U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:00 PM

9,213 posts, read 9,286,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Older Adult Drivers | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

The higher risks are at the younger and older ends of the driving spectrum, which is misleadingly presented in the OP's news story. That matches the research that I've seen (as stated in the source above). This isn't to say there aren't those older drivers out there who are much safer drivers than young and middle aged drivers, but it indicates an overall trendline/tendency over a large population on a per mile basis.

Several biases dubiously compound this problem.

First, most people (whether they're young, elderly or in between) sees themselves as excellent, well above average drivers, when in reality, there are plenty of below average, poor drivers. People think they're better drivers than they are because in our culture (especially in places where just about everybody drives and practical mass transit is lacking), driving is tied to independence and competence and no one likes to think they lack either.

Also, politicians/legislators who have the authority to pass reasonable rules to protect public safety are swayed by voting habits of older voters, who vote more faithfully than younger voters, and obviously by 16-17 year olds who may drive, but can't vote. And they know that if they dare pass legislation that affects older drivers, their feet are going to be held to the fire much more aggressively than if they pass laws that make licensing more complex and cumbersome for young people (which they have not been bashful about doing to younger drivers). It's easy to pass iron fisted legislation that doesn't affect people in someone's "circle".

And quite frankly, the average politician is much older than the average age of the public at large, quite often by a few decades. So not only do they have the bias that most people have (thinking, I am an "excellent" driver that's much better than most people.), they are less likely to propose or adopt legislation that's going to make driving more difficult for themselves or people that they see as their peers.

Caitlyn (the person trying to get the more restrictive legislation passed) has an uphill battle indeed.

Perhaps, there is something to this. However, I think the real reason there are not more substantial restrictions on licensing for older and younger drivers is pure practicality. If older drivers were required to retest every year, the DMV would be overwhelmed. As it is, it barely manages to function in my state. Employees would have to be hired to conduct driving tests. Other employees would have to be hired to issue the new licenses. There would also be the issue of what drivers who fail the test would do. How will they get to work or to the the grocery store or wherever? More importantly, how do you really enforce these restrictions? What if these people simply choose to drive anyway? Are you going to lock them all in jail? How many police officers would we need to hire to enforce tougher laws?

Licensing laws reflect a balance that society chooses to strike between the value of increased safety and the inconvenience imposed on a group of people who are risky drivers.

In my observation, society has made a choice to assign less of a value to public safety and more of a value to not inconveniencing certain groups. That choice has consequences many do not contemplate. It undoubtedly results in at least a few more preventable fatalities every year. We, in effect, put a price on life and limb.

Given the decisions society has made in this area, I would suggest that the rest of us need to be all the more careful when we drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 05:26 PM

5,238 posts, read 3,644,276 times
Another example of an unsafe driver who should be retested for a drivers license.

Chief Catches Woman Driving on 3 Tires, With Sparks Flying - ABC News

Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Another example of an unsafe driver who should be retested for a drivers license.

Chief Catches Woman Driving on 3 Tires, With Sparks Flying - ABC News
Nope. No retesting. She's 20 years old - her license should be revoked. Driving while intoxicated is treated more harshly than driving while senile.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:19 AM

5,238 posts, read 3,644,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Nope. No retesting. She's 20 years old - her license should be revoked. Driving while intoxicated is treated more harshly than driving while senile.
Considering the title of this thread,"Seniors Are Dangerous Drivers?", is my point. I agree with your idea.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Posting about some young person who was idiotic and grossly negligent does not constitute a rebuttal to the idea that the mental and physical decline of many senior drivers is a problem. One case proves nothing.

After all, no one is claiming that ONLY senior drivers cause problems, accidents, injuries, and deaths.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 PM

21,542 posts, read 44,060,337 times
We had a case here two days ago of an 80-y/o driver killing a pedestrian in a busy shopping area. Last year, a 75-y/o driver crossed a median strip and killed a mother and two kids traveling in the opposite direction. There have been other similar reports over the past few years.

Last year, son (driving) and I were almost broadsided in broad daylight by an elderly female driver in that same location. Woman blithely drove into the thoroughfare on which we were traveling. I saw her pull out, not looking either way. We swerved into the lane to our left which, fortunately, had no cars in it. We then hit the horn, the truck coming up behind hit the horn, the female driver drove on oblivious. I was furious about that event. Wish now we had followed her, got the plate, and reported her to the police.

Today I had a 6:30 a.m. outpatient appt for minor laser eye procedure. It's pitch dark here at that time. No way I could have driven to hospital or back with my impaired vision - and didn't. Son took me. Had he not been available, I would have called a cab. Happily, it appears laser has corrected the issue. Two weeks from now we do the other eye.

No, when the day comes I can't drive for whatever reason - eyesight, reflexes, hearing - I happily relinquish my keys.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

No, when the day comes I can't drive for whatever reason - eyesight, reflexes, hearing - I happily relinquish my keys.
In California, deaf people can obtain driver's licenses.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:56 PM

39,559 posts, read 47,791,125 times
Blind people can drive too...
Legally Blind and Driving |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or