Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:15 PM

130 posts, read 129,570 times

Advertisements

The retirement board on City Data is full of people who made good decisions when they were younger and now have a wonderful retirement. Many of my fellow posters invested well, saved well and picked their career well. Now other than a few aches and pains they are living in heaven during retirement.

When I officially retire, it will be dismal because my wife and I squandered our money when we were young.

We invested in stocks vs. mutual funds/index funds. (These wild cards did poorly.)

We ate out way too much.

Spent a mint at Starbucks and the local bar

Tried to buy friendships by having the most beautiful home and clothes (I wanted to fit in with the in crowd)

Sent all our kids to private school and small liberal arts colleges

Never paid off our credit cards so ended up spending tons of money on interest.

I could go on and on.
----------------------------
Anyone else like us here?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:26 PM

7,135 posts, read 9,213,455 times
troll?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,323,895 times
You are asking a question that has been asked. Over, and over and over...

Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,197,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
The retirement board on City Data is full of people who made good decisions when they were younger and now have a wonderful retirement. Many of my fellow posters invested well, saved well and picked their career well. Now other than a few aches and pains they are living in heaven during retirement.

When I officially retire, it will be dismal because my wife and I squandered our money when we were young.

We invested in stocks vs. mutual funds/index funds. (These wild cards did poorly.)

We ate out way too much.

Tried to buy friendships by having the most beautiful home and clothes (I wanted to fit in with the in crowd)

I could go on and on.
The bad news, growing old ain't fun, even with an adequate income. Being old and broke is going to be worse.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:51 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,245,804 times
Quote:

We ate out way too much.

I could go on and on.
How old are you? From what I remember you telling us you are still young. This post doesn't sound true to your personal story.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,788,848 times
Sell your house, downsize. You don't really need those $200 a month iPhones, and $300 a month tv bills. You can have a great retirement if you want to.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,786,213 times
Quote:

We ate out way too much.

I could go on and on.
Most people who did this sort of thing won't admit it, so I'm also thinking troll post.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:22 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,058,949 times
Quote:
"Dismal" in what way?

Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,458,831 times
It's not too late to turn to a life of crime.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM

21,589 posts, read 12,657,599 times
The dead giveaway? The people who do this never realize it, and CERTAINLY never admit it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement