U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 PM

7,373 posts, read 4,227,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I lived in a high rise building and one day two chain smokers moved in below me. My condo smelled so bad of cigarette smoke that I knew I couldn't take it.
So I went to my vision board and put up a drawing using stick figures of the people moving out of the building. They were carrying suitcases with cigarettes hanging out of there mouths. I was sitting on a lawn chair at the moving dock watching with a glass of wine in my hand.
Later I discovered a clause they violated in their rental agreement and they had to move out. When something on my vision board comes true, I believe I should match the original vision. So I poured my wine and took my chair and watched them move out from a distance. I was so happy to be able to breath again without smelling smoke.
That is just one example of the power of my vision board.

Wouldn't a voodoo doll have been more effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 PM

29,946 posts, read 34,988,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Don't know how long "trends" are, I first learned about vision boards or treasure maps in the 80's. I guess it's a trend that's here to stay, and it has worked for me and many I know.

I don't need to convince you though, I'm convinced and that's enough for me
Just about every coach and every athlete has themselves making the critical play at the critical time in the big game as part of their vision. When given the chance in a real situation.........

Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,165,267 times
I'm more inclined to agree with the author of this article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...vision-board-0

Quote:
Vision board are for dreaming, action boards are for achieving
Conclusion: Fantasizing about your perfect world and your perfect life may make you feel better in the short term but will limit your ability to transform your dreams into reality. Convert your vision boards to action boards.

Dream about it, envision how you will realistically do it or get it, and then get off your tush and make it happen.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 PM

19,996 posts, read 18,996,168 times
I like the idea and will have to go back and read about it.

I didn't have time to visualize for retirement; pre-retirement was a time of terrible stress with the illnesses and deaths of all four of our parents. Kinda wrecked everything for quite a few years.

But last spring I set my profile at A Ship is Safe in Harbor....

And began to put together our plans for a trip back to England. To see my family, to see his first grandchild, to see parts of the country I had never seen before and get off the beaten path. It all came true. We had the time of our lives and it was far better than I had expected.

It might have had something to do with positive thinking and knowing we could somehow make it work, even on the limited income.

I could visualize now that our next move will be for the best and will work out. Also that the money that dh was robbed of by his former lawyer would be recovered. Positive thinking. What's the point of being negative and doing all this worrying anyway? Thanks for posting this.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:13 AM

2,467 posts, read 1,694,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I'm more inclined to agree with the author of this article

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...vision-board-0
Thanks for the link, its message resonated with me more than the OP's link. Positive thinking and goal visualization have value, but learning from the negative is essential.
Quote:
3) The universe may have other plans. We don’t know if there are other, greater plans behind the curtain. Thus, not achieving our goals may actually be beneficial for us. The outcome, while apparently negative, may be a blessing in disguise. Rather than blaming yourself, you would be better off finding the silver lining, looking for lessons learned and realizing how this apparent failure can be beneficial.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-24-2016 at 04:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 06:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 3,283,900 times
I am so grateful to all of you who have talked about visualization and it actually working. I have heard about doing this but put it somewhere on the back burner as I had some other urgent things over the years (all family related) that I lost track of using visualization as a tool. Things were pretty bleak for a long time but am noticing there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

I will be 74 in April and still have debt. I have to start seeing myself as "young" enough to start this process, to believe it does work, and to have patience with myself. I don't expect a miracle to relieve my debt, but the majority of it will be paid in 4 years. At that time, things will be brighter.

But meanwhile, there are a lot of "little" things I can do to enjoy retirement.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 PM

13,912 posts, read 25,410,325 times
Hey... I am great at visualization. I can easily visualize myself as a beautiful, young, gajillionaire. You know, the top 1% of the 1%. The kind who uses $200 toilet paper(yes, there is such a thing). Only problem is when I wake up and run to look in the mirror, it's the same old me. Just 1 day older!

Oh well. Just like buying a useless lotto ticket, sometimes the joy of wishing is worth the time and money invested!

Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 AM

18,887 posts, read 9,728,259 times
Visualization works magic. I learned happenstance when I was 16-17 yoa and visualized constantly about winning a state basketball championship...it happened to everyone elses shock. Also works for your career, retirement, whatever your goal is.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM

29,946 posts, read 34,988,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Visualization works magic. I learned happenstance when I was 16-17 yoa and visualized constantly about winning a state basketball championship...it happened to everyone elses shock. Also works for your career, retirement, whatever your goal is.
Yeah, it is one of life's great realities of how we can play a major role in shaping our results when opportunity presents. Opportunity may not always be there but when it is, preparation for is great. I don't visualize the thrill of actually suddenly getting money but I do visualize and contemplate how do deal with any windfall.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:16 PM

39,393 posts, read 20,484,668 times
A visualization board and mind mapping. Mind mapping organizes the actions needed to achieve the goal into smaller pieces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement