U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 10:18 AM

10,827 posts, read 8,097,093 times

Advertisements

This reminder only affects those who have or will reach FRA prior to April 31 this year and have not yet filed for SS benefits.

I'm FRA, my spouse is under FRA.
Earlier this month, I filed and suspended my benefits because many reputable sources say that persons who do so prior to the the new law taking effect will probably have these retroactive benefits:

Quote:
Depending on your age, you may have a window of opportunity. First, a person at least age 66 can continue to file and suspend until April 29, 2016. By doing so, your spouse and qualifying family members may be eligible to receive benefits after the law becomes effective. Plus you can continue to receive delayed retirement credits for up to four years. Clearly, if you are 66 or older and intend to do this, you should start the process soon.
Quote:
The changes also will end the option to suspend your benefits and later claim a cumulative lump-sum, or retroactive payment, equal to all of your suspended benefits. If you suspend your benefits before the end of April, however, you can still un-suspend them and collect retroactive payments.
source: Social Security: 5 Things to Know About New Claiming Rules

Like I said, there are many sources that say the same thing. I opted to quote the Time piece because it sums it up better than others.

At this point, it's not guaranteed that sources are correct in saying file-and-suspend benefits will apply retroactively to those who do it before the deadline. Even it turns out they are wrong, I've lost nothing.
But if it turns out they are right and I had missed the window, I would have been very upset!

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-17-2016 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or