U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM

425 posts, read 388,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
My wife, covered by her employer for health insurance, didn't sign up for Medicare Part A until this past December when she was almost 66-1/2...so she didn't do it within a "7 month window" from her 65th birthday..and the only reason she did it then (sign up for Medicare Part A) was because she was planning on retiring at the end of 2015 but then changed her mind and still is working for the same employer.
Part A is different from Part B. Part B is the part you must pay a premium for and your enrollment periods are either around your 65th birthday, or the 7 months from no longer being covered by an employer group health plan, or the general enrollment periods every January to March.

She wants her Part B under the "Special Enrollment Period". Just tell your spouse when she does decide on her retirement month from her job, that she should contact SS to get the forms to sign up for Part B without a penalty under the SEP. One form - the enrollment form for Part B, she completes. The other form, her employer completes, showing that she was covered under their plan at least from age 65 to the present.

And if you are under her plan, you need to get a set of forms for yourself as well. You can also sign up for Part B when she does, assuming you are past age 65 and didn't already enroll on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM

13,269 posts, read 6,356,923 times
If she still working she doesn't have to sign up yet for part B.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:34 AM

425 posts, read 388,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Wonderful. I'll be retiring next March, (not this upcoming one in a couple of weeks, the one after in 2017), at which time I'll be 65 and seven months. I'll probably delay SS for a few months until I reach my FRA.
Well, you are past the time frame of "those complicated rules" I was referring to.

It gets sticky if, as an example, you turn 65 in March of a year and want to retire in say, April, May or June of the same year. Because a person's "Initial Enrollment Period" (IEP) is the 3 months before they turn 65, the month they turn 65, and the three months after 65, April May and June fall into their IEP.

The rules governing the IEP supercede the rules for a Special Enrollment Period and the General Enrollment Period.

So, because of those rules, that person should take Medicare Part B at 65. If they didn't, the IEP would not give them Medicare until months after their sign up date.

The delay begins even in the month you reach 65. If you delay applying until the month you turn 65, Part B begins the next month. If you apply in the month after, you have to wait 2 additional months. And so on.

But remember, I am only talking about those who are retiring around their 65th birthday. Those who keep working, and work for an employer with 20 or more ee's who provide health care,- they can delay and apply under the SEP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or