U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 01:05 PM

130 posts, read 92,914 times

Advertisements

My relatives who are in their 70s tell me that one day you can feel great and then suddenly something happens and you feel terrible sickly for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 01:25 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,462,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
My dream job would not have me working more than 40 hours a week - any job that would have me working more than 40 hours would be a nightmare job, not a "dream" job - so there's nothing here for me to discuss.
I don't find GreenGene's response sad at all!

To not want to work long days and long nights and over 40 hours per week is perfectly valid, understandable, and sane for a person of any age .....and definitely for someone who is retired or of retirement age.

Even if it's a desired job, working over 40 hours per week is not something everyone can easily do, as it can be very strenuous.

And it's definitely understandable that an older person who is retired would not want a 40 hour per week job either even it it were a desired position.

There has been a movement of late to bring new energy and thought to ceasing working over 40 hours per week, having more humane work environments, and in gaining more SLEEP.

It would make for a healthier populace.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:01 PM

6,132 posts, read 9,103,325 times
But, you have to remember, a president has numerous aides and peeps at his disposal and can farm out any job or task he wants to. He can just sit in his recliner and give orders, which is what Mr. S may decide to do, if elected.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
But, you have to remember, a president has numerous aides and peeps at his disposal and can farm out any job or task he wants to. He can just sit in his recliner and give orders, which is what Mr. S may decide to do, if elected.
Exactly! There won't be any commuting issues or other things like that. You will have minions to take care of all those things.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:07 PM

I had a colleague (a lady, age 74) who came on board to be a full time case manager at the state job where I also worked. She had been retired for a few years and got bored. I don't think she realized how complex the tasks were, and we certainly tried to help her along the way. But in the end, we all realized she just couldn't keep up and after a couple confrontations with the sup, she left.
She didn't give up entirely though. She just went to another unit where there wasn't as much paperwork required.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:09 PM

Clemencia: You probably can even have someone dress you in the morning if you want !!!

Old 02-19-2016, 02:20 PM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Clemencia: You probably can even have someone dress you in the morning if you want !!!
LOL - do your hair and makeup!

Old 02-19-2016, 02:22 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,574,115 times
Yes. If I were paid properly.

I actually DID do my dream job for awhile on a volunteer basis. But when the organization benefiting from my labor declined to pay me a living salary even after I had more than proven my worth to them, I quit on principle.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:00 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,305,262 times
The best dream JOB is to be 100% retired. It's interesting how many people have been so programed by society to think that a job in any sense of the imagination could be better then being retired.

I do understand that the people that can not break themselves from the programing will always default to going back to work or to working part time, because the 9-5 will satisfy that guilt complex of controlling your own life and give you that feeling of belonging and to get the Atta boy's from the supervisor.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:54 PM

5,533 posts, read 4,123,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Last year I had the opportunity to get into what would have been close to my dream job when I was in my 30s or 40s. It had everything I had always wanted in a job--working in a beautiful setting, working with and learning from people who shared my life views, meeting new people with exciting new ideas, helping others, travel--and I wasn't just close to taking it, I had actually said yes to the position.

But something just didn't feel right about it. I couldn't figure it out, because it was literally what I had hoped would come along back when I was active in my field. And then I realized that this had been my dream of 20 years ago, not my dream of today and at this point in my life, I want to spend my time relaxing and doing whatever the heck I want to do, not waking up with a roster of appointments or a plane to catch. So for me, I know the answer is no.
This is a great post.
People and circumstances change.
As I've gotten older the Lamborghini or Ferrari is no longer my dream car. Too much money to buy, maintain, park, etc. I've had the Ferrari and a bunch of fast sports cars. Now I just want a quiet comfortable Lexus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or