U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,377,439 times

Advertisements

I did receive an email from the "IRS" saying I needed to update my information and they provided a convenient link to click on. Just think what information they would have gotten, my login info and any info they requested to be updated. This was obliviously a scam, but I don't use links on emails I know are good. I always go the links stored in my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 12:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 4,782,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
If they DID use the technology needed to track down this type of stuff, you would be complaining about THAT. It's not that they cannot, but that it would be a violation of your privacy if they did.

Nonsense. This is not the same as spying on the unsuspecting public, tapping phones, or collecting piles of data on every aspect of the lives of US citizens. If someone reports a con artist phone call, the government should be able to quickly identify the source of the call and take action. At that point probable cause could justify a judge's permission to investigate and take legal action.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM

36,486 posts, read 43,907,340 times
and I should be able to click my heels three times, be 21 again and weigh 119 but it ain't gonna happen.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:27 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,850,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Nonsense. This is not the same as spying on the unsuspecting public, tapping phones, or collecting piles of data on every aspect of the lives of US citizens. If someone reports a con artist phone call, the government should be able to quickly identify the source of the call and take action. At that point probable cause could justify a judge's permission to investigate and take legal action.
And by that time, the scammer has already gone through five different (fake) phone numbers.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:31 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,989,315 times
Quote:
Umm, right. That may have worked back in the days when telephones were hard-wired, physical connections. Even then it was not nearly as simple as you think.
Now, most of these guys call from outside the US. They can be anywhere in the world. And by the time a report gets posted, and someone can try to trace them back, they have long since abandoned whatever connection was used for that incident.

Good luck with that.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:35 PM

The similar scam going around is the calls that claim to be from the City, or County, claiming that you failed to pay a ticket, and there is a warrant out for your arrest.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM

7,344 posts, read 4,205,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have gotten a similar threatening call a few times for past "IRS fines" supposedly due. The man identifies himself as "Steve Martin" & the phone # traces back to central CA, I forget the exact area since I traced it a few months ago. I got another call from "Steve" 2 days ago, I don't answer strange incoming numbers, & he left the same msg.

I see on the interwebs others that have received the same threatening sounding call from "Steve" too. Obviously worth his time, I guess some must be paying.

It isn't a robocall either, or it didn't sound like one, so he must have gotten my # from somewhere I filled out a form for something legit & he bought a list. On most web forms that aren't important I purposely put a wrong phone number off by 2 digits just for this purpose.
I'm sure the person who has your fake phone number appreciates all the calls meant for you.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:49 AM

450 posts, read 342,844 times
As long as our legal system coddles the bad guys and only gives these crooks a slap on the wrist they will persist. Scamming should be upgraded to felony charges and scammers and thieves should be made to pay back double what they stole. Until something like this becomes law common sense and using caller ID and not answering unknown calls will remain our best defense.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 4,782,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Umm, right. That may have worked back in the days when telephones were hard-wired, physical connections. Even then it was not nearly as simple as you think.
Now, most of these guys call from outside the US. They can be anywhere in the world. And by the time a report gets posted, and someone can try to trace them back, they have long since abandoned whatever connection was used for that incident.

Good luck with that.
Do you really think it would be difficult to track back on phone calls? Wired or cell phone it does not matter. Records of calls - but not the content - are maintained, if nothing else for billing purposes. Easy or not, our government has sunk into sheer incompetence and seems capable of doing almost nothing correctly.

Years ago, I had a car stolen and also received information on its location. The police took the report but would not investigate. They told me that many cars per day were stolen and never recovered because they were taken to chop shops and sold for parts. How could they possibly investigate all of those incidents? I suggested maybe investigating just one would allow them to bust a chop shop. That did not happen. Nor did I ever hear of any successful busts in my area. It seems that 90% of police "action" is just pretense. Unfortunately the serious criminals figure that out quickly.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Do you really think it would be difficult to track back on phone calls? Wired or cell phone it does not matter. Records of calls - but not the content - are maintained, if nothing else for billing purposes. Easy or not, our government has sunk into sheer incompetence and seems capable of doing almost nothing correctly.

Years ago, I had a car stolen and also received information on its location. The police took the report but would not investigate. They told me that many cars per day were stolen and never recovered because they were taken to chop shops and sold for parts. How could they possibly investigate all of those incidents? I suggested maybe investigating just one would allow them to bust a chop shop. That did not happen. Nor did I ever hear of any successful busts in my area. It seems that 90% of police "action" is just pretense. Unfortunately the serious criminals figure that out quickly.
I can, very quickly, set up a VoIP call, and make it appear to be from any telephone number in the country. I can do this from any country in the world. When I call you, you will see a caller ID, and your bill may reflect the call from that caller ID. However, all of that information is faked, An after the fact trace of the call will take you to the nearest exchange on the receiving side.

It would take an enormous amount of focused effort to track back to the origination point.

And if I, an amateur, can do this with little effort, the scammers can probably do much more with a little effort on their part.

Blame it on the gummint, if you like.
It seems to me the solution is to educate yourself so you don't fall for such things.

Honestly, how stupid must one be to fall for such scams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement