Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:39 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times

Advertisements

I am not even a 15 percenter and that article is exactly what I Said I Was going to do many months ago. However, even though it is unlikely that we will have a million (pretax) banked, we do have the benefits of pensions, which makes delaying much easier. The debate has always been "does the reduction of savings now actually benefit the longevity of the savings later because the reduced early MRDs, and larger only 85% taxed COLA SS reduces needed withdrawals" outweighs the early living withdrawals to delay. The article suggests that is just the case, and my RIP and FIREcalc calcs at the time said the same thing. Its nice to get independent verification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
It's good information that I was already very aware of and does affect when I will start taking my 401K money our as well as social security. One thing that you can't plan on is changes in policy in the future. Best to use good advice when you get close to retirement to make sure your plan pencils out.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:19 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
The nice thing about deferring Social Security until age 70 is that it's fully inflation-protected for the remainder of your life. It's the conservative bet to play.

Unless Congress starts indexing Social Security taxation to inflation, I'm looking to be 50% taxable on my Social Security check no matter what I do. I'll have to run the numbers when I get much closer to retiring 8 years from now to work out the best strategy to minimize Medicare premiums and income taxes. There are too many variables and unknowns.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I'm only using the term one percenter drivel because other poster used it. I have no idea what $2 million belongs in what percent and what that entails. Is that for liquid asset, networth? Who knows and who cares. It's the vagueness that politicians been railing about.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm only using the term one percenter drivel because other poster used it. I have no idea what $2 million belongs in what percent and what that entails. Is that for liquid asset, networth? Who knows and who cares. It's the vagueness that politicians been railing about.
Top-20% household income starts at $111,000. More or less, that's upper middle class at least in the lower cost of living places. If you have an employer with a decent 401(k) match and do your best to max it out every year, it can pile up to $2 million in your work career. It's also tied into how aggressive your portfolio is and how the market performs over your work life.

For someone at $50K median household income, I don't see how it could be possible.

I think the whole $2 million thing is targeted at those upper middle class people with a poor savings rate. It's human nature to expand your spending to consume all your income.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
2 million generates about 70k-80k , plus ss is a bit over 100-120k before taxes which here in nyc hardy makes you upper class . in fact it would be barely a middle class life style .

so it is going to be about location location location .

one other huge factor that creates more misery then any other .

drawing around 4% inflation adjusted assumes the complete consumption of all principals can happen by the 30th year . under worst case outcomes it will happen .

since you do not know whether you will be that worst case scenario , average or the best of times just like when working you need to have money tucked away .

well that money can't be counted as part of that income stream . whether it is for major expenses , long term care or healthcare costs that shoot up or just the fact you live beyond 30 years you do need to have money in reserve . so that does reduce the amounts that can be counted on income wise . i know we have 15% of the pie set a side and while invested we don't count it in the income stream since it could be depleted to zero as income .

the worst thing to have is no choices in life and choices take money , especially when it comes to your health and care

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-26-2016 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement