U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:31 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,167,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
First you have to decide what's important to you. When I started looking for a retirement home my criteria included warm weather, Second Amendment friendly, no helmet laws, relatively homogeneous population, close to a military base and a reasonable cost of living. Things like public transportation and hospitals were of no concern to me. That allowed me to narrow the search considerably.
And you ended up in Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:09 PM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
So for the last year, I have been attempting to research good locations for me and my wife to retire to. Unfortunately, I'm finding the experience to be annoying and very inefficient. Often times when you visit a specific city forum and ask for advice, all you get are opinions which simply lead to one argument after another (usually led by trolls who feel they're the King of the Hill and no one's opinion matter except for theirs). I was thinking how much easier it would be if you could just check off a bunch of boxes and have a computer populate areas to narrow it down for you. Perhaps they could have categories like COL (or tax advantageous), median weather, outdoor vs city, etc. Does anyone know if there are any good sites that would let you pinpoint a location in this fashion?
As an aside. My plan is this:

Winter here in the PNW (Pacific Northwest Or as some call NorthWET) is usually mild with only 2-3 weeks of nasty cold, then mild cold then medium temps.

But I plan on heading south for those 6 months. TX, Maybe LA, GA, AZ, MS. AK....Summer here is also (Mostly) mild and nice. That's when I'll be here.

Stay in one place for the whole time? Not happening, there's still a desire in this body to see other places...

Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,008,103 times
For most people, reading one of those "10 best places to retire in 2016" articles is enough to go and investigate further. Note that there could be a handful of similiar articles every year with different cities because each article would have different criteria (cities less than 100k population, or median income > $50k, etc etc)

For the most part, any retiree would want to look for medical services, low cost of living and a few other things such as activities, proximity to a university, etc.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-21-2016 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: links to competing sites not permitted

Old 02-19-2016, 07:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,947,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Where we are now, the median home is $669,000 and we get 61" of rain.

Don't despair!

Get out of the areas favored by Chinese crooks, and the wishing prices halve.

Alternatively, wait a couple years. We are headed into "2008 redux". None of the problems from the last crash have been addressed. In short, wild horses could not convince me to become a borrower over the next two years.

Best wishes, Jane

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-21-2016 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: language

Old 02-19-2016, 07:51 PM

1,068 posts, read 817,410 times
Wife and I are thinking about moving to the west coast of Florida in 5 years (Tampa on south). We are planning on spending the Thanksgiving holiday scouting out area (as well as visiting friends). I'll be checking out the listed websites as well as my unscientific approach of figuring out what sort of shopping and dining we enjoy and marking out those zip codes.

Theory being that corporations spend lots of time and money placing their stores close to the demographics that they cater to. Not to say that we would shop at Whole Foods, but of the three that are on the west coast, I would imagine that they are in the range of the more well-to-do neighborhoods. Targets vs. Walmarts and so on. I know there is a plethora of Publix in Florida, but once again, just using them as a reference point in relation to Texas Roadhouses, and Cheesecake Factories. Then on top of that, consideration would we given to Gulf/water access and other recreational activities.

I remember hearing a story that McDonalds would spend all sorts of money figuring out where to place their restaurants just to have Burger King buy the lot across the street.....

Old 02-19-2016, 08:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 663,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Don't despair!

Get out of the areas favored by Chinese crooks, and the wishing prices halve.

Alternatively, wait a couple years. We are headed into "2008 redux". None of the problems from the last crash have been addressed. In short, wild horses could not convince me to become a borrower over the next two years.

Best wishes, Jane
We're actually planning on renting our place out and not selling. And yes, we fully expect another recession, but we also don't think rents are going to come crashing down. We figure we have at least 3 years to decide before we lose out on the capital gains exclusion. Most Economists seem to think the next recession is 2017. And even if prices come down 30%, it's still 30% from the new highs so we're not too worried about it. Best wishes to you also, Jane.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-21-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 08:13 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,652,291 times
We took a different tack to the relocation idea. I found the top ten lists, and other "helps" we're too generic to be useful.

We have loved Hawaii, but the travel and logistics issue for any family visit are a PITA (all the kids are on the mainland), and if you have a family emergency, it is a PITA compounded by huge expenses - so we knew this was not a long term solution.

We set our criteria BEFORE we considered any where. Your list will be yours, but for us it was
A major city within two hours
Shopping and medical within 30-45 minutes
Clean environment (no industry, I have a lot of lung issues)
Land and housing cost below national average
On acreage, not a lot
Less than a day's drive from the kids
Low population density
Natural Beauty (left undefined) with access to outdoor recreation (national parks/forests, etc.)
A college or University nearby

We identified 5 areas to consider that met most or all of the above criteria, and visited all 5. We narrowed it down to 1 area and then did an intensive search with several visits over the last two years. We are an hour and a half from the nearest college, but got everything else, and are quite happy with our choice.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 663,819 times
@ Tuck's Dad

And your choice was ........? Drum roll please!

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 02-19-2016 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 08:25 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
And you ended up in Alaska?

Alaska is my home state. Arizona is our winter home.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,652,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
@ Tuck's Dad

And your choice was ........? Drum roll please!
OK, as I said in my post, this was OUR choice, and won't be everybody's cup of tea, but...

We settled on a small town named Noxon, MT. It's about 40 mns from Sandpoint, ID (Sweitzer Ski resort and conference center), a little over two hours from Spokane, WA, about 8 hours from the furthest kid. The Clark Fork valley is a lot like Heidelberg GE meets Bavaria, and we found 4 acres on the Bull River in a canyon with National Forests surrounding the area but with excellent year round access for a fair price. Jobs are scarce, but I have a significant pension, so it is a non issue.

There is a small clinic about 2 minutes from the house, and a Regional med center (with air lift) about 45 mns driving time away, and a VA center in Sandpoint.

A couple hours from Glacier, and Yellowstone is a comfortable drive, and Banff Canada is doable in a day's drive.

The only thing we missed was a small college (closest is about 1 1/2 hours away in Coure D'Arlene, ID.).

My wife grew up in rural CT and VT, so she is ok with the low population density (looking forward to it, actually).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or