U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 04:08 PM

1,433 posts, read 719,045 times

Advertisements

I would.....but only if my dream job of body painting and/or suntan lotion oiling down of Sports Illustrated/Playboy models ever opened up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The best dream JOB is to be 100% retired. It's interesting how many people have been so programed by society to think that a job in any sense of the imagination could be better then being retired.

I do understand that the people that can not break themselves from the programing will always default to going back to work or to working part time, because the 9-5 will satisfy that guilt complex of controlling your own life and give you that feeling of belonging and to get the Atta boy's from the supervisor.
Because some people have a different point of view than your own does not mean they "have been programmed by society". If you cannot conceive of that, it is your limited imagination which is at fault. That is, you feel a certain way and you cannot imagine that your way is not universal except by arrogantly and condescendingly imputing a sort of brainwashing to those who differ. "Guilt" at controlling one's own life? What an absurdity. True freedom is the freedom to chose among many alternatives, whereas you wish to restrict the "legitimate" choices to the ones you yourself have made.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:14 PM

12,181 posts, read 6,935,590 times
No. I experienced my dream job. It was wonderful. Retirement is better.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:52 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,817,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
My relatives who are in their 70s tell me that one day you can feel great and then suddenly something happens and you feel terrible sickly for the rest of your life.
Are you 'Serious'?

If you want to know if older/retired people feel that Sanders, Clinton, and Trump are too old to carry out the four-year term of President why don't you just ask that?

Enough with the made-up scenarios already.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:17 PM

5,179 posts, read 668,775 times
Tough call as I'm still an artist in search of a medium....

Old 02-19-2016, 05:36 PM

14,216 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
I am specifically asking if you would have the physical and mental energy for that dream job at your age? (If that dream job had full time plus hours- like being the President.)
Well, for me one dream job would be to participate in building an advanced reactor - something like the HTGR at Fort. St. Vrain, a liquid sodium or NaK cooled fast reactor, or a molten salt job like the one run at Oak Ridge in the 60's - in this case, particularly if building the HTGR since I do have some hands-on experience with it - yeah, I would have the energy I had at 20. Given that I'm 58 now, probably would have to retire for real before the job was completely done, but depending on what position I was offered, I would go at it with all I could.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:47 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Quote:

Would YOU have the energy and drive to work 40, 50, 60 hours a week at work and have lots of responsibility? Would your old age catch up with you and cause you to slow down or would the fact that this is your dream job give you the energy to do a great job, regardless of the hours you work. Please discuss.
I had the energy at 58, but do not now have the energy at 68.

But at 58, I had energy for 40 hours of work, not more than 40.

It is apparent, though, that Hillary Clinton does have the energy at 68.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:58 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Quote:
There has been plenty of posts about the age of the candidates for the Presidency, especially about Bernie, age 74. Most of the people who say age is not an issue I suspect are not in their 70s. They don't know how it feels to be in their 70s.

So thought I would change the question somewhat and ask the people who know best what it is like to be old. People on a retirement board!

So if you could go from retirement into a new dream job but it was full time plus with long days and nights of working, would you want to end your retirement and go back into the workforce. Would YOU have the energy and drive to work 40, 50, 60 hours a week at work and have lots of responsibility? Would your old age catch up with you and cause you to slow down or would the fact that this is your dream job give you the energy to do a great job, regardless of the hours you work. Please discuss.
No one would be stupid enough to pay me what I would want for doing such and the exertion (my age and energy needed) would probably kill me thus not be worth it.

I think many that were "forced" into retirement would, and might could, do it but not me.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:06 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,817,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Tough call as I'm still an artist in search of a medium....
Try 'California Psychics'!

Just kidding. Couldn't help myself...lol

Old 02-19-2016, 06:31 PM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think so. But like Bernie, it would not involve having responsibilities to take care of at home. Housework/yardwork etc.

Just do the job and have others take care of the little life details that can be a pain.
^^^^^This would make it very doable. And I'm sure he doesn't have to do his own laundry either. ALL he would have to do is his job. No commute either. He works at home. And someone cooks for him too. Sounds great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or