U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

Roommates in Retirement
I am currently working on my Doctoral Dissertation in the area of Retirement Living. I am focusining on people that share resources in retirement, i.e. housing expenses. If you are currently over 55 and sharing a home to save money I would love the opportunity to interview you for my work. All information is kept confidential and all work will be made available for you to review before being published.

Thanks
Christina
professorc.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM

10,016 posts, read 9,862,665 times
Probably will see more communal type living for retirees since the cost of housing and other expenses (real estate taxes, insurance, utilities) that people on limited budget will move in together. And as boomers who don't have a pension get near that age, you'd expect more and more retired roommates.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,635,450 times
One of my friends my age -- who is also not yet retired -- joked that we single people, when we are older, will need to live together: one person will be our eyes , one will be our legs , another will be the ears , and another will be the memory! Sounds good to me!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 AM

1,863 posts, read 2,174,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladystas View Post
Roommates in Retirement
I am currently working on my Doctoral Dissertation in the area of Retirement Living. I am focusining on people that share resources in retirement, i.e. housing expenses. If you are currently over 55 and sharing a home to save money I would love the opportunity to interview you for my work. All information is kept confidential and all work will be made available for you to review before being published.

Thanks
Christina
professorc.net
That's interesting, because my friends and I have been talking about this. We're a bunch of lesbians, some with partners, some without, and we figure we'll sell our houses/condos in a few years and live together in a big house.

It's back to the commune for us Baby Boomers! No one can afford to live alone after retirement, unless you're quite well-off. This way, depending on how many of us sign up for it, we might even be able to have some fun in retirement!

You're totally right that this will be an option for many of us. I can't tell you much more about it, because I'm not doing it yet. I would love to see your results when you can tell us a little bit about what people are doing, for the rest of us to get ideas.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,488 times
Hy Ladytas ... I've been looking for other boomers wanting to share a house, or at the least a roomate situation here in the Atlanta area? Really interested if you, or others, have any information.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:39 PM

6,310 posts, read 3,279,359 times
Good luck, I'd love to read the results. Though there are homesharing situations, and lots of talk, I've yet to see people make this happen in the boomer group. I too would like to live in such a situation, at some point in FL.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 AM

497 posts, read 902,930 times
Retired Roomates, Travel Companions, Vacation Home Trades, retiredroommates.com

Seniors Accommodation Roommates Wanted - Find a Seniors Accommodation Roommate with Roommate Click

I have never enjoyed living with roommates--something I had to do while working my way through college. As I grow older living alone, I can imagine there would be advantages in addition to cost sharing. But, how to give up my intense need for independence?

Regarding the above links, senior roommates does seem like an idea whose time has come. And I'll bet we see a great deal more of it in the future.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

11,280 posts, read 18,945,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladystas View Post
Roommates in Retirement
I am currently working on my Doctoral Dissertation in the area of Retirement Living. I am focusining on people that share resources in retirement, i.e. housing expenses.
Don't forget about senior co-ops!!! (Not all are 'sharing' situations but there is a significant benefit of CARING, as noted by USDA study)
Senior Cooperative Foundation (Jill's Dissertation is interesting to me, as it focuses on rural living for seniors who served their life in a farming community). I have a good contact (administrator) at a 'homestead'; Valley View (Eden Prairie) admin is a wealth of info for the more conventional 'newer style' co-op. A very interesting senior co-op in Olympia Washington started by retired teachers - Hillcrest (fixed up an old motel for senior housing). (Tough to get 'inside' info from these folks, maybe you can be more successful). There must be many 'informal' co-ops, let me know what you find, (look in Davis, CA, Madison, WI, MSP, VT, NH, NC, OR, WA). I may have to create some. Mine will probably be semi rural (<10 min to health care / college / culture and <30 min to airport) with combination of cottages, apartments, common space kitchen, craft, gardening, garage / shop. Look to Denmark as a sample of this type of communal senior living. (more often inter-generational there). I will also look at international options, as the USA my be too tax burdened in the near future. I have senior friends who share space in Mexico. (built a guest house on a farm)

Also search through the IC info
Intentional Communities - ecovillages, communes, cohousing, coops

It is rare to find 55 or even 75 yr olds doing this (Sharing / rooming / caring).
Unfortunately, the USA culture values it's independence to the point of error, where 'reasonable-ness' turns contrary, and oft older folks become insistent on retaining control of their choices much to their own disadvantage. There is no 'magical' age, it depends on stress, health, and fear. Finances play huge into these choices. Oft older folks will live in poverty to 'leave-a-financial-legacy' for their 'selfish' kids (who frequently are harder to work with than their parents ). This is only getting worse as we get to the 'entitlement' gens.

I have helped couples set-up 'live-in' or drop-in' care.

I try to help seniors into the most suitable 'long-term' solution, it really rips me up to have to separate them due to changing care needs, this option is VERY expensive and painful.

Helpful Hint.... promote finding / determining long-term care logistics FAR ahead of need.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM

354 posts, read 593,574 times
Default Roommates in retirement?

Ok, if you need to find a situation to share expenses on a quality housing I can see the attraction. Or if you have a place but could use help maintaining it and keeping up with day-to-day activites might be another reason.

If neither applies what is the incentive in sharing close quarters with a stranger who as pleasant as they may be will require compromises on privacy and how you live unless we are talking about a large enough place that it would not be much of an issue.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 AM

11,280 posts, read 18,945,577 times
1) security/ functionality. Having someone live in the joint so I can travel the world at will. (Otherwise the meth heads will clean me out in a week). I could easily be gone for 6 moths or 6 yrs if I had the choice, but having a home to return would be nice + keeping antiques / heirlooms while I'm gone + having space for my 'Guest-home' guests to stay while they travel.
2) conservation (energy... fossil fuels AND human energy)- Why have 2 households run lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners, wash windows, cook / shop independently, write utility bills...
3) Lifestyle of choice - (maybe not your's or mine, but... I have several contacts attempting to find good senior shared living arrangements.)
4) shared responsibility - some aging folks don't want to be landlords OR renters OR sole homeowners. They are looking for 'shared' equity / co-op management, and 'help' with the details of home ownership.
5) shared financial burden - say for instance, you have a $300k 'daylight basement' pristine view home with a complete separate living space on each floor? Having it paid off = $300k Liability costing you money (taxes / insurance / maint). Along comes 'shared equity / Joe co-op' and contributes 1/2 the equity. You free up $150k + 50% of costs that can go toward significantly improving your lifestyle NOW. Not fund the nursing home LATER.
6) additional income - this is way far down my list, but maybe not for some.

That's just a couple reasons I can think of at the moment, there are many more. Each circumstance / facility is uniquely different, but every home I've owned has had separate qtrs / entrance in case needed. I rented a couple joints that were not conducive to that. Currently I have several acres so could do multiple RV sites, or apartments in out-buildings / barns / shops, and it wouldn't bother me to have a few folks around (County Planning on the other hand...)..
(tenants / equity shareholders are free to mow the grass, or help around the farm ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement