U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times

Advertisements

most Americans don't drive in Europe.

Don't really understand the basis for comparison.

When renewing a drivers license, I do think it'd be better to actually retake the test every few yrs-maybe every other time for under 60, then every time after that. Currently, in PA, you just send in a check,and get a receipt in the mail that lets you get your photo retaken every 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM

761 posts, read 637,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Senors have more experience, therefore better drivers.
Until they begin mental and physical deterioration and become more of a risk to themselves and other drivers.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,016,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they also create dangerous situations many times by driving to slow and forcing others to do unsafe things out of frustration to get around them . many can't see well or hear well

Driving slowly or cautiously does not FORCE you to do anything but drive slowly until you or they part ways. There is technically no MINIMUM speed on sidestreets, only on limited access highways. Maybe you should leave earlier? I mean, I get what you're saying, but again: no one is FORCING you to do anything.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,296,469 times
The most dangerous subset of drivers are the 25 and younger crowd not seniors.

But for some reason the senior bashing is in favor in society today so we get articles about the dangerous older generation. The second most dangerous are the seniors, but unless the kids are mentioned then the whole argument is meaningless.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:00 PM

13,189 posts, read 6,301,958 times
I'm waiting for Google car.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM

536 posts, read 631,086 times
I read somewhere that older drivers tend not to yield right of way, perhaps because the reaction times can be slower. That can be a problem for people who need access to their lane.

Snowbirds aren't always elderly and they are the menace in Boca Raton. Why a person who has sailed through the intersection they are looking for can't just go to the next left turn lane to turn around, is a mystery to me. I saw a lady _backing up_ even though there was a green light and a bunch of people barelling down to her. Twice on my 2 mile drive to work one day last Spring, I saw a person stopped dead in the one-lane road, reading a map. It's as if they are on vacation and nothing bad can happen. It's also as if they have never heard of a parking lot as a good place to regroup or consult the navigator.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:36 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
Seniors get a bashing because they drive much safer and are more aware of their surroundings than the younger people. And how many seniors do you see on a cell phone, eating, or putting on make-up while driving.
In AZ we had to take an eye test and had a restriction noted on our licenses. Now that we have had cataract surgery and don't need glasses that restriction will be removed this year when we re-new our licenses.
The worst group of drivers in our area are between ages 16 and 30.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Driving slowly or cautiously does not FORCE you to do anything but drive slowly until you or they part ways. There is technically no MINIMUM speed on sidestreets, only on limited access highways. Maybe you should leave earlier? I mean, I get what you're saying, but again: no one is FORCING you to do anything.
This is one of those issues where reality and what is ideal are pretty far apart. You are correct that no one is forcing people to go faster but the reality is that they do. If you get out on the road and drive at a speed lower than most other drivers go on the same roads, your odds of being in an accident are higher. The AAA studies generally find the statistically safest speeds to be a few mph over the limit. If someone hits you from behind or while trying to pass, you are technically in the right and won't get charged with the accident. I wish they would set the speed limits at a true limit (they generally set it low knowing people will exceed it) and not allow anyone to travel more than a few mph less except near intersections or when the road isn't clear. It would be so much safer.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 PM

446 posts, read 552,873 times
I had a senior friend who went blind in one eye. He was a terrible driver even before that.

Always wondered about how he was able to keep his license he got so many tickets.

I would think that if your physical condition changes dramatically, a stroke, loss of vision, etc, you should have to pass another driving test.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:47 PM

3,479 posts, read 1,908,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

Would you object to having to renew your driving license more often as you age?
If it were just a vision test, I don't see (pun intended) the point.

Some seniors are dangerous drivers, either because they were never good drivers to begin with or their reflexes and judgement have been impaired by aging and/or prescription medications.

If their driving is really bad, I would think that eventually they'd be pulled over by police, at which point the cops should be able to make a medical referral to have them checked out.

The going fast/slow argument is another matter, I think.
It's true that most seniors learned to drive when speed limits were much lower, so they may feel today's speeds can be unnecessarily and dangerously high (as I do) but they should be able to adapt their driving to the speed limit, when required by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or