Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Another thread got me thinking....... Is your retirement the way you thought it would be?

Are you doing the things you talked about and how has it affected your marriage?

Is it better than you though? Are you bored? Are you getting on each other's nerves? Is it better than you thought?

Are you healthier, or are you letting yourself go?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 04:15 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
You can do a search and find many threads about the questions you are asking. Doing a search, above, is quite easy.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:34 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
I'm one of those coma people who just coast without expectations. I never dreamed of being married or becoming a mother, yet both experiences have been stellar and I never planned a retirement, other than the finances. My retirement is everything I never dreamed of. Very happy!

Old 02-09-2016, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 11,952 times
I retired last year at age 50 and I love it. I've been working since I was 20, and I know other people work much longer than that--40, 45, 50+ years--but to me 30 years just seems like a long time! I've taken breaks at age 30 and age 40, but I quickly got anxious and felt like I was missing something--that I was supposed to be working. But this time around--I haven't given work a second thought, so I know this time I was just ready for it. Luckily, I'm a pretty frugal person and have been for a long time, so I am able to retire now.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Approaching 5 years into my retirement. I retired at the age of 51.

Now, having the time and resources, I never imagined that retirement would be this good. I am fortunate and take nothing for granted. Everyday is truly a blessing.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM

987 posts, read 1,386,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Another thread got me thinking.......
Is your retirement the way you thought it would be?
Are you doing the things you talked about and how has it affected your marriage?
Is it better than you though?
Are you bored?
Are you getting on each other's nerves?
Is it better than you thought?
Been retired overseas going on 18 yrs. Yes, our retirement is what I thought it would be and even better, not boring at all!
Hasn't affected our marriage, we still get along just fine.
We are still in good health, I'm now 67, my wife is now a young 50 yr old.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 PM

I'm excited. I haven't worked for the past year, so I'm retired.

My husband retires in a year and a half. We are both 50, so I'm looking forward to all the possibilites.

I just don't want us to become couch potatoes or stop learning/growing.

How many of you sat down with your spouse to discuss your vision for retirement?

I'm a planner...... my husband is more of a fly-by-the-seat of you pants kinda guy.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Been retired overseas going on 18 yrs. Yes, our retirement is what I thought it would be and even better, not boring at all!
Hasn't affected our marriage, we still get along just fine.
We are still in good health, I'm now 67, my wife is now a young 50 yr old.
Been retired for going on 29 years (13 overseas) not bored either. Marriage gets stronger every day.
Great health, 2 young kids 10 and 1, I'm 62, my wife is now 34.
Enjoy retirement and life!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:01 PM

For those overseas - where did you choose and why?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Another thread got me thinking....... Is your retirement the way you thought it would be?

Is it better than you though? Are you bored? Are you getting on each other's nerves? Is it better than you thought?

Retirement has been going a lot BETTER than what I expected in May 2013. It was going so well that my wife decided to come along and retired in April 2015. It was a good decision to retire at different times as it gave me time to plan the finances, find a new place to move, and to figure out a few of the logistics.

We are doing pretty much whatever we want to do. Some activities are joint activities, some are separate activities, based on our interest level. The hardest part of the transition was that we sold our house in Illinois before the AZ place was ready and it took us until last summer to decide what to do with our new place decorating wise. Now that everything is pretty much done, we are really enjoying ourselves,

Of course, we get on each other's nerves. We are married. If there is no friction, there is probably no relationship. Our friction is generally about our downsized home and our decision to move to one vehicle. However, our negotiation skills have improved and those problems are subsiding.

I used to work 50-70 hours a week in corporate finance. Yes, my health has improved. My wife has lost a lot of weight. I have not because I have significantly improved my cooking skills.

To be honest with you, I never get very bored. We are the youngsters in an older neighborhood. We have been helping some of our neighbors out as they have spouses in the hospitals. We cook for some of the shut-ins (and one neighbor has cooked for us the past week as we have been ill).

My wife in the course of a week does tai-chi at least twice a week, water aerobics 2-3 times a week as an instructor, and walks 5+ miles each day. She serves on one committee in the HOA, one committee on the local recreation committee and is asked to serve on many she has turned down. We also work on the lecture series.

I volunteer with two local charities of an educational area.

In other words, we are having a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement