U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,232 posts, read 5,460,201 times

Advertisements

Ive gotten a few calls myself. I may be old but Im not senile. Yet.

FYI. The newest scam is that now they are sending out fake emails from the IRS, other financial sites, and tax prep sites too. Some of them say they are from legit tax preparers like H &R Block etc. I have used H &R Block in the past so I can seek where a more trusting person might get sucked in.

We all need to make a mental note.
Don't click on nuttin. Even if you think you know where it came from.
If you think its legit then contact them direct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,977,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So the same government that is going to "vet" Syrian refugees and protect us from terrorists cannot even track down con artists using phones? Yup, that's our government inaction.
If they DID use the technology needed to track down this type of stuff, you would be complaining about THAT. It's not that they cannot, but that it would be a violation of your privacy if they did.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM

1,069 posts, read 805,155 times
If I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up the phone.

If it's important, a number that doesn't have a name attached to it, in my cell phone can leave me a message ----- and guess what ----- 90% of them don't --- fancy that

As far S e-mails, they get deleted without being opened. Once in awhile I call the local government and my tax accountant to see if anyone really is looking for me, and as I suspected, nobody legitimate is

Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 AM

2,636 posts, read 1,542,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
If I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up the phone.

If it's important, a number that doesn't have a name attached to it, in my cell phone can leave me a message ----- and guess what ----- 90% of them don't --- fancy that

As far S e-mails, they get deleted without being opened. . .

Exactly my approach. Tho I am sometimes tempted to answer and have fun with the scammers or salespeople, I know that will just verify that they can reach someone at my number.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 AM

437 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
We all need to make a mental note.
Don't click on nuttin. Even if you think you know where it came from.
If you think its legit then contact them direct.
This is an important point. Don't click any links from unknown sources or emails. It could lead you to a very well crafted lookalike phishing site that looks almost identical to the 'legitimate' website. Once on the bad site, you may unknowingly get malware installed on your computer.

Rule of thumb: If anyone is trying to get you to pay right now or else there will be dire consequences, or they try to get you to pay via cards you have to purchase, or send a Western Union transfer, or some other non-traditional means, they are probably scammers.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:03 PM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
You have been convicted of fraud in absentia based on your confession. Wire $10,000 to CapnTrips, c/o this website, or face arrest by the U.S. Marshall Service.

Send me your bank account information and I will transfer funds from my Nigerian bank account immediately.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:06 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
Poetic justice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TwA2BsTAs

Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,338,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Transfer them to "Accounting" along with a long, complex "case reference number" they need to remember. Accounting will then transfer them to "Legal", who after learning they haven't submitted a completed Form 27B/6 will refer them to "Compliance", who will eventually refer them back to "Accounting".
I did that to an auditor once. I knew where the info was, but I was too busy to show her at the time. So I sent her to the person who should have known and that person sent her to someone else and so on. I knew it would come full circle, but a day or two would pass and I'd have time to help her. Another co-worker stormed up to me saying I made her cry, but all I did was send her to the person responsible before helping her.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Another fun one (and there are many more of these on YouTube - enjoy!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpvYJ7qw_wk

Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM

More brutally (in this case, not the IRS one, but its evil cousin, the Microsoft one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qIKbgIQkEw

Now, beyond these sorts of countermeasures, there is now an ap that will automatically call another number then patch it into the scam call. There is a "roboanswerer" who takes over from you and will drive the scammer completely bonkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement