U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 PM

284 posts, read 260,676 times

Advertisements

Y'all are a great sounding board for ideas, so here goes. I'm planning to retire at the first of next year and will have just turned 57. I've got some interests to pursue and some projects around the house I'm putting off till then, but am also thinking of possible part time jobs that I might "like" to do after I've decompressed. I've had a professional, office job for the past 35 years, and part of my reason for early retirement is just being burned out sitting behind a desk all day. I'm really wanting to do something different if I do decide to work some. This may be crazy talk, but I'm thinking about waitressing or bartending at a locally owned restaurant my DH and I enjoy going to, maybe just 2 or 3 shifts a week. It can be busy at times, but is overall pretty laid back with a good clientele. I've waitressed a couple different times back in my 20's and really enjoyed it. Any thoughts? Also, what jobs have you all picked up along the way that were drastically different than your careers and how did that work for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 01:40 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,779,038 times
This will certainly NOT apply to very many retirees, but my motorcycling hobby morphed into two different paid jobs. The jobs did not pay very well, but that was irrelevant to me because getting paid for riding a motorcycle was just great in my book. The first job was as an official (referee) at bicycle road races - I rode a motorcylcle behind the pack of bicycle racers (or sometimes in front of them) to enforce the rules and enhance safety. (I had previously raced bicycles for a brief time, so this was actually a combination of two separate hobbies).

The other job was as a funeral escrot rider - stopping traffic at intersections so the funeral procession could stay together on the way to the cemetery.

Both these jobs started as moonlighting jobs before my retirement from my full-time career, but I continued them for a few years after retirement. Then when they eventually became a chore instead of an adventure I quit and also stopped riding motorcycles altogether.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM

1,927 posts, read 997,223 times
As far as waiting tables and bartending, I think it depends on whether or not you can be on your feet for the length of the shift. I would start training now even if you are in fairly good shape.

Your plan sounds like a good one to me.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 PM

890 posts, read 680,454 times
I've always thought it would be fun to have a post-retirement job as a Trader Joe's bagger. They all seem like they like their work. Or a Wal Mart greeter but I believe you've got to be at least 80 years old to apply.

And if you're a tough guy, how about a security guard at the neighborhood senior center bingo parlor. I hear things can get rough and tough there at times.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:19 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,988,804 times
Great topic, I can relate to this. When I moved to Texas from Michigan in 2003, my husband retired and I froze my time of over 16 years (I was vested for pension), and had another pension from another job I held for 10 years. I did not want another "9 to 5" job, I wanted "fun" jobs, and that is exactly what I have been blessed with.

First, I worked 6 months at an "I Sold it on Ebay" franchise in 2004-2005. Then I worked 14 weeks at a call center through an employment agency in 2005. Out of 30 of us who started, I was the only one who stuck it out!

After a month in England for the birth of my first grandchild, I returned home for the holidays. In January 2006, I got a part-time job at a local veterinary clinic. I worked there for 2 1/2 years, with a 4 1/2 month break to care for the grandchild in England while her military parents served our country. In August 2008 I got a full time position at the local University with one of their vendor contractors. I stayed there 2 1/2 years until my marriage ended in early 2011 and I returned to Michigan in 2012.

I returned to Texas within 5 months. Upon my return my friend, who is a RE agent and has a few properties she manages, hired me to do filing and other clerical duties for her in her home business in January 2013. In January 2014 I was asked if I would like to take over the sexton (professional term for "cleaner") position at my church. So, I clean my church in the mornings and work for my friend in the afternoons, M-Th, 10-6. I usually take Fridays off from both. I manage my own time and hours, and am able to change my work times when I want to do something with a friend or with my community.

I have been blessed!

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 02-19-2016 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 PM

4,990 posts, read 3,482,361 times
You have certainly been blessed! I sense that you have found joy in the bonuses you have been given. Enjoy! It sounds like you deserve it.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:17 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,988,804 times
Why, thank you, Meo. You are very kind. And you understand.............

Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 PM

4,990 posts, read 3,482,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Why, thank you, Meo. You are very kind. And you understand.............
Yes I do understand. I was in a high stress job, which I loved, when my position was eliminated. I then worked in a frozen yogurt place as a cashier. Then, when my family said my sister needed help with our mom, I came home. In between helping her with mom, I did home care assistance. I found it refreshing & fulfilling to help elders older than me keep their independence. Yes, there were many cleanup jobs, but I always felt good that I was able to help them.

Quite a difference from dealing with 10 things at one time, but how refreshing to hear the thank you' s.
For you, It's got to be wonderful getting your thanks from God's representatives.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,707,485 times
After 30 years at a research desk job I retired and found a part-time job with my city government that was an enjoyable mix of desk work, creative work and outdoors work. They were happy to have me. I did that for seven years and enjoyed it more than the last seven of my regular job. I already had benefits and medical from my retirement so this was just for pocket money and I had a four day weekend each week. There are often a number of projects on the back burner in city government and they will hire a part-timer to get some of it accomplished.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:34 AM

72,033 posts, read 72,043,164 times
after retirement my wife and i are developing our photography business on a fun level .

i went back to drumming as well since i have the time and may actually start doing some gigs again .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or