit card company to see if I could get interest (I thought it was 14.99) lowered. Surprise, it is no longer 14.99, it is now 16.24.

I did get it down to 13.99 but only for 6 months at which time it will go back up (who knows how high it might be then).

And yes, there are offers of 0% interest for 12 to 15 months. But eventually that ends, too.

How does a senior on fixed income ever pay off a large credit card debt with that kind of interest? Good grief.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
A VW is not the best of cars for repair and possibly for longevity. I echo your advice to sell the VW and get a good used Toyota Corolla for maybe 5 grand. Put the profit into a car-only savings acct.

I just want to also put in a good word for a used Toyota Corolla. Although I bought my used 2007 Corolla when it was 1-1/2 years old, it's been a heck of a good reliable car. I get the usual maintenance required and at 115,000 miles it gives me no problems at all.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I just want to also put in a good word for a used Toyota Corolla. Although I bought my used 2007 Corolla when it was 1-1/2 years old, it's been a heck of a good reliable car. I get the usual maintenance required and at 115,000 miles it gives me no problems at all.
I bought my 2009 Corolla new. Seldom go to dealer for anything. They do tend to overcharge.

Independents do a fine job for less money. I do use pure synthetic oil in it, which costs more, but I think is worth it.

I hope to drive mine for many more years/miles. There are approximately 61,000 miles on it now.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:57 AM

8,981 posts, read 7,753,935 times
OP

As I read it, you own the car so all you have is operating expenses (insurance, registration, fuel, etc.). You are worrying about repair expenses before you have even incurred them so they are an unknown. Even if you got $10K for it that would be like $200 per month for say 4 years. Is $200 a month that needed?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 AM

371 posts, read 397,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
OP

As I read it, you own the car so all you have is operating expenses (insurance, registration, fuel, etc.). You are worrying about repair expenses before you have even incurred them so they are an unknown. Even if you got $10K for it that would be like $200 per month for say 4 years. Is $200 a month that needed?
Yeah I have decided to keep the car and hope for the best. It still has about a year of warranty so major repairs are not a concern at this point. The problem in this part of he country is rust. Used Toyotas, Hondas and Subarus are great cars but at the price point I am looking at, many will have major rust or very high mileage. I can't see selling a relatively low-mileage vehicle with no known problems, new tires, new battery and a CPO warranty for an older Japanese car with higher mileage and no warranty. I never really was thinking about swapping cars, as that still leaves me with no savings, but actually was considering doing without a car period. I decided no to that, while I am living here.

That said, I will take the bus more and drive less, if nothing else but to save on mileage and fuel. Now that the major expense of moving is over, I think I can start saving a bit every month. And my car is a wagon, so if need be, I could always sleep in it :-))

Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,851,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I will admit that I did see a C$2,400 brake repair on a Ford F-150 truck - a salesman in Alberta who neglected his truck until his brakes completely failed ... all the rotors were shot.

For that brake repair you are not just replacing pads and rotors. You are also replacing the calipers too. Even the most expensive pads and rotors will be less than 800 for a complete set front and rear. Add in labor and you are talking at most 1200. I still do my own brakes. I learned to do them about 20 years ago.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:47 AM

13,932 posts, read 7,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I live in subsidized senior housing in Vermont, out in the country somewhat. The nearest grocery is 10 miles away, and the medical services are about 15 miles away. The only public transportation is a bus once a day to Burlington that comes early in the AM and returns after 5:00 PM.
Is that 15 miles to the UVM Medical Center/Fletcher-Allen? Taking a quick glance at bus routes for Chittenden County, that sounds somewhere like Jeffersonville/Underhill. If you were a bit closer, I'd suggest looking Uber since you have all those college students who'd like to earn some beer money. Driving out 15 miles to get you is going to be costly. If your car dies, Uber is certainly an option for you but it's tough to exist in rural Vermont without a car.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 AM

7,266 posts, read 4,150,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
'The cost factor is never a consideration'?

Perhaps you need to re-read the original post. In this case, cost IS a consideration.

I will always have at least one vehicle. If something has to go, it won't be the car. I can always drive to a soup kitchen or a food bank if I can't afford food. If I have enough money for food but no way to get to the store I still have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or